Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta randomly shutting off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I searched through postings and don't see one answer that solved this problem. My Alta is about two years old and suddenly this month has started shutting down without warning. Doesn't matter if the battery is fully charged or half full, just shuts off. I have reset it & I've cleaned it. I have an iPhone 6.

As I read through the forum I see this has been an ongoing problem since the beginning of the year. Has anyone at Fitbit found out why? I also see that it's being recommended to purchase a new one. Why would I buy another one if the problem hasn't been solved. Two years isn't a long time, was working perfectly until July. Anyone have any other suggestions? 

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @dmcbeck. I am sorry for the delayed response.  

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and sharing the issue you're experiencing with your two-year-old Fitbit Alta which started shutting down without warning. Thank you for your efforts to resolve this issue by cleaning and restarting your device. I understand your concerns, our team is always working on improving our devices and user experiences, and your comments are always welcome.

Since the steps you tried didn't work, I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support team, for them to take a deeper look at this and provide a solution. Please keep an eye on your inbox.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Appreciate the effort, I am currently in touch with Fitbit support but sure am not confident the problem will be solved. My Alta is currently sitting on top of my dresser after repeatedly restarting it yesterday.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

My Alta is also doing the same thing. That is , shutting off randomly. I have had it for 1 1/2 years. Never had a problem before. I also have cleaned it , reset it multiple times. No luck! I am

so over technology!  Will be contacting Fit Bit and hoping they have a solution. Likely it will be.... “need to buy a new one”.

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue with my Fitbit alta.  I suspect it is the battery.  I've I had my fitbit for about 2 years. 

Thanks,
Pat

Best Answer

I’m having the exact same problem! But my alta is only two months old...

Best Answer

Up until a few weeks ago the battery was lasting five days. Once my battery gets below 80%, it randomly shuts down. Don't think this is a battery issue.

Best Answer

I am having this same problem with my Alta! I have to plug it in to get the display to work again. If you find out a fix let me know please and thank you!

Best Answer

Replying to be included in a final answer, as I am experiencing the same exact issue.

Best Answer

My fitbit alta is 18 months old and has randomly shutdown for the past week at different times each day and stops recording activity. Have cleaned and reset but still not working properly. 

Best Answer

About 2 weeks ago I noticed my Alta is randomly shutting off as well. The battery is full and it will still shut off. 

Best Answer

I have exactly the same problem. Was working well up until 3 days ago.  No effect of resting or cleaning.  Mine is 2.5 years old.  This seems to a generic problem with the fit bit Alta 

Best Answer

I’m new to the Fitbit world but am beyond frustrated! My Alta is approximately a week old and randomly shuts off regardless of battery charge. I have restarted it several times but the problem continues. I’m ready to just return it for a refund move on! Help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am experiencing the same issue with my Alta randomly just shutting off with no warning. Mine is only 8 mos old. It’s frustrating when you’re somewhere you cannot immediately plug in and you then lose steps in your goal count. Look forward to seeing a response from FitBit support.

Best Answer

I'm still waiting for the battery in mine to deplete. Kind of hard since it won't stay on, lol. But once it dies I'm supposed to message Fitbit support. With all these responses I seriously doubt its a battery issue. Sounds like a firmware but they don't seem to want to acknowledge it. With this kind of problem, not inclined to purchase another Fitbit device. I will let everyone know what they suggest once I complete their request. 

Wondering if a complaint to a consumer group might get wheels turning a bit quicker?

Best Answer

This is a known problem with the Alta. They will offer you a replacement Alta that will eventually have the same problem, or 25% off a new device (ha!). 

They have stopped giving us any real help on our Alta devices. 

Best Answer
How frustrating! I wish I had done better research. I never would have purchased this in the first place!

Leslie
Best Answer

I was thinking the same thing! Apparently it’s time to take it beyond the company.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Up until the last two weeks I've been super happy with my Alta. That's why I think this is an across the board problem with either firmware or an update that they recently implemented. In any case it would be great if they would be forthright with it instead of blaming battery life, cleaning, restarting...

Best Answer

Then I will not be purchasing another. If they aren't helping with a solution, I'm certainly not giving them any more of my business. Too bad, up until now they've been a great customer service company. Guess competition and greed have changed that tune.

Best Answer