Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta's battery draining fast

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My battery is only lasting for a day. Previously it had been lasting longer. It is less than a month old.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
146 REPLIES 146

Hi,

I’ve been in touch with Fitbit and the suggestions were totally unsatisfactory. 

1. Lay flat whilst charging - Do that already
2. Clean the terminals - Tried that (it says I’m ready to go)
3. Turn off all the functions - Unbelievable!

It lasted 8 days before a firmware update then over night it went to less than a day. 

As part of the update it switched on the all day sync which I turned off and it’s still not lasting 24 hours. 

It’s going in the bin!

Kind regards,
Alan
Best Answer
If your Alta is 2 years old, that is about the average life expectancy of any Apple product.  My husband's Blaze watch has been in the drawer and the Aria scale that pairs with in the closet for quite some time (even after purchasing rechargable batteries).  He had a heart attack and needed to watch heart rate/weight, etc.  Sad for what you pay for them.  
My Ulta holds a charge for at least a week, however, once it turns two, I'll let you know if it's in "the drawer."
Best Answer
0 Votes

The Alta was a disappointing piece of poo from the time that I got it... mainly because it could not keep track of stairs... then the battery issue.

I replaced it with a Charge 2 almost a couple of years ago, and it works very well, and no battery issues yet... looks like there is a Charge 3 now.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Agreed & thanks for the info. When this one takes a dive I will look into those. My issue was with the purchase of a complimenting designer band sold by them directly paid double than the Alta itself (hubby did it was a birthday gift). It broke they did replace it luckily but the replacement immediately began to unravel the $10 internet cord band purchase still going strong! I could pull my Garmin out of the drawer it still works (quit laughing). Happy holidays!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Not sure what relevance apple product longevity has to do with this.

I bought the Alta second hand so have no idea how old it is. My point is, the battery lasted 7 to 8 days (from fully charged, "I'm ready to go" said the screen) with all the functions I selected to use, for many months then over night, following a firmware update, it went to less than a day. What a pain in the Arse.

I also found the suggestion to switch off the functionality patronising to say the least.

It won't reset either following the recommended routine.

Best Answer

I'm guessing there has been a firmware update judging by the number of recent complaints. I suppose I should be prepared for mine to start failing again too although we seem to be a few months behind here in New Zealand 😀

Using the age of the device as an excuse to avoid doing right by their customers is a cop-out when the units are only failing after an update. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
As long as I charge my Alta flat and not dangling and have the function turned off that it doesn’t constantly flash every time I turn my wrist my charge will last 7-10 days updates included. For some reason letting my Alta hang while charging from the outlet did not provide a good connection to charge enough to last. Once I laid it flat and turned the setting off haven’t had a problem since

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone. Sorry to hear about your Alta's battery draining quickly and for the delay in my response. Try cleaning the contacts using cotton with rubbing alcohol then charge it by plugging it for a couple of hours directly to your computer's usb port (try different ports) or use an UL listed usb wall adapter. After this, restart your device and see how it behaves.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Tried this and everything else. I will never buy another fitbit.
They don't care that their product is defective.
Best Answer
Mine holds a 7-10 day charge once I made sure it (1) laid flat to charge and not dangled from electrical outlet, and (2) the charging clip was secure

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I came onto the forums after contacting support with some mundane answers, my alta isn't a year old and was holding its charge for 5-7 days until last week. It drains very fast, to the point sleep activity is useless as i have to put it on charge before bed every single evening. I have it set to no notifications at all, it syncs when i get home from work. By the time i do get home its half drained, it then barely gets me through the gym later on in the evening so i'm having to pop it on charge whilst i shower before gym to top it up a bit which really isn't what i bought it for...  I've done everything asked cleaned contacts, laid flat, etc etc.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You were lucky, mine lasted 1 minute before refusing to hold a charge. Total piece of crap. All support says is re set as if I have not done that more than 40 times. 

Best Answer

I think the Alta is a mistake that should never have happened... I disliked it from day one, because it could not keep track of stairs... I was glad to retire it to the junk drawer.

I replaced with the Charge 2 a couple of years ago, and it has worked fine... the junky plastic bands are a whole other issue as they are with any Fitbit !

Best Answer

Hey there @Wallace11 and @AirMojothanks for stopping by and taking the time to update this thread with your feedback and comments. Fitbit is always reviewing your responses to provide feedback to our product development team so thanks for sharing. 

@Wallace11I confirmed with our support team that you're in contact, if you still having questions, it might be a good idea to contact our Support Team again for further assistance.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions, comments, or concerns. We're sorry for any inconvenience it's caused.

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer
0 Votes
thank you will do, the new unit is still being charged. I'll hold judgement
until its ready and operational. Mind you it still does not address the
issue of a product being sent out with known problems however its a start.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Wallace11, good to see you in the Fitbit Community Forums!

I'm happy to hear that you got your replacement already and I really hope that this new one works properly. Keep in mind that if you get to need any type of help with this or other things, you can feel free to let us know and we'll be happy to help you out!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried both solutions but none made the problem better.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My second one has lasted 3 months. 

Pile of **ahem**e and not fit for purpose. 

If you’re on this forum and reading this it’s too late, you have already wasted with your money. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wrote a post but it disappeared when writing. I've read the problem and mine is doing the same thing

When I first got it as a gift a year and a half ago from my Mother for Chrostmas, it stayed charged for 7 days, now it won't take a charge at all. I ckeaned tje vonnections and it didn't help at all. I am sick.over this because my Mother is so upset that her gift didn't last. I love it but I will not buy another one. I will ensure everyone knows about the problems. Who makes a faily expernsive product and makes it where you can't change the battery?  In. Business word of mouth can.make you or break you.  Fitbit will not be a long product on.the market if it's nothing but a throw away. I've never in my life made a complaint about a produc . But I'm so upset over this zi felt the need to say something.  No one is going to buy fitbits when word gets out about the battery issue. I can't help but to wonder who wS smart enough to make a great product but to stupid to know the battery needs to be able to be replaced. So disappointed and dissatisfied. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i just got a replacement for my alt hr which had battery problems and same problem only hold the charge for 2 days and take a full 2 hours to charge for the replacement - talk to fit bit and I have to return the replacement before they will send out another replacement  - i never had problems with the charge hr

Best Answer
0 Votes