Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR Display

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Please comment on your personal experience with display visibility outdoors.
I haven't seen this topic discussed on the Board as of yet, and I consider this a very important element of any fitness tracker.
I purchased the Alta in April of 2016. I had owned the Charge but wanted a more slim profile; something I could wear on a daily basis which wouldn't be so bulky. I was thrilled to be using my new tracker until... I, along with several other Alta users, realized that the display was very difficult to read in sunlight.
There was a Board dedicated to this issue and, although there were no promises, there were indications that Fitbit would be looking at the issue.
Fast forward to the announcement of the new Alta HR release. I so badly wanted to hear that this old issue had been resolved on the new Alta HR. With so many complaints about the difficulty in reading the display outside on the original Alta, I actually anticipated that, no doubt, it had been addressed. Wrong.
I spoke to 2 different reps by phone as well as writing a lengthy email inquiring about this "hoped for" improvement only to be sorely disappointed to learn that the issue had not been addressed.
How can such an essential element of a fitness tracker be, seemingly, ignored? I'm still puzzled by Fitbit's lack of interest in correcting this important feature flaw.
I understand that many people exercise indoors, which would negate the problem of visibility in sunlight, but outdoor activity also enjoys a large number of participants.
What has been your experience with the new Alta HR?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
139 REPLIES 139

@Meemanders wow that is interesting! I have never seen an Alta so I just assumed the screen brightness was the same. I wonder why the HR has such a low light screen display?

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Hmm...I have the Alta (not the HR) and it's impossible to see outdoors. So I'm wondering if the HR is basically the same...

Later note: I now have the Alta HR and it's much better outside than my Alta was....

Best Answer
When I got the email announcement that the Alta HR was being released, I
was so excited. But just to make sure, I emailed and even called to follow
up to be certain that this issue had been taken care of.
I *could not believe it *when I was told that *the issue had NOT BEEN
ADDRESSED:exclamation_mark:️*
I bought my Alta in April 2016 (I *thought* I was *upgrading* having used
the CHARGE previously*) *and took to the Boards on April 14, 2016 to voice
my disappointment and appeal to FITBIT*. *There were *several* comments on
this particular thread.
I was unable to use my Alta for several months because of an unrelated
issue. So I was *so *excited about the Alta HR. But just to make
sure...that's when I got the disappointing news.
I expressed my great disappointment, both by phone and in writing, but
there seems to be *NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT *of this issue *by Fitbit*. I'm
still incredulous that they have, *seemingly,*ignored our cries. I just
don't know what to think.
I love the fact that Fitbit has such an activity Community, with outlets to
share among so many. And since I have been established as a user since my
first Charge Tracker I was hopeful that they had rectified this *important
issue *so that I could once again rejoin the community.* It's still beyond
my comprehension why this has NOT BEEN ADDRESSED.???*

*FITBIT, the ball is in your court and we anxiously await your reply.*
--
*"My people perish for lack of knowledge." *
* The Book of Hosea*

*"The difficulty in life is the CHOICE." *
* George Augustus Moore*
Best Answer

I mentioned my complaint on a live chat last week and was told this would be noted !

my Alta hr is being posted back for a refund tomorrow, as I think the many failings make it unfit for purpose !

and it's far too expensive.

Best Answer

I can't view my display at all on my Alta hr outdoors in the daylight. I called Fitbit was told this is the way it is designed. So I'm returning mine. I wanted to see my hr in real time wile on the outdoor track.

Best Answer

@patkac wrote:

I can't view my display at all on my Alta hr outdoors in the daylight. I called Fitbit was told this is the way it is designed. So I'm returning mine. I wanted to see my hr in real time wile on the outdoor track.

This will be true for anything with an LED display. The only Fitbits that can be seen in the day are the Surge and the Zip. I don't blame you for returning the Alta.

Best Answer

Thanks, BoldBlue for your question and comments.  And yes, it REALLY IS that hard to see in outdoor light.  

I fully understand your point about smaller construction and battery power, but is it really so hard to understand why so many of us are greatly disappointed that FitBit was not forthcoming, BEFORE RELEASE of the new Alta HR?  This way, those needing outdoor visibility might have been forewarned that the issue remains.   I could, at least, respect their INTEGRITY in admitting that the new Alta HR has the same display and may STILL not be the right tracker for outdoor enthusiasts' needs?

I purchased the original Alta last April and shortly thereafter began posting, along with many others, about this problem.  Fitbit appeared to be engaged and hearing our complaints, but now it's clear that our cries for correction was actually falling on deaf ears.  It seems like an issue of INTEGRITY when a company does as Fitbit has done with this (well-documented) issue: know that it exists but not address it.  

Thankfully, when I received the announcement via email about the release of the new Alta HR, I caught myself before making the order.  I chatted, emailed, chatted and chatted again before someone would admit that there were no changes in the new Alta HR display.  

I was so disappointed, but thankful that I did my homework before making the purchase without thinking it through.

All I ask from Fitbit is HONEST TRANSPARENCY.  I just don't feel that that is what we, as consumer's of their product, have been given in this case. 

