Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta randomly turns off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Lately my Alta has been randomly turning off during the day. It is fully charged. Today around noon I checked it with no issues, and then again 5 mins later and it would not turn on. This has happened a few times lately, its just over a yr old. When I get home to plug it in, it shows the Fitbit logo and starts up, still showing a full battery. It does not track steps while it is turned off. How can I prevent this from happening, as it defeats the purpose of the device!!

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer
88 REPLIES 88

I need your help as mine still isn't working

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same problem over 2 years ago and posted my experience on this blog.  Unfortunately I saw that many, many others had had the same problem with their Fitbit — it appears that the product fails after a couple of years.  Short story is that I contacted Fitbit but they were no help whatsoever.  All they did was say “sorry but your problem is outside of the warranty period”.  They offered me a 20% discount on my next purchase of their Fitbit!  Are you kidding me?  Why would I spend more money on a product that won’t last past 2 years?!?  Needless to say, I recommend that you stay far away from any Fitbit product.  I ended up buying an Apple iWatch and have not regretted it at all I was NOT an Apple fan before but after using their iPhone and now the iWatch, I am now a convert.  I know this doesn’t answer your question, but I had tried all the resetting instructions that Fitbit’s website and users recommended, but to no avail.  My recommendation — throw the thing away because Fitbit won’t back up their own product and your Alta is DOA (or will be in a couple of more weeks).  Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem with me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have reset my Alta  fit bit. It continues to shut down and does not track movement during this time.  @“Also noticing it is not tracking my exercise example today did 23 minutes treadmill and it was not recognized.  It shuts down more frequently now. Any other suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

And just so you know that is why I got this Fitbit because it happened with my other one.  I feel like I should not have to replace so often!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem—most frustrating

Best Answer
0 Votes

I managed to keep my Alta alive for 4 years. It started turning itself off after the battery got down to half charged—giving me a little vibration as a warning. I had to reset and recharge it every day so I figured it reached its lifespan limit. I ordered a new one. Unfortunately, they don't sell the plain Alta on the FitBit site anymore (I didn't really want the heart rate feature); I had to find it at Dick's Sporting Goods. I have a feeling the normal lifespan is 2–3 years. My previous Alta lasted 3 years.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine has been turning off too. It started a few months ago and has been growing worse.

- I’ve been indoors all day, so no overheating. 

- the battery is not depleted

when I discover that the Alta is non responsive and get it to the charger, I first see the Fitbit logo, and then that it’s half charged or more! I put it back on my wrist and it works a while and then does it again. 

It never used to do this. Now it’s practically daily.  why is this happening? What can be done?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I solved the Fitbit problem by avoiding Fitbit products and buying an Apple Watch three years ago.  I exercise with it and wear it all day and have not had any problems with it. Since the Apple  Watch is multifunctional, doing more than for exercise, I am so glad I switched. 

Best Answer
0 Votes