Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta randomly shutting off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I searched through postings and don't see one answer that solved this problem. My Alta is about two years old and suddenly this month has started shutting down without warning. Doesn't matter if the battery is fully charged or half full, just shuts off. I have reset it & I've cleaned it. I have an iPhone 6.

As I read through the forum I see this has been an ongoing problem since the beginning of the year. Has anyone at Fitbit found out why? I also see that it's being recommended to purchase a new one. Why would I buy another one if the problem hasn't been solved. Two years isn't a long time, was working perfectly until July. Anyone have any other suggestions? 

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

I am having the same problem mine is only a couple months old!

Best Answer

Hi everyone. I'm glad to see you joining this thread. I'm sorry for my delay, and I'll keep helping you with your Alta.

I appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience with your Fitbit Alta and our team, as well for the steps that you've tried prior posting. I understand your position I'm sorry that you've gone through this situation. Fitbit reviews every feedback posted in the Community to work on our products and I'm sure your comments will help us to enhance their performance.

@Krissyk1@Denny4 and @Jkalz4, thanks for letting me know about your Alta devices and your efforts in getting them working again. I'm sorry that they're having this behavior. To help you with this, please confirm if you've tried to clean the contactsrestart them and use other USB ports or UL outlets to charge as well to charge them. This way I can go ahead and share your details.

@ERC5, thanks for trying the steps from my previous post. I've gone ahead and requested a case on your behalf so you can receive further assistance. Keep an eye on your inbox.

@MBJinty, thanks for getting back. Since you've created a case with our Support Team, I'd recommend to keep working with them to receive more details via email. This way they'll continue providing you with assistance.

@Mummysj and @sugarshack58, thanks for letting me know that your Alta is having this behavior. I've been informed that you have a case created with our team and they've been working with you about this situation. If you have any question about your case, my best advise is to reply back to their last email so they can assist you with that.

See you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, I have tried to clean contacts and restart...several times.
Best Answer

I am having the same problem! My original Alta first started shutting off at 80% then after while it won’t restart and wouldn’t charge. They replaced it and I received the refurbished one in May. Now it is doing the same thing. It’s very frustrating

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have this issue and was on help chat for 30 minutes last week.  I am suspicious there is a bug in the recent firmware upgrade. Is there a way to roll back to previous firmware to confirm?  This is my second, and likely last, alta that I have had break after a firmware upgrade.

Best Answer

So Fitbit won't help with this issue at all. this is my 4th time trying to get a working Alta since 2016 after my original one started to separate. Fitbit has lost my business forever, you offer me 25% off a new device when you can't even get purchased products to work correctly. You should test your firmware out before sending it out to be updated by us. Starting to sound like Apple now. Fitbit used to have great customer service, not anymore.... Goodbye Fitbit, you lost another customer for life.

Best Answer

I purchased my Fitbit Alta a few years ago, loved it and NEVER had any issues with it! I actually lost it for a few months and finally found it last night- now I am having the SAME issue as all people in this post. Plugging in my Fitbit is the only way to get it to "wake up" and then it only lasts about 20 minutes before the screen essentially goes dead. I tap it and turn my wrist and nothing happens. I have read every thread here- tried plugging in my device and restarting (I have probably done this 20 times today), cleaned it, tried re-syncing with the app- all with no success. It doesn't seem to be a battery issue because when I do plug it in it's showing at least 70-80% charged. When it does restart I get a quick flash of an error message V21.40.02. I called Customer Service and they offer 25% off a new device. Why would I invest in a new device if there is no fix for my current one? They created a case for me but have no explanation to why it doesn't work. With this many people having the same issue- Fitbit you need to offer REFUNDS or FREE replacements of these devices to loyal customers!! Totally not fair that this many people have the exact same issue with the Alta and your solution is to just buy a new device. No thanks I won't be purchasing from your company anymore.

Best Answer

I’ve followed all the steps Fitbit suggested to resuscitate my device and
it’s still not working. I’ve been in contact with the company and haven’t
received new information yet.
--

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I let it charge all night at 100% it shut off as soon as it hit 10,000. It won’t rest as much as I tried. I will be investing in Apple Watch. This is ridiculous 

Best Answer
0 Votes

After reading all of the issues with the Alta, I'm realizing that nothing is being done.  I still have my box.  I don't have the receipt and can't remember where I purchased.  But already had to replace the band on it.  I had the little fitbit that clipped on my pants for years (3 of them I got), then I decided to go with the Alta when the other was discontinued.  This is really a poor working Fitbit.  I would like a refund or replacement.  Can this be resolved?  It's just about a year old or so.  Thanks,Lisa

Best Answer
0 Votes

When customer support contacted me via email (after I had been posting on this thread for a few days), they tried to help me troubleshoot and kept sending me links to their website. I'd already done everything their website instructs, and my Alta was still not functioning properly on a fully charged battery. My final response before they offered to actually do something was me saying how I read that it was likely a firmware update that damaged the device (because of all the people claiming their issue started at the same time), I was frustrated with the run around, and I've come to the conclusion it's a faulty device because of the firmware mess-up. The rep I was in contact with then offered me two options: a free replacement on the Alta Fitbit (the tracker pod not including the wristband) or 50% off a different model. Since I was looking to get a different tracker with heart rate monitoring anyway (and I didn't want to deal with the headache of another faulty Alta), I went for the discounted new tracker. The rep sent me a coupon link that applied to most of their models (coupon did not apply to the newest one they just introduced). 

They're a company, and they want to keep the business of this collection of people. They messed up on their end, and the most cost effective way for them to fix the solution is likely to phase out the defective devices and offer the customers replacement options rather than invest in fixing the faulty firmware. Be persistent (and polite - because they're still people like us) when you talk with the reps, and hopefully they'll send you a similar option. 

Best Answer

I have been more than polite and I completely disagree with your assessment that they want to keep our business. If that were the case they should have been upfront with what the real problem was which in my opinion was a bad firmware update. They continued to try to place the blame on us, the consumer, until the uproar became too loud to ignore. Because of that I will not give them any of my business. As I see it, the company does't want to admit they screwed up and issue all of us Alta users a NEW device free, not 50% off another Fitbit that may or may not be phased out or not work. To be honest, I haven't missed the darn thing al all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fair points. 

You're right - they are cutting losses by pushing the cost back onto the customers. 

Having worked in customer service, I recognize all the tactics they're using. They likely know they screwed up the Alta firmware, and it's been internally determined that it makes more financial sense to phase out the remaining Alta Fitbits they have in stock or on the market. They're counting on a large percentage of their customers to be brand loyal, so even if they lose some customers due to the Alta being faulty, they may be able to retain a few of those customers by offering discounts on other models. Big companies often won't admit to a system fail like this unless it seriously blows up in their face and there's evidence to out them publicly on it. In the meantime, they'll try to save face by offering frustrated customers a few options the company can afford: a free replacement of the same model (that they're likely already abandoning) or a discount on a newer model Fitbit. 

It's crappy that they won't own up to making this defective device, but I understand from a business perspective why they are doing this. Sweep it under the rug and pacify the customers that they can so they can maintain their external brand image. They know they'll lose some business from people choosing to take their money elsewhere, but that money is less than what they'd lose with owning up to messing up a whole model line of FitBits. 

Best Answer

MBTFitbat- was your Alta still under warranty? I'm wondering why you were offered a free Alta tracker replacement or a 50% discount on a new model when myself and others were offered a 25% discount on a new device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got mine as an incentive with an insurance health screening back in April, so it was still under the one year limited warranty. (My state also has a four year implied warranty, but we didn't have to get into that since I was within the one year coverage.) I have no idea why I got 50% off as opposed the the 25%, which is what I expected after reading comments on this thread. Maybe it had something to do with my device being part of a company initiative rather than me purchasing it outright - the employer offers a new Fitbit or a choice other incentive gifts every year with the health screening. I really have no clue why they gave me a deeper discount. The company connection is just my guess since they are a large company, and they partner with Fitbit every year.

Best Answer
0 Votes
What brand would anyone recommend other than fitbit? Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone. Thanks for participating in this thread, and I'm sorry for my delay.

I appreciate you for taking the time to share your feedback about the Alta and the steps that you tried on your own. I understand where are you coming from, and I'm sorry that you've had this experience. Fitbit often reviews the Community to work on our products based on your comments, and your posts will help us to improve them and their performance.

@Jkalz4@Carlikin and @Lizajane17, thanks for following the steps that were posted in this thread. Since your Alta devices are still not working, I've gone ahead and requested a case on your behalf. Keep an eye on your inbox, you'll receive an email with more details.

@Rmgilliam and @SBut02, thanks for your efforts while working on your Alta devices. I've been informed that you already have a case created with the Support team and they're providing you assistance. I'd recommend to continue working with them so you can receive more details about your case.

I'll be around if you have another question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m unfortunately joining the random shut off crew. This is so frustrating 

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's so frustrating to see people inviting me to challenges and I haven't been able to be in one in months!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, Buy another brand of smart watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes