Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live heart rate data not working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm having an issue with the HR panel in the app. For weeks now it has not been showing my "live" HR. Only shows my resting HR. The Fitbit itself is showing a heart rate so I know it's recording it and if I tap on the panel in the app it shows my HR throughout the day so it appears to be syncing. It's just not showing "live" which is annoying. Worked in the past. The step counter updates 'live' as I walk so it seems like communication is happening. As far as troubleshooting goes, I've done the following:

Turn off/on Bluetooth on phone

Force stop and restart the app

Remove the HR panel from the app and add back in

Restart phone

Reset Fitbit using the button on the charging cable

Updated to current version of app (3.7)

Any help would be appreciated.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
42 REPLIES 42

Hi @emmjayvee, it's nice to see you again participating here in the Community Forums!

I appreciate all the details that were shared in your post, thanks for troubleshooting this situation prior to posting too. To better assist you with this situation, can you please let me know which Android mobile device are you using? When was the first time you experienced this and how many times since then? 

You can see live heart rate data if you use the Fitbit app for iOS or the Fitbit app for Android with any Fitbit tracker that includes heart rate tracking. The Fitbit app for Windows 10 shows live heart rate data for all trackers that include heart rate tracking except Charge HR. That said, can you please let me know which Fitbit device are you using? 

Please make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your mobile device. Keep in mind that you'll only see heart rate data if you have call, text, or calendar notifications enabled too.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, I'll be around.

Best Answer

Hi Ricardo, thanks for your response. My phone is a Moto Z Play. I noticed the issue at least 2 or 3 weeks ago (perhaps longer) and it has persisted since then. I have Bluetooth enabled and while I'm exercising the step counter continues to update so I'm assuming there is communication between the Fitbit and the phone. It's just not showing any HR info other than Resting HR. I don't believe I have any notifications disabled. I get notifications from other apps. If there's something specific that I should check in that regard, let me know and I'll look. Lastly, my Fitbit device is the Alta HR. 

Thanks for any help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

A couple of days ago there was an update on the charge 3 and now my Android App no longer shows a live heart rate. 

Is there a way to get it to do that again?

Thanks.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer

Hi @JGR1954. It's nice to see a new face around.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and let's work on this together. Before anything else, may I know if the issue is with the heart rate tile not appearing on the dashboard? Or is this tile not updating after syncing your Fitbit device? May I know what it's displayed on the Fitbit app instead of your live heart rate?

In the meantime, please verify the following steps:

1. Go to your fitbit.com dashboard and log int.
  2. Click on the gear icon at the upper right corner > Fitbit device's image.
  3. Scroll down and enable the "Live Data to view real-time data in the Fitbit app.
  4. Open the Fitbit app on your phone, tap your profile's icon > Fitbit device's image.
  5. Make sure to enable the All-day sync and Always connected options.

I'll be around, keep me posted.

Best Answer

@LizzyFitbit. this was reported a a few Android App versions ago. I'm going to be watching since the CC hasn't been able to get this feature working for at least a month. 

Best Answer

Since the new update there is no gear icon in the top right corner. Instead there is an envelope icon.

And now not only is the live heart rate not working on the app but now it says no device found.

This is twice since the new update that the Charge 3 has disconnected from the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JGR1954 the dashboard they are talking about is the on-line one, not the app dashboard. Major cause of confusion to newer users.

If you read @LizzyFitbit s post again you will see it highlighted in blue. If you click there you should then be able to log in. 

Cheers. 

Best Answer

Oh that's just great! I have spent over two hours on the phone with two different customer reps and neither one bothered to mention that. SMH!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JGR1954 yeah, got me at first. I think they expect us to acquire knowledge of the app by some arcane osmosis. The heart rate problem seems to be mentioned by a couple of people, also the devise not found thing.

I'm not able to help with those as I am on Android 5 and app version 3.4.1 is the latest I can get. So keep an eye on other threads too. Good luck.

Best Answer

@Lilbiddy live heart rate will not show up in the web browser, since the web gets its data from the fitbit server, not the tracker. 

The app should be able to get data straight from the tracker, but even the app will be limited to what it will be able to display unless it is online. 

Best Answer

Not the web browser, the phone app, which by the way it does. I just had to
uninstall the app, restart my phone, and re install the app.
Now it shows the live heart rate on the app again.

Moderator edit: removed personal information

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue if you read my post properly you will realise I was trying to help @JGR1954 find the toggle on the on-line dashboard that @LizzyFitbit was referring to. The control there affects what is seen in the app.

It is sometimes not obvious to newer users which dashboard you are referring to hence @JGR1954 saying that they couldn't see the 'cog' as opposed to the 'envelope'  in the top right screen position. 

Just trying to ease some possible frustrations.

@JGR1954 glad to see you got it sorted. 

Cheers. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're welcome @emmjayvee, thanks for your reply too. My apologies for the delay in responding your post.

Seems odd that you're experiencing such difficulties with your Motorola Moto Z Play because it's a compatible mobile device with our products and services. If you haven't already done so, please follow the below steps. I know some of them were already tried but the actual order is important:

1. Restart your Alta HR.
  2. Please on the phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth, and remove all the connections that exist with the device. (Forget device, ignore or unpair depending on the version of the operating system of the phone).
  3. Turn off the Bluetooth and restart the phone. (Switch off and on again).
  4. When the mobile device is back on, turn the Bluetooth on again but do not attempt to connect to the Fitbit from here.
  5. Go on the app and try setting up the Alta HR as a new device.
  6. Let me know if the issue persists.

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got it, thanks.

Best Answer

@Lilbiddy that live days switch was found in the phone app, unfortunately it has been at least a year ago on android. The app did continue to display live data: 

It has been a few months since Android lost love update. 

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue,  again, I was only trying to explain @LizzyFitbit 's post.

I have never seen that toggle on my android phone app. 

I offered no advice on the current app as I can't get it but I do see the animated beating heart in 3.4.1.

Cheers. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I reported this problem to FitbitSupport on Twitter on 24 Aug already. I have been very patient about it but slowly getting irritated buy the fact that I am not even getting a timeline as to when this will be fixed. It is really annoying as I cannot rollback the software update to at the state when it used to work. 😞

Best Answer

Did you try what I did?

I uninstalled the app, turned off my phone and restarted it, then installed the app again and it all works fine now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes and it did not work for me

Best Answer