Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

... and I bet it will stop working again later.

I switched out my One for a Zip (because Fitbit tech support made me jump through ridiculous hoops and eventually told me that it was out of warranty and my problem). With the Zip, it will work immediately after pairing, and I can make it work again for a very short time by popping out the battery and rebooting. But I don't want to have to do that every day.

Best Answer

Sleemo you are a superstar!! Thank you so much for your help!!

I still feel that Fitbit will lose customers though. I will not buy a new one at this rate and when looking for a new fitness tracker will look elsewhere based on this experience and their lack of action or support.

Best Answer

Upgraded my S9 to PIE, now fitbit app is eating the battery unless i force stop it....

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sleemothanks for trying out a new solution. Didn't work on my OnePlus 5T + Fitbit Zip, but maybe it will work for others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@oolong @icyfehr - Glad it worked out for you, hopefully it lasts. Mine's been working fine, including notifications, for 24 hours. Let's hope it stays that way 🙂 I hope it helps a few others.

@fawlty - sorry this didn't work for you. Hopefully someone will be along with something that works for you soon. Maybe even Fitbit 'Support' will surprise us.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A key reason I was having issues was that on the authorised devices the same phone was repeated several times.

I manage to solve most of my problems doing the following:

Unpaired device

Deleted the app

Cleared user data on fitbit (settings -> about -> clear user data)

Reinstalled the app

Went to Security and Login -> Manage Account Access -> removed all devices from the list

Paired the device again

I am using a OnePlus6 and since I did it for the first time the connected GPS worked and sync is much faster.

Hopefully it will keep working.

Best Answer

@agarcia86, thank you! After doing what @Sleemo suggested and what you suggested (femoved the authorized devices) it worked for me - at least for now.

Don't know if only @agarcia86 method would work on its own, since I tried both at the same time.

Hope this sticks!

EDIT: well it worked last night, and now, 14 hours later it's no longer syncing. At least not right now. Sigh.

Best Answer

Today marks exactly six (6) months since my Pixel One (1) phone updated to Andriod 9.0 (PIe) and my Fitbit Zip stopped syncing.   Six months have passed and I've tried every suggestion on this thread to solve the problem, still no solution.  Six months have passed after contacting Google and Fitbit, but still no resolution. 

Fortunately I still own an old Android tablet with Nougat (7.0) that will sync with my Fitbit Zip so I haven't lost data.

When will Fitbit and Google fix the sync issue?   Based on progress the past six (6) months my best guess is never.   Fitbit and Google have driven my phone and Fitbit into obsolescence.  

I will need to seek an alternative fitness tracker and/or phone moving forward.

Yes it's painful.  Six (6) months have passed and Fitbit and Google have failed... 

Your mileage will vary of course.... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

FWIW, my Pixel 3 got its February patch, and I still got "Tracker not found" right away. So whatever Fitbit is waiting for Google to fix, it's still not fixed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sleemo Thanks for this....
It has been almost 6 months since I could sync and get notifications on my phone. I've tried other solutions and they did not work.

Crossing fingers hoping this works for more than a few months/weeks/days.

My phone: Nokia 6.1

My Fitbit: Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone!

Glad to read that the steps @Sleemo mentioned are working for some of you.

Be sure to try the steps mentioned in this post and in this other post. They both seems to have worked for some users so please give it a try.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried that now it will not reconnect. It is time fitbit fixed their android pie issues

Best Answer

I have tried everything recommended. Still will not sync. Uninstalled and reinstalled FITBIT app, which is ( should be) your latest update, yet my Zip will not sync with my Samsung since the Pie update.....unacceptable. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Someone made an official complaint on the Android issue tracker for this. We need to get in there and star the issue if it's still not syncing for you on Android Pie. 

More stars means more attention from Google to fix this problem.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/123997469

Best Answer

This doesn't look to me like a Google issue. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 that recently updated to Android Pie (v9) and I can no longer sync to my Fitbit Zip. I had problems when the phone was on Android Oreo (v8) but it eventually would sync, but not as consistently as other Bluetooth devices. My Zip would never sync well enough to show up on the Bluetooth device list presented by Android when turning on Bluetooth.

I have 3 other Bluetooth devices that are syncing fine with Android Pie: an external GPS device (Bad Elf), a Yamaha sound bar, and a Samsung Gear 360 camera. All show up on the Bluetooth device list and connect without issue under Android Pie.

I am wondering whether Fitbit knows how to do Bluetooth on Android. It looks like people have been having problems for 6 months now, and no fix. Wouldn't it be ironic if the fix required a firmware update on the Zip that couldn't be done because it requires a Bluetooth connection? Not that funny, is it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Two days ago I received an update to my fitbit app. After that I could reconnect my tracker AND sync with it. My app is ver. 2.87 (20213363)

Best Answer
0 Votes
RE: "Wouldn't it be ironic if the fix required a firmware update on the Zip
that couldn't be done because it requires a Bluetooth connection? Not that
funny, is it?"

I have an old Samsung tablet running Android Nougant (7.0) and my Zip syncs
fine. It just won't sync with my Pixel 1 running Android PIe (9.0). So if
there's a firmware update for ZIP, I can update my ZIP firmware via the
Samsung tablet. Obviously there's no Fitbit firmware updates for Zip.
Best Answer
0 Votes

using mi A2 and has been having this issue since pie update.

today tried your method and it works! thank a lot!

Best Answer

Yeah see that's my issue too. All my other Bluetooth devices work except for my Fitbit Versa and my only other Bluetooth Low Energy device, a button that allows me to skip, pause and play media remotely. Both of them refuse to connect and both are Bluetooth LE devices so I think Google is to blame for some of this mess. 

So if it doesn't work there's no harm in staring my issue on the issue tracker to get Google to look into it more on their end. Right now.

Especially since our Google Pixel 1 XL phones are close to end of life support. 

The media Button doesn't require any app and worked fine before Android Pie on Oreo.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Which method are you tested ?

Best Answer
0 Votes