Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate graphs no longer charting every day

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I primarily use fitbit to keep track of my heart rate. I have high variability that follows a clear ~monthly pattern, shifting 1-2bpm every day, with highs and lows often as far apart as 10bpm. The graphs which were added/updated earlier this summer proved very useful in tracking that pattern.

However, I've just gone to check those graphs and realized they've changed. Before, the month, 3 month, and yearly graphs all charted every single day, so that even when I was looking at a whole year's worth of data, I could clearly see my heart rate shifting from day to day. Now, the 3 month graph charts a single data point for every 6 days, and the yearly graph charts a single data point for every month. This makes it impossible to see my trends over time.

I've gone through the settings to see if this is something I can fix, and found nothing. Is this tied to a setting, so I can change it myself? Or has fitbit changed it in an update?

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Fitbit did, indeed, fairly recently changed the chart/graph displays - back in July. What you used to see was rolling data for the time periods you were looking at (so last 7 days, the last 31 days etc etc) The changes put everything into 'hard' date ranges - so this week only, this month only etc. whilst one can look back at previous weeks etc, those views aren't as useful for seeing trends as the 'old' style rolling data periods was. 

Unfortunately, there aren't any user settings that are available to make the views more friendly. 

A very large thread was opened about this - I know the title of it specified nutrition and weight, but it did become a thread that had lots of input from the community saying how the majority of the chart/graph features were deemed to be a step backwards, as opposed to improving anything for users - https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Issues-with-nutrition-and-weight-graphs-after-update/m-p... 

There were also multiple feature requests logged to revert back to the old charts/restore some of the functionality we all loved. One of them is https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Bring-back-old-chart-features/idi-p/5194845 which also links to 2 of the others

It's a definite from the company that a reversion back to the old charts/graphs isn't going to happen. but we have seen unannounced modifications in some of the app updates since the new charts were unleashed onto us. There may well be more 'massaging' of the new/current layouts, but we'll only be aware of them when we see them as and when our apps are updated and we actually see something different 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks so much for your reply! To clarify, I'm not referring to the update made in July. While I found some of those changes clunky and frustrating -- particularly being locked into a specific date range, and the graph ranges changing as you flipped through them so you can't get a good read on trends -- I was happy to finally have a yearly graph.

Sometime recently [edit for clarity: like, within the past 2 weeks], however, my yearly graph, which after that July update had a data point for every single day, changed so that it now shows a single data point for each month. So for example, my shift from high 70s to mid 80s for September so far...

Screenshot_20220910_094254.jpg

...is averaged out to a single reading of 82bpm. 

Screenshot_20220910_094332.jpg

And I'm thus unable to get a good read on the pattern my heart rate follows beyond the past month.

Sorry if that was unclear in my original post. But thank you for the information, I didn't realize how contentious the July update was!

Best Answer

ahhh... maybe this was one of those 'stealth' changes that we didn't actually want or need to be done 😞 hopefully one of the moderators will see this and pass it on the dev team). I never noticed this because I very rarely venture out of the week view myself.

Failing that, I guess you could raise a feature suggestion - I don't think anyone has raised anything specific with the heart rate charts as yet 🙂

Best Answer