Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

There are many of us in the Fitbit Community trying to help.. Can we have the following when you post.. There has to be a common link somewhere and this must help the moderators and engineers..

• Mobile phone brand
  • Android Version
  • The last App you loaded..
  • The Fitbit your are pairing

I can't help because I'm having no issues now and many of you don't want to hear that.. Each App update gave me progressive success.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

New app works ok, no battery drain and no excessive data usage.

Google Pixel XL 2

Android 8.1.0

Best Answer

2.74.2 installed.

No battery or data issues... because now syncing with my Versa just doesn't work at all.

Multiple soft resets and restarts ineffective  

Fitbit..  you are worthless!!

Best Answer

Exact same problem with my Versa. Wish I hadn’t updated at all

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Sony Xperia phone. Update 2.74.2

Best Answer
0 Votes

New app has been installed for 3 days or so, no issues at all syncing is fine, 2.1mb of data used in 3 days off of Wi-Fi which is most of my day, battery is holding strong. I have the versa with an LG V20.

Best Answer

Where did you find it and what is the version number? Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

-deleted: I'm not sure this was true-

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JaceLightning how do you know that?  I actually don't think that makes sense because it was clear my data had synced to the servers just fine. 

Best Answer
Thank you, I will give that a try.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes it was true

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Troikaflight, have you tried removing the versa tracker from your Fitbit account either via the web interface or the app and then adding it back again? This is what worked for me. (Android 2.74.2, this morning)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, all!

Thanks for updating to the latest Android app version 2.74.2. For those who haven't yet updated, please do so as this version addresses any remaining issues with increased data usage and battery drain. 

I noticed some of you mentioned having issues with syncing after updating to this new version, so I recommend you try our troubleshooting suggestions that can help. If you have tried everything outlined in that article and still have trouble syncing, a factory reset may help and you can set up your watch back to your Fitbit account. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@AlessFitbit wrote:

I noticed some of you mentioned having issues with syncing after updating to this new version, so I recommend you try our troubleshooting suggestions

I've written in https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Mobile-data-usage-increased/m-p/2827634/highlight/true#M... that I installed everything fresh. Your suggestions are never helpful and it seems you only wants to keep us busy. Sorry to say, go and fix your apps and firmware, please.

With this latest beta app, data usage (WLAN and mobile data) went down to something acceptable. ~95 MB WLAN (setup!) and 250kB mobile data during this day. Anyway, 9% phone battery is still too much, compared to my Garmin, Pebble, and others.

Now, those sync issues arose although "permanent connection" "keep-alive widget" "24h sync" are on. Device and phone are connected, and while using the apps and watchface settings there are "no internet connection" or "please connect your Versa" messages. Or on the watch, you get a "set up your app on the phone" (weather), or watchface weather is not updated (DIN Time).

ATM, everything seems to work well. But I lost a lot of trust into this device.

//edit 2018-07-13: Setting on watch "Display Activation manual" (Displayaktivierung) returns to "automatic" by itself (This is maybe because of wrong translation in Fitbit app. "Schnellansicht an/aus" in app seems translated into "Displayaktivierung manuell/automatisch" on watch). In app value for battery "half full", on watch = 71%. App battery usage on phone = 30% 

--
// Fitbit Versa 2, Sense
Android App
Best Answer

@AlessFitbit wrote:

Hey, all!

Thanks for updating to the latest Android app version 2.74.2. For those who haven't yet updated, please do so as this version addresses any remaining issues with increased data usage and battery drain. 

I noticed some of you mentioned having issues with syncing after updating to this new version, so I recommend you try our troubleshooting suggestions that can help. If you have tried everything outlined in that article and still have trouble syncing, a factory reset may help and you can set up your watch back to your Fitbit account. 

Thanks for letting us know about the update @AlessFitbit I have installed the app now and will give you a progress report a little later on how it's tracking. 

Cheers 

Nik

Best Answer
0 Votes

This whole affair is an emberrassament for your company. After unknowingly losing 2GB of my data-volume over the weekend I today spent several hours to fix the syncing problems of my fitbit versa that coincidentally appeared after the messianic update was installed. What followed were several reboots of phone and watch, several reinstalls of the app, finally as a last resort I factory-reset the watch.

Then I spent 2 hours re-activating the poor thing. And this is where the madness began: I had to reinstall the app several times as it froze in the "select your device" dialogue. This is something that has nothing to do with the device itself or my smartphone. This is just miserable app quality. It took 10 tries and 5 reinstalls to set things straight. After which I lost all data that was recorded after noon, although the app had happily shown the progress before the reset (whilst simultaneously whining about not being able to sync with the watch).

My theory is: The advice to reset the watch has lead everyone (as I assume there are many people with syncing problems) to do as told and the activation-servers broke down. This is just a theory but I've no other explanation why a simple webview should die before any meaningful interaction took place.

Seriously, I love this watch, it fits my requirements regarding battery life, size and functionality better than any other device on the market. But the software, especially the app, is a disgrace!

Best Answer

Yesterday morning,  my versa was working back to normal. Then my app updated, and I could not sync my versa to my galaxy s8. I tried all the troubleshooting tips, and after I did the factory reset I cannot even set up my device. This is frustrating.  So not only did I use all my mobile data last week, I cannot even use my device now at all.  Very frustrated 

Best Answer
0 Votes

After a day with the latest version (2.74.2) I think I can safely report its no longer using extra data. I am lucky that I caught it soon, and I have the data to spare. Hate to see all the others that felt this issue financially. I still feel if possible the version should have been rolled back rather than having to wait for a fix. I did that myself manually until there was a new version, but not everyone would have the knowledge to be able to do that.

Best Answer

Although the Fitbit App for Android appears to be working now, both my wife and I were charged for all the data used by our cellular provider.

We both use Project Fi, and the cost is $10 per Gig. We estimate we used between 1 and 2 Gigs due to your app's issues.

What is the plan to compensate us for this data charge?

And how can we know what data was sent to Fitbit during this time?

Best Answer
I just upgraded to the latest version of the app, and totally factory reset
my versa because it's battery was also impacted (I get about 8hrs out if a
charge now where as I was getting 3.5 days)

No difference. This is a fkn joke Fitbit. Seriously!!
Best Answer