Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta randomly turns off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Lately my Alta has been randomly turning off during the day. It is fully charged. Today around noon I checked it with no issues, and then again 5 mins later and it would not turn on. This has happened a few times lately, its just over a yr old. When I get home to plug it in, it shows the Fitbit logo and starts up, still showing a full battery. It does not track steps while it is turned off. How can I prevent this from happening, as it defeats the purpose of the device!!

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

To GJBA,

If you notice in my original post, I did contact Fitbit about my Alta failing after a 2-year period.  Their reply back to me was that my Fitbit was outside of their warranty period and they could not do anything,  What they DID offer was a 25% discount for my next purchase of another (crappy) Fitbit within 30 days of receipt of the offer!  Their generous (NOT) offer of a discount is ridiculous considering all the complaints about their Fitbits (regardless of the model) dying after the 2 year mark.  Thanks, Fitbit, but NO THANKS.  Rather than throwing away money on a uni-tasker that lasts a little over 2 years that only monitors my steps and HR, my next purchase will be on a multi-tasker like an iWatch which can do multiple things and will link seamlessly to my iPhone X.  I'm just waiting for Apple's release of a newer model next month. 

Best Answer

I’ll add my grumbles to the long list. 2 years and 2 months old and surprise surprise the battery keeps dying as soon as I unplug it from the charger. Fitbits answer, have 25% off. How do I explain that to my children who used all their own money to buy it as a birthday gift...I’m throwing it away after 2 years! Great 

Best Answer

Hi there guys! Good to have you all in the Community Forums!

I'm very sorry about this situation. Besides what our Support Team has already offered, there's not much else I can offer from my end 😕

If you'r still within the warranty, let me know and I'll be happy to help you out with getting your tracker replaced and if you're out of warranty and would like to see what are the other available options, let me know so that I can escalate your case to our Support Team.

Anything else, I'm here to help!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

Thanks for responding, as the issue is outside of the warranty and your company is offering a discount on the purchase of another unit that will have the same issue.

I was told early on in this escalation that I would be contacted by "supervisor" I did get a response and the person offered the same thing, then WHY escalate if they will reiterate the same thing as a front line tech.????? 

I cannot afford to repurchase the third unit, I just want the issue addressed and RESOLVED!!!! I see that I am not the only one with the same issue.

YOUR COMPANY HAS A PROBLEM!!!!!!!!

Good luck on replacement or resolution to get this addressed.

Moderator edit: Merged replies, word choice

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @GJBA! I'm very sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with the discount offer 😕

At this point, I'm afraid there's not much else I can do from my end. Our Support Team needs to abide by the warranty policies so, that's the reason why you were explained the same thing even by a supervisor.

Again, I'm very sorry about this but if you need anything else, feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help you out!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just bought mine 2 days ago and it has done the same exact thing! What can I do?! I don’t have my receipt anymore!!! It looks like I need another one 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine does the same, I am search post for advice! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @AleShatzie @Shelley73, welcome to the Community Forums! 🙂

I'm very sorry you're still having problems with this. The first thing I would recommend doing is giving your tracker a restart. You can easily do this by clipping your tracker to the charger and plugging the charger to a USB port on your computer or a wall charger. Then, Press the button on your charging cable three times within four seconds and your tracker should vibrate and show the Fitbit logo. This will make your tracker to reboot.

After that, keep an eye on your trackers. If you notice that this happens again, let me know so that I can escalate your cases to the Support Team for further assistance.

Anything else you may need, I'm always around!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you! I have already tried these actions. My fitbit still goes flat at
approx 50% I contacted the service team yesterday and have a replacement on
its way! Excellent service.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit Alta will shut off once it hits about 75% battery, and whatever steps I accumulated before then are lost. Once I plug it back in, it will start up and charge right away, but again, when it hits about 75% it will shut off. I tried restarting it 10 separate times and that did nothing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @Shelley73! 😄 I'm happy to hear that we'll have you back on track soon!

@SunsetRunner, I replied to other of your posts. Hopefully we'll have you back on track soon as well.

If you need anything else, I'm always around!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I was so pleased to receive a new Alta - tracker within days of reporting the fault of not charging. 
Thank you
However my new one has accidentally fallen off whilst walking to work today. I am so gutted, I have tried everything, retraced steps, find my device apps, but to no avail.
~Can Fitbit tell if it has been registered to someone else? I have read on forums that its so easy to do, with no security checks, so I am not hopeful to find it ever again.
I hope someone is honest and posts on a lost and found facebook page or something. 
I couldn't find where online to ask this hence why I replied to a post from you

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

After a little over 2 years my Alta is randomly turning off.  When I try recharging it shows lots of battery left.  I can recharge it, have it on for 1.5 hours and it will turn off.  Thank you all for sharing. Now I know it is just not me.  Gave a presentation on fitness trackers this week and the Alta shut off before I could demo it.  Not Good!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having the same issue with my Fitbit Alta.

Not sure how the warranty process will work since this was a gift, where I cannot easily contact who I go the gift from!

I had the same issue when I first got the device and was told to contact the retailer (which wasn't a practical solution). Managed to live with the device where it would lose change at 50% and sometimes shut off when the step goal was reached.

What can I do from here?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had my first FitBit Alta for 2 years and when the battery started dying, I got a new one.  That was about 3 weeks ago, and already this new one is shutting off randomly throughout the day.  I NEVER had this problem with my other Alta and am extremely discouraged that this has started happening right away with my new one.  I've tried doing the resets as recommended on this forum, but it still just randomly shuts down.  There does not seem to be any kind of rhyme or reason.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit keeps turning off even thought the battery is still over half full.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Spoiler
Spoiler
Having the same problem. Fitbit alta dies every 20 minutes, fully charged,  cleane . Re startedbit a million times. Re installed app, nothing works 
Best Answer
0 Votes

Did anyone find a solution to this? It’s so disappointing to go for a walk or run and then notice it’s randomly shut off again. I plug it in every night. Hit the reset button three times and synch it to my phone and start the day. Happened yesterday and today and several times before 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I gave up a and threw it out!

Leigh Wright

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Training.
Best Answer
0 Votes

my less than a year old fitbit alta has started switching itself off and I have to reset it. It has now done it twice in less than 24 hours so I think there must be an issue with it. I have followed the protocol to reset it and it is fully charged but it is not recording my exercise today which is really annoying. Can you help please? Thanks in anticipation

Best Answer
0 Votes