Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fitbit Update: 9/12/19

Hi Everyone! 

At this time, we'd like to announce that we've made major improvements on the back-end to Android syncing. This thread has been running for a year now and the time has come to close it from further discussion since these changes have been implemented. 

The changes that I've mentioned were made to improve syncing across the Android platform, not just for OS Pie 9.0 specifically. To ensure you're receiving the best results, we recommend staying up-to-date on the latest Fitbit app version. As of today, you should all have version 3.5 downloaded on your mobile devices.

With the changes that Google made since the release of Pie last year, we've done what we could on our end to manage and maintain the best syncing experience. In addition, Google has now started the release of Android 10 which some of you have mentioned is working better for you. Please keep in mind the text notification issues with the sender's name or call notifications showing as 'unknown' are separate from this and will be tracked here

Thanks for your cooperation throughout this process. If you need to report a new issue, we always welcome you to start a new topic. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

I just updated my Google pixel to Android P yesterday, and am disappointed to find I cannot sync my Fitbit one any longer. Is there any workaround for this issue, or a fix that is in the works? Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

Have you tried the common troubleshooting tips @pohlinger31

Since the OS was updated, I would remove Fitbit and install a fresh copy. This will also clear the apps cache.

Have you removed the tracker from the phones Bluetooth, do not remove from the app.

Tried restarting both the phone and tracker.

Best Answer

Yes, I reinstalled the app and tried to re-link the Fitbit one. It cannot find the device during the pairing process.

Best Answer

If you simply reinstalled the app, you want to log into your Fitbit account. The Fitbit app will try and sync the One that is connected to your account. Know need to relink anything.

Best Answer

The problem persists. I found I am only able to get the device to sync if I first go to my bluetooth settings on android and pair the fitbit one with the phone, then sync with the fitbit app. This will only allow it to work once or twice though, and then I'll have to do this again to get it to sync...

Best Answer

To pair to the phone, or to unpair from the phone @pohlinger31 th user should not be able to pair the tracker this way. 

Best Answer

I previously used the Android fitbit app to monitor my heart rate in real time, with my Pixel 2 XL sitting on the elliptical machine's display shelf.

After updating to Google's newest Android version 9 (released 8/6/2018) my fitbit app no longer syncs heart rate at all: the heart rate tile simply shows a static (not pulsing) heart shape graphic with two lines beneath it and resting heart rate shown under that on the heart rate tile.

My steps sync and sleep date is also in sync, so it appears that just hearty rate data is not being synced.

I have tried checking all relevant setting in the fitbit app and have the following set to 'on':
- All-Day Sync
- Always Connected

- Notifications are on for Calls, Text Messages & Calendar Events

In case it is helpful in troubleshooting, I tested text and voice call notifications and both work fine.

Possibly relevant specs for hardware/software:

Phone - Google Pixel 2 XL running Android ver. 9

fitbit tracker - Charge 2 running firmware ver. 22.22.55.2

fitbit (for Android) app - ver. 2.76 (updated 8/7/2018)

Troubleshooting steps performed so far:

- restarted Charge 2 

- restarted my Pixel 2 XL

I'm an exec support technician so I'm used to the usual troubleshooting steps.  I have not yet uninstalled/reinstalled the app on my phone nor have I factory reset my Charge 2 because I found it curious that just the heart rate tracking isn't working while everything else appears to be OK.

I'm guessing the continuous real time communication that keeps the Charge 2 updating the open app on my phone is being blocked somehow by the new Android version which is increasingly focused on battery savings.  This may be something that the fitbit app designers will need to work out with the app's coding itself, and how it will need to interact with this newest version of Android.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice

Best Answer

I find that I am unable to sync consistently on Android 9 as well..

Attempting to sync after upgrading operating system to 9 my Fitbit one will not sync.

After going to settings, trying to pair (and getting a failure as Fitbit is not allowed to pair this way), I went back to the Fitbit app and immediately tried syncing, and sync was successful.

Best Answer

Same here with a Versa and Pixel 2.  No live heart rate in the app.  I only see my resting heart rate.  The tracker itself displays my live HR.

Best Answer

Add me to the list.  After the upgrade to Android 9.0, the syncing no longer worked (tracker could not be found).  

Removed the device in the app (in my case, the Zip), then could not add the device back using the app.

Removed the battery from the Zip, and put it back, then was able to add the device and sync. Sync worked off-and-on a couple of times after that.

However, today, I'm back where I started, and the tracker cannot be found again.

I guess until a fix (or better workaround) is in place, I'll just have to go through the same process every day (remove device in app, disconnect the battery, connect the battery, add the device to the app, sync).

Best Answer

That's the only way I am able to sync my Zip with my Google Pixel running Android 9.0.

Hope FitBit has quick fix.

Best Answer

I upgraded my Pixel to Android P the other night and, ever since, my One tracker constantly looses connection to the app after mt screen turns off and the app remains idle. I have tried closing and reopening the app, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, uninstalling the app/shutting the phone off and restarting/reinstalling the app, and removing the tracker from the app and adding it back. The only "temporary" fix I have found is if I restart my tracker, and then sync it. I say "temporary" because after the screen turns off and the app is idle for a while, it loses sync again.

Best Answer

Mine won't sync either. I updated yesterday and it worked okay until today 

Best Answer

Mines been the same since i did the update this morning and I'm on samsung 8. I have done all the usual stuff and nothing changed. I also uninstalled the app and reinstalled it again and still nothing, the tile is still static. I'm using the versa and on the watch it is still working but not in the app! It still tracks and logs but doesn't show in the live tile. 

Best Answer

Same here with aPixel 2 XL on Pie. Pairing and syncing only works once or for as long as the app remains in the foreground. As soon as a few minutes with it in the background the bluetooth connection appears to be lost and the tracker cannot be found. I'm guessing that power management or some other background task management changes have hosed the app. 

Best Answer

I have the same issue as of today. Followed all the advice found on another thread with regard to install/uninstall, bluetooth settings, all day sync etc. Even put the app on a different phone and the heart rate and steps no longer show up in real time. I didn't know about the Android update however, and what you said at the end of your post makes sense.  Hopefully they get this figured out soon!

Best Answer

Having the same problem since update

Best Answer

I reset my Fitbit a few hours ago and that worked until just now .Tried turning off app, Bluetooth, pjone but just get "tracker not found". So frustrating!

Best Answer

Update. I seem to have it working properly again. I uninstalled the app, reset network settings, reinstalled the app, and re-paired my One and the tracker is still found and syncs after several hours. Maybe resetting network settings is the answer since uninstalling without this did not improve the situation.

Pairing still doesn't seem to be 100% accomplished by the app on its own however. I need to have the app in the "searching for your tracker" process, go to Bluetooth settings, discover my One and attempt to pair there, before switching back to the fitbit app when it then appears to be able to find the tracker OK. 

Best Answer