Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

For what it's worth, these are the things I did before the syncing mysteriously started working again.  Notifications don't work by the way, but I suppose something is better than nothingSmiley Happy

1.  I tried the solution using Nrf Connect.  So, downloaded that from the playstore and opened it.

2.  When I opened it, my charge 2 was shown as a device, and already bonded.

3.  I unbonded the Charge 2 and tried to bond again.  Got a message saying something like "Incorrect PIN or Passkey".

4. I opened the phone bluetooth settings...my Charge 2 was still there.  I long pressed and forgot the Charge 2.

5. Then went to Fitbit app and started a sync. 

6. Went back to phone bluetooth, pressed the + for add a new device.  Charge 2 comes up, try to add it.

7. Message came up, "pairing".  Then the message went away and nothing seems to had happened.

8. Tried again, this time the same "Incorrect PIN or Passkey" message came up.  I think at some time during this I went back to the Fitbit app and started pairing again, since it had timed out.

9. Opened apps from the phone setting menu, enabled "system apps" from the 3 dots (if you don't do this you can't see the system apps) and selected phone bluetooth app

10.  Went to memory and storage for the bluetooth app and deleted the cache.

11.  Back to fitbit app (sigh), initiate pairing, back to phone bluetooth and tried to pair.  It bounced once, and then just seemed to stick at pairing.

12.  Got fed up, tried using my computer to sync, got an error message, and a suggestion that I should turn off other bluetooth devices.

13.  Went to my phone to turn off bluetooth and found that it had actually synced!

14.  Which of the steps above actually did the magic trick, I don't know...but you can try and replicate and see.  One observation, keep trying with the "add new device"  from the phone bluetooth, and have patience.  There seems to be some criticality with timing in terms of establishing the connection.

14.  Up to today, about 1 day later, syncing still works, both automatically and manually.  However notifications don't work.  But I don't dare to touch anything because it will probably stop working again...Smiley Frustrated

I think the key things here were the unbonding (using the Nrf Connect app), the deletion of the cache, and the pairing using the phone bluetooth (I suspect the Nrf Connect app would have worked too).  There a post from someone else who unbonded using the Nrf Connect and then successfully paired.

Seems to me there's a problem in the Fitbit App in making and maintaining the bluetooth connection, and residual information stored in the cache blocks the connection from happening somehow.  So when you break the connection, clean the cache and bypass the app when remaking the connection then the phone talks to the charge 2 without the app interfering.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

#metoo

It's the only thing I can do now.

Best Answer

"unbond" made the thing for me. When I started the nRF tool, my fitbit was alresdt bonded but not connected. When I clicked on connect, it first failed  then connected but all properties where compeltely missing. The device property tab in nRF was empty.

Once I did the unbound then disconnect then bound again (had to bound twice, first it failed) then connect, at last I got the device property tab full of properties and at this point the fitbit app synch'ed correctly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Received my warranty replacement Versa yesterday, works fine.

For those having issues with Android, you should try another platform.  Borrow someone's iPhone, or use your laptop if it has bluetooth.  No device I tried was able to hold a connection, which clearly pointed to a dying bluetooth module.

Best Answer

Hey what @Kamleman posted was really fiddly. But it worked, I kept messing with Nrf Connect, then I could pair in blootooth, I ran forget device (Didn't clear cache though I did that earlier this week). And now it found the Fitbit.

Luckily, nobody will know why this works and most people will still have this issue...

@Ddivis How the hell would that help us? Borrow someone's phone? The issue is that you can't connect with your own phone, whilst you were able to do so before.

I can verify it works with other devices sure, because It does whooptiedoo now I'm stuck after trying something that didn't help me.

(fixed it for me now though).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@tessierp

Ok! It's been a few days for me but here's my report.

My brand new in the box fit bit Adidas addition Ionic came Tuesday of this week. Its Friday!!! it's worked and synced 2 days only. This morning (Friday) Its not working anymore. No syncing no notifications. 

"I give up!!"

No more Fitbit for me.

My new device (name I will not mention) will be here tomarrow.

My personal take on this issue.

We should NOT have any issues with any of these devices .We should not have to tweek, cut off bluetooth,  reset device, cut on bluetooth,  go in phones setting and change them just to get OUR devices to work.  They send out updates that are not ready to be sent out . Do more testing, and if they decide NOT to work with Android phones, Let the consumers know this......immediately!!!. 

I will miss my Fitbit.

I will be here and stay in the community to see what happens next. 

Good luck to you all.

Moderator edit: format and remove caps

ANITA GORDON
Best Answer

Many people will follow due to this hughe mistake made by Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@hankyxxx

They have done the same thing to me.. Basically saying I'm advertising the competition.. Hell, I don't care much for the capitalist BS, but if your **ahem** is not working and you wont bother helping us out and do something, especially after people had issues for months, what do you think is going to happen?? My VERSA works now, but I am really far from impressed with them. They have not done anything or kept in touch with people having issues.. Like a giant FU to all of us.. My whole family has Fitbit.. Guess what, as soon as we find a good alternatives, BYE BYE Fitbit.