Best Answer

When using my tracker (Fitbit Alta HR) outside in the open air, it is almost inpossible to read the figures on the display.  The brightness of my tracjer goes down and I cannot adjust or override this !!

So I'm looking for adjustable brightness or another way to make sure I can read my display !!

Best Answer

@DirkVer, welcome to the community, we're glad to have you here.

As for the display brightness adjustment; unfortunately, there is no way at the moment to adjust it. This request has already been submitted as a feature request by other user. You can go ahead and vote for this Feature Suggestion and Fitbit developers and engineer will review it based on the votes it gets.

Please let us know if you have any further issues or questions

Nick | Washington

Surge, Blaze, Flex 2, Alta HR: - iPhone 7, Windows 8/10, Macbook Pro

Please mark posts as solved if you got the answers you needed, or visit the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I admitted defeat with the Alta hr and sent it back. Fitbit have been very efficient with my refund to be fair to them.

I have gone back to my Charge hr and the display is far better outdoors.

Best Answer

Mentioned this in another thread on this topic, but here's roughly my thoughts:

I can't believe there is no way to change this in the settings! It is a ridiculous oversight! I just used my fitbit alta hr for the first time today and this is the most disappointing aspect of the experience. Even in mild, indirect sunlight it renders the display unreadable! Did anyone actually test this product outside?! I bought the scale, an alta hr for myself, and another for a family member and I'm ready to return the entire order because of this problem.

I don't really know if user changeable brightness will solve the underlying issue, but the fact that it is missing only adds insult to injury. Please work on this FitBit!

Best Answer

Agree this is a huge disappointment and shocker.  My first experience with a tracker and just assumed the display would be readable outside.  I like to bicycle; it's sunny out, and I also wear sunglasses.  Impossible to check my heart rate, which was the sole reason for my purchase.   I have an odometer/spedometer on my bike with a display that is always readable, in the sun, shade, with sunglasses; why not fitbit?

The icons on the fitbit are bigger/brighter than the actual data; perhaps the brightness from the icons could be used instead to create bolder/brighter heartbeat number.  Even the clock is brighter than the heartbeat number????   Fitbit app is great, but I paid the extra for the Alta HR to get the heartbeat display 😕

Best Answer

I feel your pain!  
I really loved my Charge and that's the very reason that I was excited about the smaller, more feminine profile of the Alta.  But then...disappointment because of the outdoor visibility of the Alta display.  
I, too, invested in the Aria Scale and really love the connectedness of all their products.  
So this issue with the Alta has really been a conundrum for me; I've enjoyed everything but the issue with the alta.  Even more disappointing is Fitbit's insistence to totally ignore (or pay lip service) to the cries of us speaking out about this issue.
I personally have had several discussion with different Company Reps, always with the promise that this time  someone who has more insight and clout would be contacting me.  I have put several hours of emailing, chatting and even phone calls into this issue with no satisfactory response.  
Very disappointing for a Company that has so much to offer but falls down so miserably on this one product.  
Fitbit, please do the right thing, admit this failure for the sake of showing respect to your consumer base!
Word of mouth advertisement is worth it's weight in gold, one way or the other.  
Are you listening? 

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

After all of the time I have invested in appealing to Fitbit to address this issue, I too have conceded defeat; but in one way only.  
I made the (difficult) decision to order a Fitbit product that would better fit my needs: the Charge HR.  After considering all the money (Charge, Aria Scale, Alta with upgraded Band), learning and time invested in this Company I will give Fitbit an opportunity to redeem themselves.  If I have problems with this product it will go back immediately.
What I will not give up is continuing to hold Fitbit accountable for this disappointing failure with this, otherwise, potentially great product.  I'm not done complaining about my dissatisfaction with my Alta and hope that Fitbit will resolve this in a way that will restore my confidence in them.
We'll see. 

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got mine and no you can not see it in the sunlight.

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

If enough people send them back, surely  fitbit will begin to realise there's an issue that needs correcting ? Won't they ?

Best Answer

Given that I couldn't read Alta HR outsice, I purchased Chargd 2.  But had to returned that as well, because I still can't see the heart rate all that well when bicycling, which must of us wear sunglasses.  Instead of using battery resource to light up the flashing heart icon and the flashing circle encasing the heart rate number, maybe instead make that extra stuff less bright and put the resource into actual info that we care about?  It's really too bad, such a good product otherwise.

Best Answer

Bought the Alta HR recently and wanted to be able to use it as a watch. It is impossible to read in any outside light. I had a garmin vivo and it was readable in all daylight, although no HR monitor. This is ridiculous as it must have been obvious during testing that the display is no use outside. It is pretty expensive for a blank screen. Come on Fitbit, this needs sorted for people who have already bought one and for unsuspecting buyers.

Best Answer

I have the same issue & do most of my activities outside. I can't see a thing on tbw display. Pretty annoying. 

Best Answer

Totally agree at how horrible this is.  I am glad it is not just me, but we all have a very inadequate product. 

Please fix this Fit Bit!

Best Answer