Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

You realize @AlejandraFitbit this has been suggested dozens of times on this thread  already over the past year and for many has done nothing?  

Best Answer

@reggert wrote:

You realize @AlejandraFitbit this has been suggested dozens of times on this thread  already over the past year and for many has done nothing?  

Exactly this.  Every once in a while someone comes in and talks about how everything's just fine for them.  That's great for them (believe me, I'm jealous) but that is not the experience of the majority of users in this group.

I can mostly get mine to sync right at the moment, but I have to force it to work.  It won't do it on its own.  This morning I tried to sync my sleep data and it took it eventually, but only after about ten minutes of trying.  Up until the sync, it just said "Looking".  The last time it synced was yesterday morning at 6:04am, and that was the last time that I manually synced it.  For awhile, it was syncing on its own, but it wasn't anything that I did to make it work.  It just worked.  And I haven't had a single notification for over three weeks.  Now it's back to only syncing when I force it and patiently wait for it to actually find my device when I can go into bluetooth settings and see that it knows the device and is already connected to it.

This last six months of my fitbit life has been frustrating.

There is a fundamental problem with this device and Android P that Fitbit has already admitted to.  It's an issue that is over a year old now.  My hope for an actual fix decreases each day that we go without a fix.

Best Answer

@AlejandraFitbit I have tried all the troubleshooting steps you suggested. I've also tried the steps in the "solution" you linked. In addition I have tried turning off the wifi on my phone, reconnecting the fitbit to the app (app doesn't see it), manual sync in the app (again, it can't see the fitbit so it won't sync) and restarting the fitbit and/or the phone. The only thing that has worked is restarting the device(s). Sometimes restarting one fixes it but sometimes I have to restart both. I've tried different combinations to try and locate the issue but it doesn't seem to follow any patterns.

HOWEVER, despite fixing the problem about 75% of the time, it is ALWAYS a temporary fix. And, this is important, I didn't start having this issue until around the same time that the Fitbit app updated on my android device. Also note, the first time I "fixed" it by restarting devices, it worked for about 20-ish hours. However, each time I've utilized this temporary fix, it's length of time that it worked has diminished. So much so that the time I tried, which was this morning, it lasted for less than 20 minutes. 

Now, this may or may not be the same issue that all your other frustrated customers are experiencing. but it seems odd that it is decreasing in workable time after each restart. Also, my phone has zero issues connecting to several other bluetooth devices. My troubleshooting prowess leads me to believe that perhaps something is wrong with the hardware on the Versa. But then again the fact that it started happening around the same time as the app update makes me think it might be software...so who knows. 

What I do know is it doesn't work. It has turned from an excellent smart watch/fitness tracker into a fitness tracker where I can't actually see any of the fitness data other than the info for the day of. Definitely NOT what I paid for. Let me know how you can help.

Best Answer
@AlejandraFitbit  , I have done this 30 times , I have reset the phone and also the fitbit device , paired it up again . Sang the national anthem to the Fitbit , nothing works, why don't you tell FITBIT to sort it out instead of asking us to do the same thing over and over again ?

Best Answer

Instead, they'll delete posts explaining the actual problem and giving practical suggestions (that is: quick, ask for a refund while you still can, because no fix is in the works — it's been a year!!!)

It's super-disappointing. I really, really liked my Fitbit One. But you can't treat your customers like this.

Best Answer

Hi,

Today i got an system update to my samsung A8. After update everything is working like it should. Notifications is working (calls, massages and calendar), syncing works, excersice loggin with gps and no pairing errors ( charge 2 is is not visible at bluetooth menu). It seems that problems are now fixed at last!

It seems that there was something wrong on
Android 9 itself and not in fitbit app ( in my case). But still this has been worst customer experience i ever had. Zero points for Fitbit and Samsung because both is telling same bull**ahem** again and again even they know the reason for sure.

Best Answer

Fitbit support sent me a new fitbit zip last week. Auto synced to my samsung s8 running android 9 for about 48 hours or so before stopping. I am back to taking the battery out if i want to sync. i suspect i am again stuck with another expensive paperweight. 

Best Answer

I keep getting told by Fitbit that since this is a "known issue that their team is currently working on a solution for," they cannot honor the warranty on the device. So I won't even know if a different one will work or not. But the fact that they are flat out denying my warranty on the device is outrageous. I'm still trying to talk to them before taking this to the media and returning my wife's newly purchased Versa, but I don't have a lot of confidence in this company anymore.

Best Answer

I have a google pixel 2 xl. My Fitbit Blaze has not been receiving text messages, since April or May. I was getting call notifications, but now they have stopped. I went through the steps above, and it did not help. I even called Fitbit customer service. They didn’t get it working either. What can I do? 

Best Answer
Give up and buy some other brand that works. This hasn't been fixed in one
year. It's not going to happen now.
Best Answer

Gotta love these mods, you post some thing to help they say you vioalted the guidelines, and so if you want to respons to them send them a message, which you can't , then you post your reply on the forum so they can see and respond to you , and that gets taken down due to zero tolerance against there mods , funny enough there was no harrasment or anything untoward in the post. The mod said to me send me a message and I will look into it and reply , this is still not been done. This post will also probably get me to be in violaiton of the almighty fitbit laws , where we not aloud to say what we want under the free speach act , yet when they are challenged they dont repond  Mod's why don't you do something to restore the community's faith in the company instead of striking out against people who are trying to help?

Best Answer
Bothy one and charge 3 have not synched since Aug 22. Garbage
Best Answer

Thanks Fitbit,

My Samsung S8 received an application update this morning and I'm able to transfer the data from my Zip to my phone again.

This is the most consistent data transfers that I've had since my phone updated to Android 9.0 (Pie) and i hope that it stays that way.

Thanks again!!

Best Answer

My Pixel 3 updated recently to Android 10, and my Zip now suddenly syncs reliably. This might therefore be specific to the Fitbit app's behavior on Pie.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried get mine to sync after I updated to 10, and I still won't receive
texts.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It does look like Fitbit has identified the sync issue that affected a few of the phones running Android 9. 

@StorybookSteph I assume 10 refers to the Android OS beta version 10. Typically since the OS is in Beta Fitbit doesn't try to release a version that has Ben tested. Since the OS changes frequently. 

Best Answer
Ok, thank you. I guess I'm going to start researching a new watch. This is
annoying. Thanks for the info.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue Outstanding news Rich! How do we find out more about this fix??

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue Android 10 has been released officially 5 days ago. And technically it is not only a beta but also a developer preview aimed at developers to get ready with their apps.

Best Answer

Oops my bad, I did see that it will be released on the 5th of September. 

Best Answer