Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

@LanuzaFitbit: Well, I'll take the bait and ask "further questions" on the 1 month anniversary of my problem, i.e., today.

So far I have not received answers to 3 simple questions -- either on the forum or from Fitbit support on Twitter.

Anyway, here goes - I have 3 simple questions that have a "yes" or "no" answer - shouldn't be too hard.

1. Have engineers at Fitbit managed to consistently reproduce the problem. If yes, great. If no, there are many of us here who can help.
  2. If the answer to the above question is a "yes", then have the engineers at Fitbit figured out the root cause? If yes, great.
  3. If the answer to the above question is a yes", then have the engineers at Fitbit figured what what the fix is? Note that I am not asking for ETA for a fix.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for this level of transparency after patiently waiting for 1 month.

Best Answer
For what it's worth, rolling back to the 2.77 version of the Android app
does restore the Bluetooth workaround. I just did this on my 2XL. It's not
glamorous, but it does claw back a bit of functionality.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't dispute your results, but I'm still running 2.62 and have the sync problem. I can manually sync by rebooting my one.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am so frustrated with this app. My Fitbit hasn't been able to connect for MONTHS. I have tried everything. 

- restarted phone

- restarted the app 

- uninstalled and reinstalled installed the app

- updated the app

- turned on and off blue tooth

-restarted the fitbit 

- tried to see if it would connect at different distances

Literally everything and it still won't sync. Eventually I gave up and just used to Fitbit as an overpriced digital watch, but when I got a brand new phone I had hopes it might finally work. Still. Nothing. 

You should not advertise this as compatible with Android. Mine worked for a few months at best (still trouble syncing from time to time) and now nothing. 

Best Answer

Really? No updates? Have they even looked into it?  Not sure what changed at fitFit but it's not the same company that I have used since buying the ultra.  When it wore out, customer service was awesome and gave me 1/2 off of a one.  Still using it to this day, or at least I would if I could sync it.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit One: f/w 6.64

Pixel 2XL, with App 2.78

Have restarted phone several times,

Have uninstalled and reinstalled the app,

Have tried to connect the Bluetooth to the One again (this workaround used to work, but not since 2.78)

The only way to sync after 2.78 is to reboot the One via the charger. Then I can sync one or twice within 30 mins or so.

Can sync with other Windows 10 devices etc at any point.

Best Answer

I've found the same (can only sync once or twice by restarting it via charging cord and computer, which is crummy because I don't own a computer!). Before the last fitbit update I couldn't initiate syncing ("tracker not found") but it would do it on its own 3 or 4 random times in a day. Since the update it won't even do that. It sucks that the Android P update seemed to have wreaked havoc with what was a great and very useful device. I'm tempted to upgrade to a Charge but fear it would be the same as now and I'd be throwing good money after bad. Usually fitbit has such excellent customer service so I'm not sure what is going on and why no feedback or update on this issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just updated to Beta 3 of Andriod Pie on my OnePlus phone hoping something would change and I'd be able to connect my Zip device to my phone. 

No luck!  Same as before.  When I attempt to connect via Bluetooth, I get a response saying the connection was refused by the device.

I too am getting discouraged.  Seems like this is taking a long time and not much information is available from Fitbit!  No information really!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have exactly the same set-up, and exactly the same problem. Short term reset / restart fix works, but of course that's no use long term.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone.

Thanks for your continued patience and understanding.

Unfortunately there haven't been any updates in regards to an ETA for a fix but we'll be sure to post about it as soon as we have any new details to share with everyone. 

If there is anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to let me know.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lanuza,

At this point, we need an ETA. We are paying customers for a product that claims to be supported. Please get us more information or get a product or engineering manager to talk with us about what the holdup is .Thanks .

Best Answer

No, this is not acceptable!

It has been over a month since this issue was reported.

Best Answer

Does anybody have non-Fitbit products that you would recommend?  

It's been over a month and the communication has been non-existent.  We've been disrespected and I am starting to feel like it's time to move on.  Any recommendations?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using my old Moto 360 Sport and the Google Fit service. The Google Fit service has come a long way, it is pretty good. As for the watch even though it is a 2 year old device, it manages more than a day battery life except for when I use its built-in GPS. Google seems to still support this device in terms of software and OS updates. The fact that it runs Wear OS, the integration with Android is pretty seemless.

I don't see a point using my Fitbit anymore.

Best Answer

@mr-Navarath wrote:
Isn't that a Mounds bar?

How right you are...... I will fix that immediately 😉 Of all the things I've lost, I miss my memory the most lol.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello Lanuza,

Before this whole episode began, I pre-ordered a Charge 3 to replace my
Flex. At this point, without any sort of indication about if and when this
issue will be resolved, I am considering cancelling that order so that I
don't end up buying a new device which won't work for me right out of the
box.

Any specific information from the developer team at this point would serve
as confirmation that this issue hasn't just been tabled. It's looking like
Fitbit has opted not to spend resources on fixing this, otherwise your
messaging might have evolved over the course of a month. It can't be that
top-secret.

If it appeared that actual work was being done to solve the issue, I might
be able to justify spending money on a new, exciting product. But it would
be really foolish for me to do that if it seemed increasingly clear that I
would not be able to use it, and no progress was being made to that end.

As the weeks go on, more and more of your users will update their devices
to Pie. More and more users will replace their devices with ones that ship
with Pie. This may be a support problem right now, but it will evolve into
a sales problem. And you can imagine what kind of answers people will be
giving when someone sees they are wearing a Fitbit and asks, "How do you
like that? I am thinking of getting one."

"Well, it used to work, but now it doesn't, and there is no indication that
the company has made any progress in fixing it over the past month"...
several months... half a year... etc.
Best Answer

People, not sure if anyone has reached out to Fitbit on twitter, I have just tweeted to FitBit and FitBitSupport.

https://twitter.com/RKLVV/status/1041696901987491840

I believe we need to voice our concerns beyond this discussion board now!

Best Answer

I posted on Facebook and one of their bots responded with a "Have your tried reading this article on syncing" link. . . Standard boilerplate language that has nothing to do with this problem. . . Frustrating!

Best Answer

@TheMiddleWest wrote:
I've noticed an interesting pattern. The whole time that I was using the
workaround on v2.76 and v2.77, my tracker would sync pretty reliably at
1:11 or 1:12am, and at almost no other time.

Before The Sept 6 2.78 update I had this. I could force the sync by going to Bluetooth > Pair a Device and tapping my "One" then quickly switching back to the FitBit app to sync. BUT, then the Sept 6 2.78 update came out that was supposedly fixing the issue. All it did was make my previous work around and the random 1am sync stop happening all together. Now I have to restart my One at my computer to have it sync.

I reverted to the 2.74.2 July 11 update before all this happened. I am hoping this might fix the constant sync issues. Crossing my fingers it works. And if it does. What the hell is the FitBit Devs doing!? Revert whatever bad code you put out there. This is horrible that it's 1.5+ month later and this is still a huge issue. 

I can no longer recommend FitBit products to friends let alone want to buy another one. 

Best Answer

Since the Pie update, I've had trouble with Fitbit syncing, Garmin syncing, and Bluetooth headphones staying connected. Seems like the issue goes beyond Fitbit.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes