Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638
I agree. There is no reason that this should not have been caught. I work
in the IT world. DevOps exist for a reason. Hey Fitbit Devs, if you are
using agileake sure you have a mandatory rollback process for mistakes like
this. Fitbit owes us some money for blowing through our data plans like
this.

I will wait a few more days before I risk installing the new version.
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner

So you are running the updated Fitbit app (i.e. 2.74.1) and you STILL have the problem with high data use/battery drain?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not using the newly released app yet.  This reply was supposed to go to someone who posted turning on app optimization resolved the problem.  I am going to install it and see how things go.  I am still very dissatisfied with the fact that your devs tanked my data plan for the month.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner

Not my devs lol

I'm just an ordinary user, I'm not an Fitbit employee.

As a matter of fact I have temporarily given up on Fitbit and gone over to Wear OS.

Best Answer

After uninstalling and reinstalling, my data use seems to have gotten better, but my battery is still draining pretty quick.

I agree that Fitbit should have sent out some mass notice to do the app update, rather than leave it to the users to get data limit warnings. They should also compensate the users for the excessive data use.  This is costly for those without unlimited plans. 

Best Answer

That was directed at our common for, not you my friend.  I'm ready to drop this watch as well.

Best Answer

@pmversa

Somehow I think that somewhere in the fine print Fitbit has an out against any financial liability due to problems. 

The contract probably states they are NOT responsible for any such issues and we use their products at our own risk.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner

No problem  😉

I'm a Pebble user that switched to a Fitbit Versa once the Pebble servers shutdown on June 30th. Unfortunately my experience using the Versa has been less than positive. When I discovered that the Fitbit app on my Samsung S7 was burning up my network data limit I knew this was a sign for me to consider other options.

I decided to give Wear OS and the Ticwatch E ($150 USD at the time I bought it) a try and frankly I highly doubt I will return to my Versa. Even when the Versa was working it had limitations (e.g. you can only store one watch face on the Versa, you can only receive notifications from one email client, etc).

P.S.

I prefer a "smartwatch" over a health monitoring watch as my priority.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Too little, too late. Fitbit goes back to the store tomorrow. Fitbit is in
my rearview mirror, I'm too old to put up with this kind of nonsense.
Best Answer

Results are promising now.. The % mobile data usage on my phone has started to drop with App V2.74.1 and the battery life is normal for a 2 year old phone and no heating which stopped when I upgraded to 2.73.

In trying to analyse the many posts in this Forum I cannot put my finger on any one thing.. Many are still having issues and everything is OK for me an a non-listed phone.

App2.74.1 (for 2 days)

Sony Xperia XP

Android 8.0.0

Daily cumulative totals of usage...Data usage 11jul18.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

since the last update, my s8 overheat as **ahem**. battery drain is incredible. And I'm with a ionic, I just uninstalled the app and now everything's fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dear, since the new update used fitbit a lot of energy and the battery of my smartphone is empty quickly

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all, I hope you are doing fine!

I appreciate all the feedback coming from you regarding this issue. As recommended by our friend, please make sure your Fitbit app are updated to correct this issue. You just need to do the following from your phone:

1. Tap the Play Store app.
  2. Tap or click the menu icon in the top left corner.
  3. Tap My apps & games. If the Fitbit app has an update, you’ll see it in the Updates list.
  4. Tap Update.

Keep me posted. Smiley Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Hello all, I hope you are doing fine!

I appreciate all the feedback coming from you regarding this issue. As recommended by our friend, please make sure your Fitbit app are updated to correct this issue. You just need to do the following from your phone:

1. Tap the Play Store app.
  2. Tap or click the menu icon in the top left corner.
  3. Tap My apps & games. If the Fitbit app has an update, you’ll see it in the Updates list.
  4. Tap Update.

If the issue persists, please feel free to provide us with some screenshots.

Keep me posted. Smiley Happy

the last update just made things worse, if you're able to read all of us in the forum. My phone was getting REALLY HOT.
I've managed to install app version 2.69 and now everything is fine for data and battery... except for bad sync most of the time

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been running the 2.74.1 update for a couple of days and my mobile data and battery usage has returned to normal.

However, today I have noticed that the App's battery usage has been stuck on 0% since I charged my phone yesterday evening.  Even data from my phone's battery settings show the Fitbit App on 0%.

Surely this cannot be correct? 

Screenshot_20180711-145907_Settings1.jpg

Update: It would seem that everytime battery usage for the Fitbit App goes above 0% it resets to 0. Shortly after making my original post I noticed battery usage on 1% but it's back to 0% now.  Why would it do that?

Ionic, Samsung Galaxy A5(2017), Android 8

Best Answer
Hello,

We are still waiting to hear re: compensation for the overage charges on
our data plans, what data was uploaded and if there was any
security/privacy breaches due to this issue.

I had the most current updated app and my data usage esp background data
usage along with battery drainage was occurring.

These are serious issues and valid concerns that need to be addressed by
Fitbit asap. If not, Fitbit should anticipate legal action from one, some
or all users effected by these issues.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.
Best Answer

I see that there is just a new update. Let's see if it has now been resolved

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think this is a good point. At least some sort of good will. Lost all of my O2 data.  I'm sure I'm not the only one, who has no data left for the month?

Carrying second sim now.

Best Answer

Hi there. Just some feedback here . I was experiencing the same problems as many users with both battery and data drain. After updating the app to apply the temp fix as per your post of 9 July all seems to be sorted out now. Thanks!

Best Answer
There is no new update in Play Store, what is the fixed version number??
Best Answer
0 Votes