Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clasping and switching your Alta wristband

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

One of the trickiest parts of getting started with a brand-new wristband tracker is simply learning how to get it clasped properly. The following post can help you with that!

How do I clasp my Alta wristband more easily?

• Before putting the wristband on your actual wrist, you can clasp and unclasp your wristband repeatedly using both hands. This will help to loosen the holes in the band a little bit, and should make it a bit easier to clasp when it's actually on your wrist.
  • As detailed in this help article, most people have success with "pinching" the clasp between two fingers when they go to put it on. This will usually be more effective than simply pushing hard against your wrist, which is both awkward and potentially uncomfortable.
  • An awesome tip that has been shared by @Gmadiane is to place a drop of olive oil on the holes and push the clasp through. This seems to have worked for quite a few other users. Thanks for sharing!
    clasp.PNG
  • Once your wristband is clasped, make sure that both the metal prongs are securely in their holes, as shown below on the left. If one of the prongs is still loose, as shown on the right, then the band is not yet secure and may come off your wrist unexpectedly.
    clasp2.PNG

We're confident that you'll be able to get your alta clasped with just a little practice. Don't be discouraged if it's difficult at first - it definitely gets easier over time!

How do I change my Alta wristband?

Fitbit Alta's wristband is detachable from the top and bottom of the tracker, so that you can replace it with accessory bands of different color or material. For help with detaching your Alta's wristband, check the steps in this help article, or watch the video below. 

Best Answer
812 REPLIES 812

Sorry all.  I tried everything suggested, oil, hot water, practice, etc.  It went back today.  Sadly I never got to use it and see if I even liked the way that it worked because I could not get it to clasp.  Really Fitbit, you've got to change the way that the band functions; it was a no go for me.

Best Answer

How many days is enough to work on it?  I could not get it to clasp even off my wrist.  I sat for hours trying and bruised both my fingers and wrist.  I'd say week is enough time.

Best Answer
It is getting a little easier to clasp, I've been using oil on the prongs.
If I am in a hurry, it still takes too long to put it on. In time, maybe
my fingers will get stronger or the holes will loosen up...
Now I have to check it out on a treadmill. I read that post about it not
tracking correctly....
Best Answer
0 Votes

@juliegf wrote:
Carol77777 - it shouldn't be that difficult. Are you sure that you have the
2 ends of the bands completely straight on top of each other and holes
lined up ?

I agree. It shouldn't be that difficult. I received my third band in today's mail. Before I attached it to the Alta, I snapped and unsnapped the band four or five times before I attempted to snap it onto my wrist. At first, I had to use my (short) fingernails, and really work at it. Then it was much easier. Once you have it loosened up, you have to make sure you feel the prongs "pop" into the holes, or it won't be secure.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Carol77777

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you after so many failed attempts. I totally understand your frustration because I went through similar experience. I've had mine since mid-March. I remember the first day when I tried to put it on. It was ridiculous. How can something as simple as clasping a wristband become so difficult??? Congrats to the users who didn't have any issue snapping on closures; however the problem with this type of closure system does not end there.

In my case the first 4-5 days was a struggle to clasp closures. I suppose with wear, the pastic perforations became more flexible. That is no longer an issue. What I am concerned is about the opposite effect: to lose tracker. I always make sure the closures snap on properly. I already had one experience when it snapped open...didn't lose it, but I've read posts where some users have already lost their trackers.

Logic would have me deduct Fitbit wanted to make this snap-on system safer (customers had reported losing previous model tracker that uses same closure system). Most likely a quick and cost effective solution just came up in the form of making the perforations tighter instead of changing this faulty closure system.

In my opinion, a product like this should stand on its own merits. There should not be a need to use oil/hot water, never mind struggling to put it on. There should not be a need to buy fasteners in order to keep tracker secure on one's wrist. If there are compnies out there selling fasteners for Fitbit Alta, that only confirms this type of wristand has an inherent  security deficiency. I hope Fitbit would offer within their accessory menu the option to purchase wristbands with a secure buckle closure for my ALTA.

Wristband issue aside: I love my ALTA. I am utilizing all its wonderful features.

Best Answer

I wanted to love the Alta too.  Previously I had a very cheap Pedometer just to track steps but it wasn't very accurate.  I liked that it would sync with the phone and remind me to move.  Just such a silly defect with the band not working.  Could they offer a different band?  I made sure that the manager and the Dick's Sporting goods store I returned it to knew why it was coming back.  It is very silly that the major flaw is NOT the technology in the device, but the band itself.  

Best Answer

I love my fitbit alta. I've had it for months. Before this, I had the fitbit one and wore it with a wrist band by another manufacturer. The clasp on the alta is not easy to manipulate. The fact that this forum exists and Matthew had to post four bullets on how to deal with the band and clasp is enough evidence. Please make one band option with a buckle and watch this wristband clasp forum go away. I really want to buy a fitbit alta for my mom. The only solution for us is to buy one large enough that she can either slide her hand into it clasped or release the band from the device (again, the band will have to be larger for her to get her fingers inside the band). I deal with the clasp, but I don't like it. I hate having to take it off to shower, swim, or charge it because I hate putting it on. It pops off when pulled or when it catches on something. I had to buy and wear little extra bands to keep it from popping off when pulled (by a child, grocery bag, jacket, purse strap, backpack, life). I wore a Timex Ironman for decades and never worried about losing it because the buckle was secure. You have created a great product that I want to wear all the time! I love the new slim design. The device works well. The design is sleek. Please listen to the thousands of customers who are telling you we need a buckle option. Please create a band with a buckle. Make a band option with a buckle so we don't have to go to Amazon and Etsy to buy accessories (that are potentially less secure and not as well designed as a fitbit version) for your product. If it costs the same as the standard bands I will be the first to buy two - one for my mom and one for me. Thank you. 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

I agree with you 100 % !   I have signed up at the Fitbit website to be notified when the metal band is available. I'm willing to spend the $ because I truly love the Alta. The band - not so much.

Best Answer
Amen!!! I love my Alta BUT the only way to put it on is to first snap the wrist band while it's off my wrist, then undo one side of the band latches as if I was changing the wristband, then after the Alta is back on my wrist, i reattach that side of the band back to the band latch.
Best Answer

@Carol77777 Sorry to hear that you had to return it. Robot Sad I will make sure to forward your feedback to our product team. 

@Michfit @SometimesLucy @bitfan While the style of the clasp is indeed similar to that of previous trackers, it's worth noting that it has been redesigned based on customer feedback from those products. The physical latch is much more secure. The band also does not extend past the clasp, so there isn't anything to "catch" and pull the tracker off your wrist. We know that the security of the clasp was an issue for some customers in the past, and have taken steps to make sure Alta improves things.

@Carol77777 @bitfan @juliegf @Wzella @SometimesLucy I'd also love to see your vote and feedback in this existing idea within our Feature Request board.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
Maybe suggest an ordinary buckle Claire as well for people who would prefer
to pay a bit more!
Best Answer
I personally wouldn't like a buckle. My hubby has a HR and I sometimes wear it. I don't like this... I love my ALTA!!!!!
Best Answer

Hi Erick,

Thanks for your reply. The real problem is with the Clasp-on Closure System. It is not secure enough.

The Alta has a sleek, beautiful design. I don't want to lose it if doesn't stay latched. Same concern is voiced again and again by thousands of users. Even after the redesign modifications you describe, clients have lost their Alta trackers. It "almost" happened to me while carrying my Yoga mat.  The physical latch certanly did ot prevent it from opening. 

The Alta is  wonderful tracker. I join the thousands who are asking for the option to order accessories with a secure buckle closure wristand for the Alta. 

Hope Fitbit makes that option  available in the near future.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

@Skat77 It's great to see you in the Community! So sorry to hear about the difficulties you have experienced with your Fitbit Alta. My friend @andymattmom suggested great tips. Also I'd like you to check out Matthew's post, which has other tips to put on your Alta.

Keep me posted on the outcome my friend and I'll be around! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

Try clasping and unclasping the band several times while the tracker is not on your wrist, both to get a feel for it and to loosen the holes. I did that a few times and now I have no problem with the band.

Best Answer

@Wzella @Michfit I totally agree that options are always a great thing! To make your voice heard, I recommend voting for this existing idea within our Feature Request board. These ideas are shared with our product teams on a regular basis to show them what our userbase wants to see as features and in our products.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer
I just got mine today (first time Fitbit user, yay!) and trust me, it was horrible getting that dang clasp I'm both holes but I used a little of my hair oil (yes hair oil). I put very little on my fingers (thumb and index) and put the oil and both the metal buckles and the band itself to where I'd clasp it on, and it worked!! I used my garnier hair oil but honestly you can use any oil, I just wanted to use this oil because I didn't want the smell of say olive oil to stay on the band. Hope this helps some first time users as myself!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Someone suggested with the Alta in place on your wrist, pressing the underside of your wrist against a hard surface like a laptop case, and it worked like a charm for me. I also reamed out the holes a little with a knitting needles and that seemed to help. Definitely a design flaw that needs to be fixed.
Best Answer
Casper31, son of a gun, that's clever! I have two bands. One is easier to get on than the other. I like trying oil ( haven't yet), but using the clasp as if changing straps is foolproof!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Casper31973 wrote:
I close the clasp off my wrist push it with my nail. Then I remove the band (like your gonna change bands) only one end. Put the Alta on and close the band by the actual device.

This is what I do, too. I just got my Alta yesterday and found it very hard to get the pegs through the holes. So i decided to try unhooking one side of the band. I put it around my wrist to see if I could manage to hook it with one hand and I can.  I also tested to see if I could get one side off while it was on my wrist (to take it off while keeping the band clasped). I could. This is my solution now.  Now I'm just trying to get my Alta setup on my phone.  It found it. Trying to get "the latest version". That seems to be hanging up.

Best Answer
0 Votes