Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Oreo GPS Issue

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

On Android Oreo, 8.0.0, I have an issue using GPS tracking for walks and runs with my Charge 2. Syncing seems to work and I can see the connection icon on my fitbit when I start the app. However, when I lock the device, the charge shows the phone not available icon and only recconnects to GPS when I unlock and open the app

Best Answer
175 REPLIES 175

@AlessFitbit this just seems to be a background service limitation. Numerous other apps have no problem with this by starting a foreground service and having a persistent notification, eg, Google Fit or Owntracks.  Fitbit should have a persistent notification when tracking anyway.  How is this an issue that has persisted for more than three months? What is there to look into at a deeper level?

Best Answer

Getting really tired of this ongoing issue. Cycled yesterday using Strava and Fitbit selecting Cycle Exercise. Strava works flawlessly, recording 27 miles... Fitbit on the other hand recorded the route and but shows only 0.92 miles.

It really is utterly useless, just wish Fitbit would get some decent developers to sort it out. I was a fan of Fitbit, but I will have to find a reliable tracker to replace this dud.

Best Answer

I got in touch with Fitbit support, they are going to send me a replacement so I can see if it's a software or hardware defect.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So they send you a new Smartphone? This is a problem with the Fitbit app, that is not compatible with Android Oreo GPS policy. They should to their homework and fix the app. The GPS functionality is totally useless with Oreo at the moment.

Best Answer

Fitbit has updated his app to version 2.65.1, see link to APKMirror.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/fitbit-inc/fitbit/fitbit-2-65-1-release/fitbit-2-65-1-android-apk-down...

Now, the app has a permanent notification like @SunsetRunner has mentioned it. I haven't tested the new version regarding gps yet, so I can't tell if the gps issue is fixed. 

The only problem is, this permanent notification runs continuously. I find the notification bar annoying. The app should be able to start the permanent notification extra for a workout run or bike tour. I deactivated it under Android settings notifications and will activate it for a every bike tour.

Best Answer

Thank you for your note on 2.65.1. I got the update from Playstore and checked it while taking a walk with the dog.

With Fitbit 2.65.1 everything works as expected for me, even GPS tracking. My phone is a OnePlus 3T with Android 8.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmm, this morning the app didn't recorded my cycle while driving to work. Seems like gps with Oreo isn't always working.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@seven83, I am unfamiliar with APK Mirror. My last installed version is 2.64. I just checked and there is no update in the Play Store for me. It looks to me like APK Mirror might for for Testers? If it is than I am interested in your experiences for the new version.

When my Nexus 5X running Oreo failed, I had been unable to keep GPS running for a full walk. My new Pixel 2, after all app updates, worked fine with my Blaze except for GPS. (I don't use notifications.) I was going through the list of things attempted for the Nexus 5X after Oreo, which is slow this time of year due to weather. I finally just made the rest of the changes all at once. Wednesday GPS stayed connected for the full 30 minute walk. The weather will be good enough Friday and the roads and walking path should be clear of snow for me to test again to see if it works for more than one walk.

I am hoping an update will be released that will let me stop using the notification widget and turn battery optimization back on. If 2.65.1 is a general release, than my guess it that I am further down the distribution list somehow and will receive it soon.

Thank for the early warning of the new update and have a Terrific day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all. Some weeks ago I replaced my Moto G 2nd gen. (Android 6) with Nexus 5x (Android 8.1) and with surprise I fell into the same issue: no communication between Charge 2 and Fitbit app while running in background (so no GPS data recorded): unusable !
I tried app 2.65.1 version. Now it works, but notification icon annoying (my opinion).

The app crashed 2 times when I disabled bluetooh.

I hope that Fitbit release the app without notification icon and solves all issues.

(sorry for my bad english !)

Best Answer

I just want to say, that I wasn't on 2.65.1, it was just 2.65 that got problems with my OnePlus. Now I'm on 2.65.1 and don't have any GPS issues anymore. Thank you @Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

(Fitbit 2.65.1) This morning I did a walk: about 10 km in 2 hours. Battery usage 60% !
GPS recording worked well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Goosse1962 Version 2.65.1 is not a beta but has not published at the playstore yet. 

You can install the app per sideload on your smartphone. 

I found out how to stop the annoying permanet notification bar. 

At the Fitbit app:

1. Go to your Account by tapping the Account icon on the upper-right hand side. 
  2. Tap on your tracker tile. 
  3. Scroll down, there is a new option called "Keep-Alive Widget"

If you toggle off "Keep-Alive Widget", the permant notification bar will disappear. So i can easily toggle on/off the permanet notification for every workout.

@SunsetRunner and @Ric67

Is it necessary to toggle on "Always Connected" to get an accurate gps?

This option is right above "Keep-Alive Widget".

Best Answer

@seven83

My test has been done with "Always connected" toggled on. 

I don't know if it is toggled off the GPS recording works. 

But my question is: GPS recording works if "Keep-Alive Widget" is toggled off ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ric67 Thank you for your reply.

"Keep-Alive Widget" must be toggled on. It activate the permanent notification which keeps the Fitbit App awake for better gps tracking.

"Always Connected" improves the bluetooth connection eg. for notification and synchronization. But is it still necessary for the gps tracking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

At the moment I don't know if "Always Connected" toggle is needed.

What I know is that "Keep-Alive Widget" toggled on drain my battery event without smartphone bluetooth enabled.

In my case seems I have to toggle on "Keep-Alive Widget" only if I need GPS tracking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, everyone! 

Sounds like some of you have updated to version: 2.65.1. This is great news! This version contains improvements for Connected GPS and Notifications. If you haven't already, please update the app. 

For more information, please take a look at this article here. Thanks for your patience while our team worked to improve the Fitbit app, to make it a better experience for Android users.  

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 2 still only gives me half to two-thirds of the distance Strava and Zombies Run! report. 100% still not resolved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Nexus 6P still loses connection a lot while walking... GPS results are all over the place...

Am using 2.65.1 and Android 8.1.0

Best Answer
0 Votes

My current solution is to turn off Bluetooth whenever I do an activity, and use Strava to record it instead. So far this has had 100% success rate. The down-side is that I am not able to merge heartrate data from the Fitbit with GPS data from Strava when my Fitbit does not have any GPS data. It also means that my cardio fitness level is meaningless because, again, Fitbit does not have any GPS data.

There are 5 features listed as "Standout Features" on the Charge 2 marketing material: PurePulse Heart Rate, Multi-Sport Tracking & Connected GPS, Call/Text/Calendar Alerts, Cardio Fitness Level, and Guided Breathing sessions. I bought the Charge 2 for the heart rate, GPS, and to a lesser extent the cardio fitness level, and don't care about the alerts or guided breathing. That means 2 of 5 features work, and they are precisely the 2 of 5 features I am not able to use.

I deeply regret purchasing this device and am trying to get a refund. If this had been my experience when I first purchased it, I would have returned it immediately. I am now outside of the return window.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found one possible "solution" to this issue on a different forum,

turning off all Battery Optimisations for bluetooth!

I did a short walk to test today and didn't look the GPS signal

once during the 30 min.

Best Answer
0 Votes