Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9.0 (Pie) not able to sync

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 3/6/19

Hello everyone! 

We have some updated troubleshooting suggestions we'd like for all of you on Android Pie (9.0) to try. 

First, turn off Background Restrictions/Limitations: Phone settings > Apps & Notifications > Fitbit app > Background restrictions or Background limits.

Then, disable battery limitations:

1. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit app > Advanced > Battery > Battery optimization
  2. Change view to All apps
  3. Search for Fitbit app
  4. Choose Not optimized

Please give the steps above a try to improve syncing with your Fitbit device and Android 9.0 OS. We're still researching and testing out long-term solutions to this ongoing syncing issue. We thank you for all your patience while we continue to work on this effort.

Fitbit Update: 2/14/19

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your reports and patience with these Android 9.0 syncing difficulties. We’re aware of this ongoing issue and have been working to identify a resolution as quickly as possible. 

We're sorry for any trouble. We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting you back on track as soon as possible. 

I'll let you know if I receive any additional information on this matter. 

Fitbit Update: 10/3/18 

Hey Everyone!

Our team is still working on implementing a longterm fix for syncing with Android devices on Pie (9.0). 

For the background syncing issue, I have posted an update in the other floated thread which you can find here

We released Fitbit for Android version 2.80 today which contains improvements for that syncing issue. 

I'll make sure to keep you all updated with more information, as soon as I have it available. We're still working on this and I really appreciate everyone's patience. 

Fitbit Update: 9/26/18

Hey everyone! 

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation. We are aware of the issue and working with Google on a solution.

I will continue to provide updates here, so keep an eye on this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 9/10/18 

Hi, everybody! 

Thanks for your patience while our team continues to work on improving syncing for those on Android Pie (9.0). They are actively working on this and for the time being, I recommend you keep the Fitbit app updated on the latest version for best syncing results. Right now that is version 2.78, so if you're not on this version please update! Also, another troubleshoot we recommend is performing a restart on your phone. 

When there are more improvements made in the future I'll announce them here. Stay tuned and subscribed to this thread. 

Fitbit Update: 8/19/18

We have escalated these syncing issues for those who are now using Android Pie (9.0) to our team for investigation. There aren't any updates at the moment, but rest assured we will keep you informed in this thread when more information is available.

Thanks for your patience! 

Fitbit Update: 8/11/18 

Hi, everyone! Thanks for stopping by the Community Forums. Smiley Happy

Seems like many of you who updated to Android Pie (9.0) are now having trouble syncing your Fitbit trackers. I'm going to escalate this to our team so they can look into it.

In the meantime, please update the Fitbit app to version 2.76.1 if you haven't yet. Let me know if that changes the syncing behavior. Please follow this thread for updates. I'll keep you all posted here! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
2,479 REPLIES 2,479

I am in the unfortunate position of having our corporate wellness program require FitBit so I have no other choice.  I hope you can find something by a company which supports their products better than FitBit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@k3rning wrote:

@TheMiddleWest wrote:
I've noticed an interesting pattern. The whole time that I was using the
workaround on v2.76 and v2.77, my tracker would sync pretty reliably at
1:11 or 1:12am, and at almost no other time.

I reverted to the 2.74.2 July 11 update before all this happened. I am hoping this might fix the constant sync issues. Crossing my fingers it works. And if it does. What the hell is the FitBit Devs doing!? Revert whatever bad code you put out there. This is horrible that it's 1.5+ month later and this is still a huge issue.

It's now been 5 hours after reverting to 2.74.2 July 11 update of the app. I am still able to sync which is a record for me since this debacle began in early August.

I will report tomorrow if the 2.74.2 July 11 update is still syncing my FitBit One. It boggles my mind, that if true this old version will continue to sync, that they still haven't fixed whatever broken code they shipped with the recent updates.

But for now, at least the old version (2.74.2), which can be found with a quick google search, seems to be working on Android Pie. 

Best Answer

Took k3rning's advice and dropped back to 2.74.2 and yup, I'm back to syncing. 

I agree...boggles the mind that this older version synchs on Pie but not the newest version. 

I basically searched for the version, downloaded the file, uninstalled the latest install, then installed the newly downloaded file.  It askied if I wanted to link to my One, said yes, and it took about 30 seconds to synch. 

Let's hope it sticks. 

Best Answer

I just updated to the latest Fitbit version (2.79) and it appears to be working, as my fitbit syncs with my phone now. I did this literally one minute ago. Hopefully this will last. 

ETA: Aaaaaand an hour later, my phone no longer finds my tracker. Very disappointing, to say the least. 

Best Answer

@eculbertson wrote:

Took k3rning's advice and dropped back to 2.74.2 and yup, I'm back to syncing. 

I agree...boggles the mind that this older version synchs on Pie but not the newest version. 

I basically searched for the version, downloaded the file, uninstalled the latest install, then installed the newly downloaded file.  It askied if I wanted to link to my One, said yes, and it took about 30 seconds to synch. 

Let's hope it sticks. 

Just make sure to turn off auto updating on the Fitbit app. You have to do it in the Google Play store app under My Apps and Games > Installed > Fitbit then hit the 3 dots on the top right  

Also as an update. Fitbit One just synced again. So it's going strong on 2.74.2 

Best Answer
0 Votes
@k3rning,

Are you getting normal sync behavior without the workaround on 2.74.2?

I've tried several pre-2.78 versions and now I'm on 2.74.2 per your post.
But I still seem to need to force pairing every time I want to sync...
Unless it's 1:11am. Bizarre.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just reverted back to 2.74.2, and it synced. I'll check again in an hour or so. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine stopped syncing on the reverted version.  I don't auto-update any apps so that was already unchecked but good catch for a lot of people!!!

I just reinstalled it again and it found the tracker.  I have a feeling it will stop again sometime in the next couple of hours but we'll see. 

I'll update later.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is frustrating @eculbertson. I tried again and it synced. If it goes out I guess I'll just stick to the Windows 10 app until this is fixed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine sync'd 1 time...then back to normal non-working Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Any other feedback on v2.79, other than that it worked for an hour and then
stopped working?

I haven't been able to test it because my Google Play is still only showing
the v2.78 from Sept. 4th in my updates. I have 2.74.2 currently installed.

If I go to the play store in a web browser, I see v2.79, but I can't
install it on my device.

Is it safe to assume that the new update from yesterday was intended for
other issues and did not address Pie syncing?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@TheMiddleWest wrote:
@k3rning,

Are you getting normal sync behavior without the workaround on 2.74.2?

I've tried several pre-2.78 versions and now I'm on 2.74.2 per your post.
But I still seem to need to force pairing every time I want to sync...
Unless it's 1:11am. Bizarre.

Hi! I synced all day yesterday. With a full night sleep it didn't want to sync. But I got it to start syncing again easily on 2.74.2 by doing the following.

Turn off phone Bluetooth

Open fitbit app (2.74.2 July 11)

Ask it to sync 

It tells me Bluetooth is off and would I like to give it access 

Click yes in the app to which turned on Bluetooth 

It immediately synced 

This was my normal work around though for months since the app has done this before when ever it decides to be fussy. 

So far July 11 2.74.2 app is working much better than anything since August.

I'm on the latest September Android Pie Security patch with an original Google Pixel 1 (smaller size not XL) 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm using 2.78 on a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I had given up completely, but
after hearing others' experiences of getting it to sometimes work, I tried
again, adding the Charge HR (which I had removed.) I noticed there was a
new Keep Alive Widget in settings, and I turned that on. It's been a week
now and mostly it syncs on its own, but sometimes I have to do it manually
from the phone ... and it works. Not sure why, but there you go.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone.

I definitely understand that you must feel very frustrated.

As soon as we have any updates to share with everyone we'll be posting about them in here.

In the meantime, if you have access to another device or a computer please try to use them to sync. You can click here to get instructions on how to sync with all possible devices.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I jjus use my phone as the step counter. It will not sync with my company's website until a day late. So it looks loke there is activity only eveey other day

Best Answer
0 Votes

Everyone should note that if you set your device up to sync via another device during this time where we're unable to sync on our phone that Fitbit will erase all data on the device.  This is beyond the 'only retains 1 week of data' to start with.  

I did remove my device, as per the app's suggestion prior to finding this post, to try to relink it to get a connection.  Don't do that either.  

So anyone doing work challenges will lose out on all bonuses.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
But syncing to another device still saves it to your Fitbit account, same as syncing to your phone.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Checking in two days later with the 2.74.2 July 11 version of the app. I can't say it has been flawless.

Overall I'm still getting fairly regular syncs. Better than the latest version that stopped syncing all together. 

Some random thoughts. 

I have a Amazfit Bip I use for distance running. I had it on my night stand "turned on" and was  having trouble syncing my Fitbit One. When I left my home I think it stopped interfering as my Fitbit One synced again. I have since turned it off when not in use. Not sure if it's actually a culprit.

Either way. Woke up this morning and synced my Fitbit fine.

Sometimes if I'm having trouble syncing I go to Settings > Bluetooth > Pair a new device "tap" One while syncing and it will sync. This is at least better than the latest app where I lost that "hack" all together.

So 2.74.2 July 11 isn't perfect but it's at least more semi functional than everything released since August. And it's at least better than the September update where the only way I could sync was a reset at a computer.

---

Original Google Pixel (not XL) 

Latest Android Pie with September Security Patch 

FitBit One firmware 6.64

FitBit app 2.74.2 July 11 version 

All-Day Sync On

Always Connected On 

Keep Alive Widget Off 

Best Answer

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Fitbit app (vs. 2.78), and I'm still receiving the Unknown caller on my Fitbit Alta. Phone is Google Pixel 2 XL on Android Pie (9). Not sure what else to try. In addition, I've deleted the cache in the app, and that also did not work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have also tried downgrading to 2.74.2 on my Pixel 1.  I have also noticed that it's a little bit better, but it still stops syncing after a few hours.

Judging by the behavior, there is some background process that deadlocks after a while; when it does this, no further sync can occur.

Toggling airplane mode appears to break the deadlock; when I do this, the notification widget crashes and restarts, and then sync will work again for a while, until it deadlocks again.  I've never had it last a full day without needing an airplane mode cycle.  Other bluetooth-enabled applications continue to work; only Fitbit fails.

Support has been worse than useless on this topic.  They continue to act as though every incident is a totally isolated incident and there aren't hundreds of people experiencing exactly the same problem in exactly the same way.

The silence from Fitbit on this is also deafening.  It's like they want to develop a reputation of not fixing their bugs and behaving as though their widespread problems don't exist.

Best Answer