Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High mobile data usage of the Fitbit app

ANSWERED

I noticed that in the last month the Fitbit app had a high mobile data usage. In January, it used 1.80GB of data, and in February it has currently consumed 400MB, when in the past it only used around 120MB per month. I don't recall using the app more or doing anything different. I have a Google Pixel 6A and a Fitbit Inspire 3, so no fancy watch faces or apps running on the tracker. All of the data usage is foreground so turning off background data limit won't help.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone. This bug has been resolved. If you are still experiencing issues, please make sure your app is updated to the latest version. Thank you for your patience!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

I've noticed exactly the same thing! My phone says that the app has used almost 400 mb in just two days!! And none of it it's background use. What's going on? Why's the app using so much data? Hopefully someone has a solution.

Best Answer

@p1hilp this is still a lot. For me, monthly is 30mb-40mb on Android. One time, there was 66mb (for December) but this could be a month after it downloaded the Charge 6 FW update. Otherwise, the monthly usage is negligible in my case.

Best Answer

I also have the same problem. My data usage has jumped to 3 34gb this month from about 500mb. There is no way I will be able to keep this up each month. I have one of the Fitbit mods can help soon, I'm nearly out of data.

I have noticed this month a massive jump in my fitbit using mobile data. I have turned off background data but most if the data used is foreground. It has jumped from 500mb average to 3.3gb. This is a massive jump in data usage and I have no idea how to resolve the issue or where to turn to get help. There is no way that I can keep this amount of data usage each month. I have a Versa 4 and a Samsung A53

Best Answer

Hello everyone. Thanks for reaching out about the amount of data consumed by the Fitbit app. 

I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about this. Would you be so kind to send us a screenshot of the data consumption summary? Which version of the app do you have? That way I can document this properly. Thanks in advance. I will keep on monitoring the situation. We shall see if others are experiencing the same. 

RodrigoM | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Please see the attached screenshots for the lastvtwo months of data, and tbe version I am using.

1000012169.jpg

1000012148.jpg

1000012149.jpg

Best Answer

@JessAdders Thank you very much for the requested screenshots. I will forward this information. As soon as I have news about this, I will let you know. Thanks again. I really appreciate your patience!

Best Answer

1000009220.png

Here's my screenshot too. I ended up deleting the app because it was insane the amount of data it was using.

By the way, I did reinstall it after deleting it to see if that would help, and after doing that usage seems to gone back back to normal (about 1 mb per day).

Best Answer

@JuanGos Thanks for the update and the screenshot. I am glad to read it seems to be back to normal. 

Would you mind checking which version of the app you have installed? I would like to see if the last update was the cause or similar. Very much appreciate you taking the time to share this. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Google apps also replied and asked me to log out then log back in. I will find out how much Fitbit is using once I get my mobile data refreshed. 

Best Answer

@JessAdders Thank you very much for your prompt response and cooperation. Do let us know. That is certainly help us reach a conclussion. Have a nice rest of your day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why is my Sense using so much data. It usually 33mb on average per month?

It has used 1.35 GB in the past 4 days.

Why the increase, I have not changed anything.

I am also having the same troubling issues. My monthly average is in the 33mb range. I have used 1.37GB in the past 4 days alone. 

I cannot sustain this usage. How can this be resolved?

Best Answer

Hi Rodrigo. The version I installed was 4.09.3.fitbit-mobile. I can see now that the Google Play Store has a new update available

Best Answer

@Dmac_g   Do you use an Android or iPhone?

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dmac_g I haven't experienced that issue but there are others who reported something similar in recent days:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/High-mobile-data-usage-of-the-Fitbit-app/m-p/5546748

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use an android Sent from my Galaxy

I use an android

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has happened to me. I am usually on wifi. But if I am not for an extended period of time...such as loss of wifi during a storm I will get the same message. A few times when I have gotten this message for no apparent reason I check my settings and find my wifi has been turned off for no apparent reason. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same Issue Here, 

Spike on February... my data plan is now over due to Fitbit, on Foreground!!!!

5.92 GB on 9 days!

Fix your app

Image (4).jpgImage (3).jpg

Best Answer
Yes, it appears  to be a problem with the app. If it continues I will have to delete the app. I CAN'T afford the additional charges. Sent from my Galaxy
Best Answer

Is there a resolution for this issue? This is my 2nd time running out of data because of this. 

Best Answer