Best Answer

I purchased a Spadeandco. I'm trying to post a picture but of course I can't, this form will not let me as well as I tried to send it to your private messages and that was a no go as well. I look just like an Apple watch  

ANITA GORDON
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Anitaweev

I researched and saw it.. It is very affordable.. I hope it works great for you. I'm still researching what I will be going with next.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you and good luck

Moderator edit: format

ANITA GORDON
Best Answer

The solution by @JulioD@ reallyworks

I use Fitbit Flex 2 and One Plus 6. 

I downloaded the app nRF Connect from Playstore. 

In the nRF app i Scanned - Bonded - Connected my Flex 2 and then went to Fitbit app and paired it. 

The first time it worked.

Second time the fitbit threw the Bluetooth error.

So, the third time I Unbonded Flex 2 and uninstalled the nRF App. Unpaired it from Fitbit App. Again installed nRF app followed the same steps Scanned - Bonded - Connected and then again on Fitbit app paired my Flex 2. From there on I have not faced any troubles of syncing. 

It has been four days. 

Now I only open the Fitbit App, switch on the Bluetooth and sync the data. 

Thank you @JulioD@

Best Answer

Hi all!

My Fitbit Charge 2 FINALLY syncs!!! I don't know what caused this, but here is what I did:

- Try to sync with Windows 10

This didn't work at all. I tried and tried and tried, but with no success.

- Restart your Charge 2
By using the usb-charging cable that came with your Charge 2. Charge your Fitbit and while you do that, hold the button on your device for 4 seconds (it will now restart, without losing data).

- Try to sync again. And again. And again on your Windows 10 computer.

Take a look at your Bluetooth settings. Maybe your Fitbit can't see your computer. So please try everything you can. It won't work, but don't worry.

- Take a breath.

Pause for a little while.

- Try to sync your Fitbit in your phone (mine is a Nokia 8, Android Pie).

It won't work via Bluetooth settings. But still, don't worry.

- Turn off Bluetooth on your Windows 10 machine.

It did the trick, I guess.

- Wait.

And see Fitbit badges on your Windows 10 computer of in your e-mail inbox.

- Check your Fitbit app on your phone!

It synced!!! It finally does sync after all those weeks!

What did the trick? I really don't know. But it worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am still unable to sync since mid December 2018 on OnePlus 5 after pie update. When can customers expect a fix?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wjbot Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for stopping by the Android app board. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble syncing after updating to the Android Pie OS. Since Pie released and became more widely available across devices, we've been aware of some syncing issues. There were some changes made to this OS that affected how our Fitbit app syncs in the background. Our team is still investigating these reports, but by working with Google we hope they will release a longterm fix.

If you haven't already, please try our standard troubleshooting in this article: Why won't my Fitbit device sync? Others in this thread have shared from experience what did the trick for them so they could get back to syncing regularly. If there are any updates on this matter, we will notify everyone and update this thread. 

@hankyxxx @salonee @mathijssegers @Kamleman Thanks for sharing what has worked for you all! We really appreciate all your troubleshooting efforts for this syncing issue with Android Pie. When Pie released last year and became more widely available across devices, we've been aware of some syncing issues with the Fitbit app. There were some changes made to this OS that affected how our Fitbit app syncs in the background. Our team is still investigating these reports, but by working with Google we hope they will release a longterm fix.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To everyone else following along in this thread, please know we’re aware that this is still an issue affecting many of you on Android Pie and we're working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble this has caused and appreciate your patience. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are aware this is the second time this has happen. Once in August, then four months later in Dec? So riddle me this? Why are they NOT catering to us android users? If it happen in Aug, they were aware of the mistake with android system then, then they turn around and do it again in Dec? This seems to be a fitbit habit. Not making sure our androids are compatible with the fitbit system updates.  

No disrespect to you @AlessFitbit

ANITA GORDON
Best Answer
0 Votes

My OnePlus 6, which has not been able to sync since upgrading to pie in October 2018, had a system update today. This update has resolved the issue and I can once again connect to my Fitbit.

Best Answer

Wait, u got a new update today?

@SleepyCat

ANITA GORDON
Best Answer
0 Votes

Please read our previous replies about using the nRF tool. Do the following: disconnect, unbound then bound and connect. It worked for me and for the previous customer who suggested this!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just as Aless says, the core of the problem lays mostly in the OS Bluetooth implementation per device, I'm not justifying Fitbit though, I also believe they could had done a little more.

By the way, I'm glad to read the NRF Tool app have worked for some of you.

Edit: some typos.

Best Answer