Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

For those of us with no husband AND arthiritis, fastening the Alta on our wrist is impossible! Especially the 'pinch' method.

The solution for me will be the stainless steel bracelet IF they ever release it! Any word on when that will happen? I tried to order it in early February when I preordered my Alta and I check the web site every day -all I see is the "notify me" button!

Best Answer
I have mine on as directed-charging prongs on top outside of wrist, biut the band clasp seems to be going the opposite direction of the band clasp in the illustrations above. Is the band on backwards from the factory? I just got it yesterday and love it. The clasping does get easier!
Best Answer

Never fear, there is a solution.  I couldn't snap it and neither could my hubby.  So while it was off my wrist,  I sat and snapped and unsnapped a dozen times (in the 2 holes I needed) and now I can get it on by myself.  It is just difficult until you have done this to loosen up the holes.

Best Answer

Did that open the holes too much so that it tends to fall off?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just adding my complaint to the others. The band seems like a really big miss on an otherwise nice product. Cynically, I'd say it is to push their new option (NEW BANDS!). Thanks for the olive oil suggestions.

Best Answer
I also have trouble getting the clasp done. I pop one band off the tracker, connect the straps then snap the band back on the tracker. Click and done.
Best Answer

I have done this, but also have arthritic fingers, and just can't close the clasp. I have found that if I disconnect the wrist band at the tracker I can get it on and off, but it's looser than I like. I'll give it another few days and then decide if its worth the trouble.

Best Answer
I understand how hard that would. I have problems with mine also. Take care.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Same here but it is getting easier!
Best Answer
0 Votes
No it doesn't, it is still very tight, but it makes clasping doable.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Seriously?  How much more would it have added to the cost to have put a "user friendly" band on it...one with a clasp?  I am struggling every day with this thing.  I have some arthritis in my fingers and this band is a killer.  

Best Answer

I have found the key to the tapping, is not to tap with the nail part of your finger, but to do a flat finger pound.  It has to be done just right or it won't turn on.  Keep practicing but I agree.  This is annoying as hell.  I'd rather have little buttons. 

Best Answer

I agree - and you also need to tap where the band and tracker meet, not in the center of the tracker. Works much better. I wish they would have stated that in the instructions though. I had to find it out on this community forum when a moderator clarified it.

Best Answer
Good to know, thanks for the tip!

--
Alex
Best Answer

I had the same problem and called the Fitbit help desk to 'whine' that it sucks.  Not too much they could do to help but felt better to issue my complaint.  So I stayed with it and finally figured it out (somewhat) this: on your wrist, the same side as your thumb right below the hand, you'll find a small bone.  Right below that, I place the holes I want to use and push down on the clasp until I finally 'feel' it connect .  I have small wrists and don't like the band to slide up and down which keeps me from being able to slide my fingers beneath the band.  By doing it this way, I won't have to deal with a bigger band plus it doesn't hurt and, also important is it works if you don't have anyone to help.  Just say'n....  those holes do get easier to connect with use.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will try this matthewfitbit but still you guys need to think of people with arthritis.  I have terrible pain in my right hand so I am hoping that if I do it and undo it a bunch it will get easier.  But wow.  Maybe if this is interchangeable the fitbit people need to make a band with a clasp for people with arthritis.  Thank you.

Best Answer
They have a stainless steel band on their site that I tried to preorder in
February. As of today, there is still just a "Notify Me" button showing. I
keep asking when it will be available - but no reply. This band/bracelet
looks like it is our only answer for the moment for arthritic hands.

Sharon

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world,
remains and is immortal." Mason Albert Pike, "Ex Corde Locutiones"
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same complaints: struggling to get it on and then having to really knock the top to get it to register. But, I used a pair of needle nose pliers (anything that is tapered will work) to very gently stretch the holes on the band (you shouldn't be able to see any difference and it should still be secure) and now it is easy to get on and much more responsive. It only took a few seconds and it made a HUGE difference. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

FWIW, I've always thought that instead of wearing it in the shower (what are you going to track?), that's a good time to put it on the charger.  

...my $.02

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:
I have mine on as directed-charging prongs on top outside of wrist, biut the band clasp seems to be going the opposite direction of the band clasp in the illustrations above. Is the band on backwards from the factory? I just got it yesterday and love it. The clasping does get easier!

If it seems backwords for you, you can always switch the bands to the other sides of the main unit. Hpe this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes