Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

Another update. It failed to sync after 3 hours. Clearly resetting network settings is not the answer.

The app however did manage to find the tracker again after I attempted pairing from Bluetooth settings.

I turned on "always connected" to see if that changes things...

Best Answer

Deb,

I'm surprised to hear that you're being affected by this on a Samsung phone.

You won't receive the Android 9 ('Pie') OS upgrade for months yet, if by the end of this year.  The update you received may have been a security update on your Galaxy S8.

It's only Pixel users that will have received the OS update, which now makes me wonder if this is not the Google update (to Android 9) but perhaps something in one of the recent fitbit app updates that has been pushed to us Android users (regardless of phone manufacturer and across multiple versions of the Android OS).

I'm going to check with one of my iOS-using friends to see if he is still able to see heart rate synced across to his iOS fitbit app.  I'm guessing it's just Android that's affected though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here in P with an essential phone. 

Please fix! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the Fitbit app v2.76.  I noticed it after installing that version while still on Oreo.  I have since updated my Pixel 2 to Pie, and I still have the issue.

Best Answer

I'm a Pixel 2 XL owner who has just updated to Android Pie but all works fine syncing with my Charge 2 with one exception: no heart rate data.

I had opened a separate thread yesterday (here) for this issue, including all my troubleshooting steps so far and any relevant hardware/software version info that may help the fitbit app devs.

Initially I had thought it to be a problem with Pie but then a Galaxy user chimed in, noting an 'update' that immediately preceded her sync problem: couldn't have been the Android Pie update (not on a Samsung device, not this soon) so I'm starting to suspect it might have been a fitbit app update that caused this.

Best Answer

It's definitely a Pie issue.  I went to bed with my One working on 8/7, woke up, updated to Pie, then on that night, 8/8, the tracker stopped working, no Fitbit update within that day.

Best Answer

The current app was working with my Pixel on Oreo though. So i think it has something to do with the Pie or the Aug 5th android security update. But I don't think a Galaxy would have gotten the security update this fast.
For now I am just using the Fitbit Wireless Sync Dongle USB with my Windows 10 laptop to sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since I joined the Android P Beta it's not been working properly.

The only reliable way I have found to sync is to open Blue Scan (a third party BLE Scanner App) and start a Classic Scan and keep tapping the Zip until "Zip" appears in the list, then switch to the Fitbit app.

The Fitbit app will then eventually sync, often on the second attempt.

Since updating to the release version of Pie manual syncs keep failing, but if I lock the phone it will sync a minute or so after the last failure.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MisterShark

Thank for your reply but I am inclined to think it is more to do with the fitbit app update as I had no problem with it before that! Also the steps tile is no longer live either, been checking it today, everything still syncs up when I open the app or pull the screen doen to resync but just no live tiles anymore! The app update was a security as well an improvement update. Laughable really as it's just taken it back to how it use to be a few yrs ago. 

Best Answer

I've continued to experiment. The problem does seem to be that something in Pie is causing the BT connection to be lost. I can consistently get it back by starting a sync from the app, going to BT setting and trying to re-pair my One and returning to the app, at which point the tracker is usually found and the sync completes. As soon as the app is in the background foe a few minutes the connection is lost again.

Best Answer

Add me to the list. Fitbit zip will not sync on 9.0 (Pixel XL). Worked perfectly before the upgrade. 

Best Answer

When .having a sync problem, the app needs to know what tracker to sync. Removing your tracker from your Fitbit account is the b St way to add problems. People need to stop doing this. It is like throwing the key away, when having problems unlocking the door. Let's review some of the steps that have to be helpful. 

Best Answer

I just had a chat session with support for the same exact problem, Zip and 9.0. They had me remove the tracker from my account, remove the battery from the fitbit, put it back in, and then re-add it. So far so good....but many people are reporting that syncing breaks again eventually so I'm waiting to see how that goes. 

It's really frustrating because the support rep told me they have no reports or knowledge of any issues with android 9. I told her that Reddit as well as this community is full of reports about it. *headdesk*

She also told me that oh by the way, the Pixel 2 isn't on the official list of supported devices yet. 

Best Answer

Had the same experience with FitBit support yesterday. The Zip stopped syncing very soon.

Best Answer

Yeah right on cue. The app can no longer find the fitbit when trying to sync. 

Best Answer

I tried deleting the tracker from the web interface and app. Same difference. Tracker lost as soon as the app is in the background for some (not determined yet) time.

I also tried switching off Pie's new adaptive battery feature which also made no difference.

Best Answer

I tried that too, and also granted ALL app permissions. No dice. I'm going to re-open the trouble ticket. 

Best Answer

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. 

Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Ok, since I've had to do this a number of times, I tried to remove some steps.

Today, I got it to sync by ONLY removing the battery from the Zip and replacing it.  The sync worked after that without even closing the app (and without removing/re-adding the Zip from the app).  I simply pulled down to do a manual sync (after removing/replacing the battery), and it worked. 

Of course, the next time I tried to sync it failed.  So, looks like every time I need to sync I will need to remove and replace the battery.

Normally, based on this workaround (only involving doing something to the Zip, and not my phone), I'd infer there was something wrong with my Zip (even though it is pretty new). 

But, I didn't have this problem before the latest version of Android, and sounds like it is happening to other people. 

So, the sync problems continue...

Best Answer

@MisterShark

Just been reading through what you wrote in your message again about the version 9 update on android and checked my phone settings again, as my phone updated last night to the version 9. The update from fitbit was done In the morning and that was when the problem with the live tiles started.  

Just thought I would mention it 😊

Best Answer