Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lifespan of the Fitbit Alta

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have read most of the posts on problems with Alta charging and staying charged.  I have restarted my device several times, cleaned my charger and Alta battery areas, tried to charge on a computer versus the wall and even tried 2 different Alta chargers to ensure it wasn't the specific charger I was using which was faulty.  

I received my Alta as a Mother's Day gift last year, so it's not even 1 year old.  I've already had to replace the band because the glue came undone on the part that connects to the actual Fitbit.  What is the average lifespan of a Fitbit Alta?  I love my Fitbit, but don't think it's a good investment to buy a new one every year.  It's a shame because I also received the Fitbit Aria scale as a Christmas present, so I'd like to stay with this brand and would hate to have to switch activity trackers.

Any help would be appreciated!  Cheers!

Moderator edit: Updated title for clarity

Best Answer
78 REPLIES 78
My Fitbit is more than four years old and still working.

>From what I hear this may be unusual.
Best Answer

My fitbit alta is now five years old and still working 

Susan

Best Answer
0 Votes
congrats for beating the odds
Best Answer

I have had my Fitbit Alta since mid-2016, so 3.5 years.  It still functions well but sometimes runs out of battery rather quickly or does not record my sleep.  So I ordered a new Fitbit Inspire HR and it was even worse at recording my sleep, so I suspect it is a problem with the system at Fitbit, maybe not with my device.  The battery drain is inconsistent and might be related to the increasing number of texts I am receiving. At any rate, it seems difficult to determine if a new device provides a solution. I do wish Fitbit would tell u what to expect as an average lifespan of these devices.

Just read your post.  Fitbit Alta still going strong?  Is it tracking your sleep consistently?  Bought mine around the same time and it is starting to have problems but very inconsistently.

Did you upgrade?  If so are you happy?  I tried the Inspire HR but found it harder to read in some ways.  Wouldn't track my. sleep consistently so I returned it.  Now my Alta is doing the same thing.  Maybe it's a Fitbit system problem and not my device.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

Hi...I upgraded to the charge 3 and hope this one lasts longer. It's so easy to use I am happy with it.😊

Best Answer
0 Votes
No, my Alta died completely at the time I originally posted. It went from a full charge to a completely dead battery in twenty minutes, then refused to charge at all.

I bought a new Alta HR at that time (six months past purchase date so completely out of warranty) and am happy with it other than the fact that the July 19,2019 update disabled the function allowing the Alta HR to graph heart rate when using GPS. Heart rate graphs only appear when you let Auto Excercise track but then no GPS stats.

We've been getting the run-around from Fitbit since then stating that it's a known problem and they are "working on it". Fitbit has updated the system at least twice since then with no fix.

Currently looking for a new fitness tracker as Alta HR no long does what I bought it for and apparantly no interest in fixing this by Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes
me too  coming up on one year
Best Answer

how old was your fitbit Alta when it died 

Susan

Best Answer
0 Votes

18mths🥴 happy with my charge 3 so far. 

Best Answer

I've had my Alta for nearly four years now and it's still working like a dream never had any issues whatsoever. I wore my Alta in the shower a few times to check if was waterproof,and I now wear it swimming and can honeslty say it is fully waterproof "oh happy days 🙂 "

Best Answer
0 Votes

Whitesox10, if this question is directed to me, I had it just under 18 months.

MiniMo1, Alta and Alta HR are not waterproof according to the Fitbit specs on their website. There was even a response from a Fitbit rep stating the same. Another person stated his is, but it seems he bought it from somewhere other than Fitbit and the Alta had been modified to make it so, which of course took it out of warranty. Although after four years, that doesn't affect you anyway, does it? 

JuanJoFitbit_0-1620904092630.png

So happy to hear you're still enjoying your Alta after all this time!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why is fit bit Alta and fit bit Alta is not waterproof

Susan

Best Answer
0 Votes
I wouldn't know. According to the Fitbit specs on the website and the response from a Fitbit Community rep, they aren't made to be. Please re-read my other response.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I bought my Fitbit Alta at Gatwick airport before going on holiday, completely legit, and of course tax free. Like I say I'm still using it it daily and swimming with it on too. Best purchase ever in my opinion 🙂 

Best Answer

Got my fit bit Alta from Costco 

I wish my fitbit alta was waterproof 

Susan 

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my alta for about 4 years and just recently it does within 2 days and will no longer sync at all. I purchased an Inspire HR, but haven't started using it yet. What are the issues you found with the Inspire?

Best Answer

No issues with my fitbit alta at all yet 

Susan

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

My Fitbit Alta lasted about 3 years and 9 months. The last 6 months were a bit unpredictable with it resetting and needing charged more often.

It now needs connected daily and then on lasts a few hours.

Almost 4 years is not too bad and quite fancy the Inspire HR as a replacement.

Best Answer

Had fitbit alta for 5 years it is my first fitbit 

Susan

Best Answer

Went through lots of bands as the plastic part that clips onto the tracker kept breaking. Found unofficial Bands from EBay cheaper and more robust. 

Best Answer