Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

I sticking with 2.72 for a while.  Preferably until a non "temporary" release is available.  I will say I *love* my Versa and I've been a fitbit user for a long time.  My versa is working just fine on 2.72.  I have a Samsung S7, so my battery life is a bit wimpy to start since it's over 2 years old.  However, with 2.73 it was HOT and draining fast.  2.72 seems to have resolved that issue for me for the time being.  I'm going to sit tight here and wait to see what happens.  I do think Fitbit should find a way to have all android users be aware of this issue.  There are too many people with limited data plans and this is costing them money!

Best Answer

@BlizzkeThanks for the reply.. Sometimes we have to go slightly off topic because I find it difficult to place some topics.. Is it a Fitbit, is it Dashboard or is it Android..

I have been graciously pinged for cross posting recently because I find some Fitbitters appear not to search the Forums..

This topic is typical.. We know it's not the Versa or the Ionic but the App so technically we need to be in the Android Forum..  But then again the Battery and data issue is scattered around the Forums..

Now that Fitbit have removed their red notice at the top of the Forums who knows.

I'm now waiting for my mobile data graph to go back the the gradient it had in late June.....

Fiotbit usage 4jul18.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

FWIW, I was working with a dev over this past weekend and he was able to provide me with custom apks until the problem was resolved.  I guess I'm pretty lucky to get that level of treatment and it obviously isn't reasonable to expect that for everyone.  My problem ended up being a specific app that fitbit couldn't coexist with (light manager in my case).  It took a few builds, but I can say that my problem was most certainly resolved and I might even be able to argue that it's better than it ever was.  I'm not sure whether the app they pushed to the store includes that fix or not as it's technically a 2.74.1 version that is not the same as what was originally released on the 2nd.

The real point I'm trying to make here is that they do realize this is a serious issue, they have been working weekends to get this resolved, and it does seem to be very specific to certain apps.  While I'm with all of you that this problem should never have happened in the first place if they tested the app properly, I do understand from a software development standpoint that the reason updates happen isn't always up to the developers.  I hope they've learned from their mistakes and that something like this doesn't ever happen again.

Best Answer

Awesome,

My batery is back on normal parameters but the Versa sync is dead in the bushes.

I did everything install/uninstall, restart the phone/watch, bluetooth on/off....you know the drill

It syncs for the initial setup after which the sync fails each and every time.

It's maddening, humiliating and ridiculous. After i am being charged by the network operator for the huge extra charges now i actually cannot use my phone beacuse reasons and crappy programming skills from Fitbit.

Best Answer

Thanks for the downgrade app link! saved my battery without draining or having CPU overload issue! Until then, I will keep using the older version app until they properly solve it. I personally don't see too much difference on what functions you can do between the different version of the app. But I got what I need and cannot appreciate more from everyone!

Best Answer

I feel sure that the version of 2.74.1 on Playstore is not the Beta because this time it has actually fixed both mobile data and battery usage issues.   I just hope it lasts more than 24 hours this time.

With regard to the Devs, yes, they should be congratulated for hopefully finding a permanent fix, but this does not mean that there aren't still legitimate questions that need to be answered about the huge amounts of data this App has consumed over recent weeks.

Transparency is required from Fitbit about exactly what data was uploaded by the App, where it was uploaded to and whom, if anyone, is/was able to access that data?  90% of the 3.05 Gb of my mobile data and Wifi data was uploaded by the App.

Best Answer
I wonder if there is an android issue behind this.. I had another app suddenly start using a ridiculous amount of data and since it was one I didn’t remotely need while on vacation I just deleted it completely.

it was similar in that even w/ background data turned off it was still sucking data..
Best Answer
Are you planning to try a different brand?  I returned mine and uninstalled as well.  It is like I have a new phone battery wise.  I'm a bit gunshy about another.

Kim

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​
Best Answer

Yes mine has gone back now thankyou.

Additionally I have been blocking with Datally as advised I'm the prior posts.

Best Answer

When I go into the google play store, it still says the latest version is the bad one. I'm not seeing the new release.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated. Still getting warnings on phone of very high battery and data use. Will need to uninstall and return versa SE by end of this week if there isn't another solution. Please advise .

Fitbit App 2.74.2 - Versa SE - firmware 32.32.10.15
LG G6 - Android 8.0.0 - Kernel 3.18.71
Best Answer

I too am having the same issues. High battery  and data usage. I'm hoping that this gets resolved soon. Im looking forward to the next update so thought I would subscribe to this thread.

I have the Fitbit Ionic

- Firmware 27.32.10.20

- Version 2.73 (2193283)

- Software 2.74.1

Keep us posted CMs.

Best Answer

I agree with Marc_PL's comments. More is owed to the users about what sort of data this was.

I would also say that based on 35+ years in the software business, you need to be a lot more forthcoming about what is being done when a problem like this exists. Problems don't get solved overnight, but most people appreciate it if you tell them what is being done to find a solution.

And, you have significant numbers of people having this problem that can have financial ramifications for them. Possibly safety ramifications as well, if the phone battery dies unexpectedly when they need it. Where is the push notification? You have multiple channels to send notifications to your users, straight to their wrists. You send informational emails. Yet nothing telling people to go look for this update, watch their usage, or disable the app if they are having problems? The fact is I still only know about this issue from a data usage warning I got because of a threshold I previously set, and then went about looking into why.

Best Answer
Thanks. It's working now
Best Answer

I have a FitBit One, and within the last couple of weeks noticed that at random times, it would not be found by my phone, and when I clicked the button on the FitBit, I had to hold it down, after which is showed me the firmware version, meaning it had reset. It had my steps up to the time that it hung, so the only steps I lost were between the hang and the reset.

Yesterday, I noticed that my entire phone hung up, and when I checked the fitbit, it had to be reset. This was prior to the fix that recently released.

Question: Any chance this behavior is related to the bug that caused the high CPU and data usage?  If not, guess my fitbit is going bad.

Thanks!

Bruce

Best Answer

Hi guys... looks like my Fitbit is still using a decent amount of my battery.  Since last full charge, it's used 10% of my battery and I've been on there texting and streaming music.  That seems pretty high, although I can't confirm that it's higher than normal, unfortunately.  

I will say that I'm down to 64% already and I'm normally a lot higher than that this time of day.

I'm running version 2.74.1.

I'm on a Pixel 2 XL running Android 9.  Everything seemed fine up until a few days ago.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Turn on battery optimization for the app. That fixed it for me. 

Best Answer

Hi, everyone!

We're actively monitoring this situation and appreciate your updates on what you're currently experiencing. If you haven't already, please make sure to update to the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1This app version released improvements for this issue. 

Your data and battery usage levels should have decreased with this update. We will continue working on this as a high priority, so your patience is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you all updated!

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
Still getting hi battery usage and data usage. Still have used 800MB of
data since installing the beta version. Today my phone was getting too hot
and battery quickly to 50%. WASN'T getting notifications so rebooted my
Ionic, had to also reboot phone. So maybe firmware is also an issue.
Best Answer

@Marc_PL wrote:

I feel sure that the version of 2.74.1 on Playstore is not the Beta because this time it has actually fixed both mobile data and battery usage issues.   I just hope it lasts more than 24 hours this time.

With regard to the Devs, yes, they should be congratulated for hopefully finding a permanent fix, but this does not mean that there aren't still legitimate questions that need to be answered about the huge amounts of data this App has consumed over recent weeks.

Transparency is required from Fitbit about exactly what data was uploaded by the App, where it was uploaded to and whom, if anyone, is/was able to access that data?  90% of the 3.05 Gb of my mobile data and Wifi data was uploaded by the App.

I agree...I tried the beta and still had some issues, but this latest release to the Play Store sense to have resolved all my issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes