Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracks sleep when i'm not wearing it

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I wear my Fitbit to bed but it's not always on my hand during the day.

Several times it had started to track my sleep when it was on my desk and not on my hand.

It sometimes adds randome naps when it's actually just sitting somewhere in my room or in my backpack.

Is anyone ells experiencing sleep patterns when they aren't wearing the Fitbit.

Thanks

Best Answer
41 REPLIES 41

I just purchased a Fitbit Alta and I need to use it only when I sleep. 

I work in an industry that does not allow the Fitbit to be worn during work hours. 

Will this affect my sleep data? 

I see on this board that others say it records sleep when the device is sitting on a desk and not used.

I would like to log only my sleep patterns and not as an activity tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

No it won't. I wear my Ionic during the day and Alta HR at night and haven't had any issues.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

my fitbit does the same. I don't put it on until I go to bed. Last night it started tracking sleep over an hour and a half before I put it on. Said it couldn't get good HR so simplified data all night... yeah, I'd say it couldn't get a HR... it was in the drawer.

Best Answer

Yeah...... I just got a Charge 2 and left it off one night. It recorded my sleep anyway! 

What I'm wondering.... is... if it does that, how accurate is it really when you DO wear it??

Are we all getting duped into using a not-so-great device? We already know that the steps are not accurate. I logged 64 steps before even putting feet on the floor yesterday! (and yes, it reset and was at 0)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine did it again last night... said I was in deep sleep when I was up getting ready for bed, taking care of cats.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I removed my Fitbit to charge it and then forgot to put it back onto my wrist before sleeping the night. Despite this I was given a fully monitored sleep pattern including light, REM and heavy readings. Please explain this!

Best Answer

I've been experiencing the same issue with my Charge 3. It tracks sleep hem I take it off to shower or wash dishes. It's the only tracker I have on the account, and I don't have it linked with any other apps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine tracks sleep even if it is in the charger overnight. The read out also shows trends similar to those I get when I do wear it to bed. Like you, I am not very confident that I am getting a true reading. I do not have any other device or app connected so that excuse does not apply in my case.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing happened to me. I didn’t wear it and I received a sleep pattern similar to my previous nights

Best Answer

Last night I took my apple watch off meaning to charge it   But it in the pocket of my sweat pants    Forgot to charge it slept with it in the pocket   Got full sleep graph and almost full hr graph with it in my pocket    Know it’s not accurate because I have been wearing a hr monitor for almost 3 months straight and my resting heart rate has been always between 68 to 72 those days    Last night it was 59 with hr dips into the high 40s   In over 100 days of tracking I have never had a hr below 62 much less 59 or in the 40s   I get it my movement could still be tracked in my pocket but comparing it to a false hr means false sleep data imho

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know this is an old thread but I'm having same issue. I am totally disgusted with Fitbit right now. Between this and the non removable ad for premium taking up 1/3 of my sleep screen I now have zero trust in Fitbit products and am making a switch. 

Best Answer
Thinking along the same lines.

Another issue is inability to send data, especially for those that have to
submit data for health insurance, been identified for over two years but no
headway.

Cannot understand a device that cannot recognize it is not bring worn but
still tracks sleep.
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Versa 2 said I was sleeping, and showed stages of sleep (light, deep, light, REM) and even me waking up a few times when I took it off and it was sitting on my dresser. Sleep tracking is very prominent and very false. 

It can tell that something is near the green sensor, but it can't tell if you are wearing it. That is just dishonest.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It happens to me also. I forgot to take it out of my gym bag today after pool time. While sitting on my floor it recorded a 3+ hour sleep period complete with naps and awake time, nut only a basic report and mo sleep score. Lol I was doing housework most of that time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I lost my fitbit in my recliner for almost 6 months.  I found it 2 weeks ago and I have about 5 days recorded per week of sleep activity.   I can tell which weeks were the last ones because there will be one or two entries of 58 minutes of deep sleep.   What is going on here?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did the three taps to re-set my fitbit and then the fitbit screen went blank. It is still plugged into the outlet and I see the "battery charging" icon. Did the reset work? I am having problems with the fitbit recording sleep when I am not wearing it.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same thing happen this past Wednesday night.

Fitbit on the nightstand all night but a detailed record of the night was present in the sleep days. I agree, it's a scam.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. I do a relaxation exercise right before sleep but my tracker was including that as sleep even though I was clearly awake. To address that, I started taking the tracker off before doing the exercise but it still includes the time when it is off my wrist as sleep. Last night I soaked in the tub before doing the exercise and the tracker counted my sleep starting from the time I took it off for the bath. I don’t have any other devices. I did buy a Charge 4 but returned it because it did the same thing but was even less accurate given it failed to count the return to sleep after night wakefulness, even though I managed to get a couple more hours of sleep. Sometimes the Charge 2 captures that return to sleep but doesn’t include it as part of the entire night’s sleep. So it doesn’t factor into the sleep score. This defeats the purpose since some people have sleep maintenance problems where they wake up too early. Managing to get back to sleep is a big step toward correcting this problem.  A device that doesn’t allow a larger interruption in sleep is designed by people who understand nothing about common sleep problems. If you sleep well why do you even need a tracker? If you don’t this device does not give you accurate feedback.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Had the exacr same thing happen last night- left it on the charger in the kitchen and put it on this morning.... no one else in the house uses one. So how accurate is it when I'm wearing it??

Best Answer
0 Votes