Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

I am way past the 45 days. I have a zip which seems to be unsupported. I would buy another one but after hearing new supported fitbits still have the issue i am trying to decide what to do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@reggert and @Snoopster  yep, I agree. And this is one area where Apple has the upper hand with rolling out OS updates. This is also a big reason why I have been on Pixel and Nexus phones as they get updated often and quickly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

AGREED!!!!  If there is no plans to fix the issue just say so!!!   Or if its actively being worked on tell us more about is being done. Have a technical support leader at fitbit who represent the programmers come onto this forum and talk to us.

Best Answer
0 Votes

aww 😞  that sucks 

I would argue the fact that you spoke to them within the 45 day return period and they advised you to try the zip which did not work and you have not had a working device since purchase

@AndreaFitbit  is there no way to put a policy in place or speak to the management to see if there is anything Fitbit can do for the users that have had the issues and reported them to Fitbit within the 45days from purchase .

This will restore alot of faith in Fitbit and avoid any reprocuissions of the way Fitbit has handeled the situation

Best Answer
0 Votes

@reggertI agree, we maynot work for Fitbit and understand how it works, but some of us actually do similar types of Jobs and maybe we can work together to get it sorted. I have offered my services on the call to Fitbit Customer Services and was told the team are well equipped and don

t need help from the public

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been using One Plus 5T for last 1.5yrs. I started having sync problem with my Alta HR since Feb 2019. So I bought Ionic in Aug 2019 thinking that my hardware had failed. But I had setup problem with Ionic too on Windows 10 App and One Plus 5T android app. It just wouldn't connect. I read all the forums and  was in touch with customer care. They advised me same thing what's in the forum.Nothing worked. 

I bypassed the Android play store and download the older fitbit android version from internet, Fitbit version 2.82, dated October 31, 2018. 

This fixed the problem. Now my Alta HR is syncing back after 4 months of non syncing. Also I can setup my ionic. 

Moral of the story: Just go back to the previous working sofware version of fitbit. Fitbit app development team is breaking millions of working device by rolling out half baked code without properly testing for all the devices. Forums and customer support are shooting in the dark as they cannot advise customers to rolll back to the previous working sofware version.  They just don't want to accept problem is in their latest app update. 

Best Answer

I'm sharing my experience with Connected GPS and Android 9, in case it can help someone.

In the last months I've had issues with the Connected GPS feature with my Charge 2 and a OnePlus 6. As soon as I locked the screen of my phone the GPS link interrupted, until I unlocked the phone, and so on... I tried changing every imaginable option in Fitbit and Android battery settings, but nothing worked.

Some days ago I reset my phone and after that the issue is gone. The connected GPS now works flawlessly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was using my Huawei tablet with Android 8 to sync my Fitbit zip. it was working fine until the August update, can no longer sync on Android 8 either!

Best Answer

Hey, did you manage to get it to sync with Nokia 8? I have a Nokia 9, I was able to halfway sync (no notifications about calls and messages but anyway sleep and activity data was coming in). The Fitbit ap just updated and now I am back to square 0. Actually I used a sync fix for Huawei and seems it helped. So a question to the ineffective Fitbit support - if someone can develop a fix for Huawei in his home, how long do we have to wait for a fix for Android?!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I've been following this thread as I also have (had) the same problem syncing my Ionic.  I had a Nokia 8 (not listed as compatible) on Android 7.1 later 8.1 and no issues with syncing.  Changed to a Nokia 8.1 (again not listed as compatible) with Android 9 and suddenly syncing issues, sometimes it works fine other times had to uninstall reinstall, delete from Bluetooth and go again.  I then upgraded to Android 10 Beta 5, started from scratch and installed all apps again and...have had NO syncing issues.  Ionic always syncs, notifications always come through and even if I go on a long run and get back to my phone it syncs almost immediately.  Point is, maybe the issue was with Android all along and not Fitbit hence why they struggled to fix it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Samsung Galaxy 8 and a Charge 3 & 2, running Android G95 updated on 8/23/2019. I'm half afraid to say this out loud but ever since the update, it's been syncing fine. I also had firmware updates for both Fitbits in the past 3 months, which took forever but I'm glad to say that it's syncing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update on my situation. Based on a suggestion from someone who posted here recently, I asked Fitbit support to replace my zip. Even though it is past the 45 days since i purchased, they agreed to do. I am happy to report my new zip is so far successfully syncing with my samsung s8 running android 9. A ray of hope. Doesnt diminish the issue and Fitbit really needs to address though. Thanks to Fitbit support for doing this for me.

Best Answer

Add Samsung 10e to the syncing problems. My time is messed up. I het the same messages as other reports. I have the charge 3. Sync is seriously broken. 

Best Answer

Is this really still an issue a year later? I just spoke with a Fitbit rep and was informed that it's an issue that Fitbit is aware of and working on a fix. Little did I know that this has been a "known issue" for a year now. This is completely unacceptable that anyone running Android 9 (which is just about everyone) has the likelihood of running into this problem. When will we be getting a permanent fix? I just bought my wife a Versa and am going to return it if this isn't solved very soon.

Best Answer
Honestly, I'd return it now and move on.... I've got a drawer full of
branded fitbit paperweights gathering dust for over a year now.... I'm done
with fitbit!
Best Answer

@Detizo wrote:

Is this really still an issue a year later? I just spoke with a Fitbit rep and was informed that it's an issue that Fitbit is aware of and working on a fix. Little did I know that this has been a "known issue" for a year now. This is completely unacceptable that anyone running Android 9 (which is just about everyone) has the likelihood of running into this problem. When will we be getting a permanent fix? I just bought my wife a Versa and am going to return it if this isn't solved very soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a fix.  I just read that Google is about to release Android Q on the Pixel.  In the not too distant future, it will become available on more devices and there'll be less focus on Android 9.  I really don't think that there will ever be a fix for this.

And I wonder how their devices will work with Q.

Best Answer

@ScottKilbo wrote:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a fix.  I just read that Google is about to release Android Q on the Pixel.  In the not too distant future, it will become available on more devices and there'll be less focus on Android 9.  I really don't think that there will ever be a fix for this.

And I wonder how their devices will work with Q.

Charge 3 + Android app work fine with Q (beta dp6 on Pixel 2). I can't speak for other Fitbit or Android models. But then I've also had no problems with Android P. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@daitcs55, thanks for posting that link.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing fine.

I am sorry for the late reply and appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this syncing issue you are experiencing.

Thanks for the information, @ZINZIN.

@Snoopster@Acid0057, @Pokerface@pampurio97@Gerrya35@fictrix, @SunsetRunner, @Tiabessa@IleanaM@Detizo@ChrisJH@ScottKilbo@Decoherence@daitcs55@Lilbiddy and @reggert, if you are having problems syncing your Fitbit, I recommend trying the following:

1. Go into your phone settings and select "Apps"

2. Find and select Fitbit

3. Tap "Advanced" and then tap "Battery"

4. Select "Battery Optimization"

5. Tap the bar at the top of the screen and select "All Apps"

6. Find Fitbit in the list, tap it and select "Don't Optimize"

7. This should help improve your syncing experience and should not have a large impact on your phone's battery life.

If this process doesn't fix the issue, please take a look at this post.

Keep me posted. 🙂

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes