Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting an activity manually Alta hr

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Thinking of purchasing an Alta HR but want to know if I'm able to manually start an activity like I currently can using my charge HR. I often do HIIT activities which may be 15-20 mins  and if I rely on the auto track it would only record the last 5/10 mins. On my charge HR I can press the side button and start and end the activity. I'm aware there's no button on the Alta HR so is there any other way to manually start an activity? 

Best Answer
56 REPLIES 56

Agreed! This product does not do what it is advertised to do. I wish I would have gotten another Charge HR

Best Answer
0 Votes

Amen!   I use it as a step counter and that is it.  I will not replace it when it dies.

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is really helpful thanks 👌

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Alta HR was never advertised as a tracker that has a manual start of an exercise. 

Yes the Charge and Charge HR have a workout mode that can be manually started. Then the user has to edit the workout activity to reflect the correct event. 

As for trackerstrthat have the manual multisport mode .they include. the Charge 2. Blaze, Versa, Surge, and the Ionic. 

@aburris959 what feature is it that your Alta HR is not living up to? 

If your referring to the auto detect of exercises. Have you checked your settings? 

Through the app. tap on the exercise tile, now tap the settings gear found in the top right. 

It might just be the minimum time is set to long .

Best Answer
0 Votes

I most certainly have, I have spoken to customer service twice about this issue.  I was told one time to change the auto detection to detecting an exercise after 15 minutes of movement, then the second time I was told to adjust the detection setting to 10 minutes. I think that it is a little ridiculous that the auto tracking on an exercise, such as a run, will stop tracking if you stop moving the arm that has the fitbit on it, for even a second, for one very important reason everyone know while exercising; you must stay hydrated. For example, while running, or any exercise for that matter, how does one open a bottle water with one hand, nonetheless take a drink without moving one of your arms. Its physically impossible.  Secondly, if you are doing HIIT or Circuit Training that includes numerous exercises that does not include moving your arm, i.e. push ups, crunches, lunges, how is the Alta capable of tracking that.  Quite frankly, the feature of auto-tracking is non-existent. Even when I am taking a run, the product only tracks 20 minutes of my exercise. I have to manually enter in every single exercise that I do, daily. In the future, I won't be purchasing this product again as it does not perform the most important function for the main purpose of purchase.

In addition, I was informed by a customer service representative that the online dashboard where you may manually enter in a previous exercise does not sync exercises that you have created, such as a HIIT traning or Circuit training.  For example, I do Jillian Michaels work out videos (killer arms & butt, killer arms, & killer abs, etc.) when adding this exercise to the online dashboard that new exercise does not transfer to my phone app; so basically you have to choose between using either the phone app (which does not allow you to create new exercises) or strictly using the online dashboard, in turn making it almost impossible to track your progress throughout the day without having to get on the internet & logging into fitbit.com to get to the dashboard.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same. I just got mine today and really disappointed that it doesn't have this feature 

Best Answer

The key to getting the right tracker for you is to research before you buy. ☺

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This particular activity tracker is designed to be smaller, Basic in the way way of you don't need to touch it all the time and Non obtrusive so you can can wear it and forget about it. If you want something more like a laptop strapped to your arm that has a big pretty display and loads of things to touch and swipe then yes there are others that do just that (The Fruit based one, Samsung and even Fitbit all do massive arm weights with a display and things to press) But for those that are just into tracking exercise, Steps, Heart rate, Sleep and exercise intensity etc without having a 42" screen on your wrist then this Alta is for you. I still have no issues with it. If I'm doing weights which isn't as movement based as say a circuit class or jogging then yes it needs to be input manually but... It takes like 15 seconds to log and all my stats are there it's not the end of the world. I love the sleek, Discreet lightweight Alta and I hardly notice I'm even wearing it most days. Absolutely perfect 

Best Answer

I spoke to customer service before I bought my HR.. but thanks for the advice lmao...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Some of what you mention is exactly why I got rid of the alta!  When I exercise I want it to start when I start not after 10 or 15 minutes!   Never assume and always research before purchase.

Best Answer

But it still records a 15 minute workout if you workout for 15 minutes. Example: Mine is set up to start logging a walk after 15 minutes (anything under that I don't really class as exercise so I don't want my dashboard full of false workouts) If I walk for 16 minutes it will log 16 minutes, If I only walk for 9 minutes it wont log. The same with Jogging, I have it set to start logging a run after 10 minutes. If I run for 9 minutes it will not log but if I run for 45 minutes it will log 45 minutes, It doesn't miss anything it's dead simple

Best Answer

It doesn't stop tracking if you stop moving your arm lol have you actually tried using it or are you not working out? It works by monitoring heart rate and movements etc so you could do 1000 dumbell curls with the arm not wearing it and it would still pick up the excersise due to the prolonged changes in your heartrate. Activity tracker is the key to understanding how it works. And it will record everything you do but it will only show you on the dashboard after say 10+ mins of activity or whatever setting you set it to, Doesn't mean it hasn't logged anything because you can't see it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m thinking I’ll be returning mine as well. Doesn’t pick up my walks, or yoga.  Too time consuming and frustrating to always have to do it manually. I don’t want a charge hr. I had two, and the bands both separated. I really like the size of the Alta hr, but not worth the hassle. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is the most frustrating device I've ever used. It does not record my work out times correctly, mixes up simple exercises like running and elliptical, if I'm doing the elliptical it will sometimes recognize it as a run or vice versa. There is no option to track exercises such as the stepper/step master so I manually track the exercise under hike because there are only 3 options to choose from, but then it won't record correct heart rate as my arms are not moving, sometimes it will give an exceptionally high heart rate and sometimes a low heart rate while doing the exact same workout at the exact same intensity for the exact same duration of time. I've been through 2 fitbit alta hr devices but having the same issues. This tracker is absolutely horrible and I won't be purchasing again 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SHazia_, exercises that have been auto detected wrong can be edited to the right exercise by pressing the edit pencil in the top right .

Some of the agrivation might be reduced by downloading the user manual or searching the online Fitbit help docs.

How do I edit or delete an exercise or activity?

Best Answer
0 Votes

That only works if you’re starting a travel-based excercise like walking or running. Excercise where you stay I. One location (stationary bikes, Pilates, etc.) can’t be tracked with that feature.

You can manually log the exercise after the fact, but that often leads to incomplete heart rate and calorie readouts. 

Best Answer

@Stephanie044 if someone wants to contact you, they can do it by a private message. 

Please edit your posts and remove your email. You don't want to open yourself to more spam. 

Best Answer
0 Votes