Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit Alta band breaking

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but this is the second Alta band I've gone through in only about 6 months now. They both start to come up on the side of the Alta itself, and after a couple weeks of that they just tear off completely. The first one I thought might have happened just because I was wearing the device on a snug setting, but this one I have worn slightly looser than I like and it's still breaking. Any advice?

Best Answer
86 REPLIES 86

I’m in the same position.  I registered mine on Dec 31, 2016.  By July my 1st Band was falling apart.  A week into this year my replacement band (a newer version for the Alta HR) has also come apart.  I can’t wear it as the connection is very loose and I’m worried I’ll lose my Fitbit.

i contacted support but because the device (not the new band) is outside the 1year warranty, I am SOL.  I’m not interested in spending $40+ for a new band that will have the same issue in another 6 months.  It’s pretty disappointing that Fitbit feels that a 6 month life span on a strap is acceptable - especially when it’s purpose is for fitness.  I’ve had much less expensive fitness watches that have last a whole lot longer.  I was impressed initially with how easy it was to replace my first band when it failed under warranty, but I figured it was just a flaw in that particular band.  I’m now realizing this is a chronic issue that is being dealt with very poorly.  Clearly the design of the Alta & it’s bands is a problem.  All I can do now is wear my Alta in my pocket but it’s lots it’s usefullness for moving reminders, text notifications and a watch.

Super disappointed.  My dad bought this for me as a Christmas gift and I feel like he wasted $170.

Best Answer

I have stopped wearing mine at night. I think I must lean on it and rip it. Since then, with new one,  no problems. I know that doesn't help tell you how well you are sleeping but I know that anyway!

Best Answer
Yah. I agree...im probably hardest on it when I'm sleeping as it gets caught under my body sometimes.

However....its DESIGNED to track sleep so I feel it should be able to withstand wearing overnight. Otherwise one of its big selling features is useless.

I think it's pretty crazy to design a sleep tracker that you cant actually sleep in.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

My third band broke  They last less than 6 to 8 months  it is just a defective product 

Best Answer

My band has also broken - it’s the Alta style.  How do I go about receiving a replacement?

Best Answer

It’s just a matter of time,  I’ve had mine for a year and a half and it has just broken.  Needs to be affixed into the band better by the manufacturer.  Considering super glue!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Super glue works but sadly is only a temporary fix. I ended up buying 3 new bands (2 leather one metal) on Amazon for the same price as one Fitbit silicon band. so far so good.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Exact same problems here. "Customer service" is actually a not-too-subtle a sales force.
Best Answer

I contacted them. They admitted their problem yet refused to send a new strap (3 1/2 months past warranty). GRRRR!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, do you still have the small Alta wrist straps for sale?  Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

No it wasn't me who had them for sale. I just bought some on eBay for about $4.00 each.

😊Linda

Sent from Outlook
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks.
Maria

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am on my 2nd fit bit.  Originally I had the Flex 2 and after 2 years, the band twisted and the tracker fell out of the band.  I replaced it with the Alta.  Shortly after purchasing the Alta, I took a trip and while at the airport, I lost it.  I don't know if the band broke but I didn't notice it was missing until I had landed.  I really miss having the tracker but I am concerned about replacing it with another one if there is an issue with the bands breaking.  Any suggestions?

Best Answer
My daughter also has an alta with the same problem and she just bought a replacement band that has a more traditional strap that won’t fall off from eBay for $5 - I would buy one of these because the others fall off so easily when they get caught up chabgibg clothes etc.....

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you Linda000 for the advise.  I want to give a shout out and an update on my situation.  I originally contacted Fit Bit and didn't get any resolution other than to retrace my steps.  I was really disappointed in the response I got because my prior experience with customer service has always been very good.  I decided to try a 2nd call.  This time I experienced the excellent customer service I had come to expect.  Fit Bit offered me a replacement which I have received.  I purchased different bands to avoid another unexpected loss.  Thank you to Fit Bit for supporting their product and having the best customer service!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had exactly that problem after a year. I tried various glues including Araldite but with no success - just a gooey mess. So I bought a replacement from Alta which was expensive (and not as stylish as the previous design). 

Either it’s a design fault or they’re just profiteering. Either way, Fitbit should fix this bit. 

Best Answer

No, I kept mine on all the time except to charge it and the band broke after a year  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try a different manufacturer

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I'm currently having the same problem. It's always the band with the buckle that breaks! Can you tell me if the replacement bands worked for you? I was looking at some silver mesh ones on amazon, but if it's a problem with the device itself I'll have to consider another route.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve bought both metal and leather on Amazon and they are WAY better and MUCH cheaper.
Best Answer