Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Alta turning off out of the charger

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My fitbit alta has stopped working as soon as its being Unplugged from the charger.Even after tapping it multiple times,it is not reponding as if its dead and as soon as its plugged with charger,Its battery in fitbit app shows that its fully charged and synced but when unplugged,its not working at all.

Help me as soon as possible!

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity, format

Best Answer
239 REPLIES 239

Hi @FerdinandFitbit  I have been facing same issue even after rebooting the Alta. Can you please help me to resolve this. For me now this Alta is in no use. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi @EdsonFitbit I have done all the troubleshooting steps. It rebooted also, however it is not vibrating at all even though it shows that is charging. not sure. what is the issue. Could you please resolve this for me?

Best Answer

Try the freezer trick. Put the thing in plastic bag and in the freezer for about 30 minutes. The cold will force a complete shutdown. Take it out and plug it back in and it should charge properly for a week or so at least before it starts acting weird again.

Best Answer

Hi everyone.

Disclaimer: I am not tech nor do I have electrical or technical skills. I did this at my own risk. You do it, it is at your own risk. 

This is for people with the Fitbit Alta. My Alta had been sitting uncharged for a while.

Two days ago I got it out charged it but noticed every time I took it off the power, it would not turn on.

I came here and found that this is an actual issue. 

I love my Fitbit alta and it is as good as new. The thought of throwing it was not pleasing.

So I looked up online for peoples repairs and tricks.

I got a trick that worked. 

Step 1: Charge the Fitbit Alta all day long (over charge)

Step 2: Remove the wrist bands, put the Alta in a zip lock bag and put in the freezer for a few hours (I did 3 hours)

Step 3: Uninstall and reinstall the app. (I didn't notice any difference).

Step 4: Take out of the freezer and connect to the charger immediately to warm up (I was a bit scared. I was thinking fire, explosion...hehehe but did it any way. Nothing happened.) 

Step 5: After it has charged for about an hour, press the button on the charger 3 times (a few seconds apart). 

Step 6: Take out from the charger, put the wrist bands back on, and wear it. 

Step 7: Sync to App. 

As I type this it's been about 10 minutes and it is still on. Hahaha!! This is too funny. Let's see how long it lasts.

Best Answer

Yep, this actually works! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
No we don’t.! When the original Fitbit came out it was unique. Now there are lots of wearable devices. We don’t have to play in their sandbox. We can go anywhere we want and that’s what I’m doing. They can take their 35% discount and shove it. Also I have contacted the AG of Indiana. This is clearly a scam.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

Not for long though. I was happy but it was short-lived. I think it did 6 hours and died. I guess we are a large crowd of disappointed consumers. 

Best Answer

Ugh, mine worked for about 2 days I think after I did it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

They might not...by now they know the freezer hack is short lived so no need to fret.

Anyways, I hope my Charge 2 won't follow suit. But then again, it is a business, they need to keep consumers purchasing as long as the brand is popular.

I loved their Alta I got the Charge 2 when they released it. It seemed like a good idea then.

I guess I have to prepare for battery failure soon.

Best Answer

I was having this same issue.  I hadnt used my fitbit alta in quite some time, so charged it up.  Battery showed fully charged, but "taps" wouldnt work.  Logged into fitbit and did an "update" now it works fine.  Had to keep my phone near the alta to complete the update, but it really didnt take long.  Hope this helps!

Best Answer

After trying to solve the exact same problem during the whole year...

There is no solution for this problem. Unfortunately we as a community can't solve it, but we can make the world a better place and prevent others from having the same problem.

I finally found peace of mind, following the following steps:

1) Place Alta in a little ziplock plastic bag. 

2) With a ball-peen hammer beat it with enough strength to shatter the fitbit but not the plastic. 

(The plastic bag is actually more resistent than the Alta.

3) Repeat step 2. at least 50 times.

4) Trash the bag and its content.

5) Post a honest review wherever and whenever possible.

(note: the instruction doesn't say "bad review", it says "honest review", which most likely is the same)

6) Delete your fitbit accounts.

7) Never buy a fitbit again.

8 ) Every time someone says "fitbit" roll your yes.

Best Answer

Or, you can try an update from the app.  This solved the problem for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ahhh. Yes!  That is what I will do. File a complaint. Great idea. Thank you. 

Best Answer

Perfect! 😁

Best Answer

Just adding my name to the pile. Same issue, can’t see myself putting faith in them again if they can’t own up to issues like this. 

Best Answer

@DynaStaats batteries go bad over time.. If your Alta is under warranty, a replacement could be sent out. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

SAME!!  Nothing they suggest helps.  So I've upgraded twice.  This is my THIRD fitbit.  I think I'm done.  SMH

Best Answer

ME TOO!!   Third fitbit.  and Last I guess.

Best Answer

Mine also. Did you get an answer to this problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

I'm sorry for the difficulties experienced with your Alta, and appreciate every step tried prior to posting. Our team constantly works to improve our devices, and the input we receive from our members is a big part of the process. Please know the comments shared in this thread haven't gone unnoticed and will be forwarded to the right team.

If the issue persists after trying the suggestions described in this help article, I'd recommend contacting our Support team to see if there is anything else that can be done to help you out. They're available via chat and phone, just click here to get connected with them.

I wanted to inform you that I'm going to close this thread from further comments. However, if you have another question, I'd invite you to create a new thread in the Help Forums to receive help from the Community. You can always check our Help Site where you'll find information about our products and features, as well as troubleshooting steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes