Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

Thanks, I hope this really is the fix! Fitbit should email your users to ensure everyone updates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I checked Google Play here in Canada and there's no update available.

Update the play store is showing the update now.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Just delete the app
Best Answer
0 Votes
It may take a bit when they release for every phone. Mine just came up
Best Answer
0 Votes

@AlessFitbit @EdsonFitbit Except I tested 2.74.1 on the beta channel over the weekend and it didn't work. I provided that feedback on this forum as did other beta testers. I would have done the same through the app, but the Send Log feature was busted.

Best Answer
I tried turning those off but it didn't help. I had to delete the whole
app and now my Versa is being returned.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm thinking that the 2.74.1 that is on the play store is a different build
from the version that was on the beta build. I have been running from full
battery after installing this version clean (uninstalling first) and fitbit
has only used 3% of my battery and it doesn't look like much data either
other than the initial sync from the server after signing in on the new
app.
Best Answer

While this update improved the battery drain issue for me, FitBit remains the highest battery consumer for me with 17% since last full charge with 3 minutes of usage. I have all day sync off and always connected off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I installed 2.74.1 as a beta tester on Saturday. It was a bit harder to tell over the weekend as I am on wifi a lot more often, but the fitbit app has used 100MB of data since yesterday. This still cannot be right. 

The issue with fitbit taking 40%-55% of my battery appears solved though.

Using LG G6 on Android 8.0

Best Answer

Worthless beta version... battery drain still crazy... in fact it won't even sync with my versa now.

Hey Fitbit techs... the issue has to do with syncing.  Even before the beta... the most recent update would result in sync errors all day long.

The latest problem app version is due to sync issues.  The app is constantly attempting, and many times failing... to sync all day long.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anyine else start reading the update in a Professor Farnsworth voice?

Best Answer
Yes just keeps trying to sync

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Before the recent updateBefore the recent update

After the updateAfter the update

After the update I have been getting this error alsoAfter the update I have been getting this error also

My battery is getting absolutely destroyed. And the data rate jump is rediculous! 

Using samsung s7 on android software 8.0.0 and the latest update from fitbit

Best Answer

Battery draining still and problems synching after updating.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The reason I got the ionic was for the oxygen. Waste of money so far. Cant even get the app downloaded. So sad

Sent from my LG V20, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Been there, done that.  Reinstalling app does not help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I updated to App 2.74.1 last night and it's too early to know if the Data issue has been fixed.. I have no overheating or heavy phone battery use issues.. That stopped when I upgraded from 2.73 to 2.74.

This screen shot shows the data problem is there even with my Background data turned off.  The usage is 43% of my total for the billing period.

background 10jul18.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

I finally updated to 2.1 about a week ago. I'm on 27.23.10.20. 

Now it's killing my phone! Android battery usage says 1% per hour on my S7 edge.

I can't receive notifications. I've spent hours going through solutions and nothing works.

The app crashes every time I try to use it randomly. "Fitbit keeps stopping".

The other day I looked and it used almost 500mb of mobile data last month! How?!

I've wasted so much time on this thing lately. I'm fed up with it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @bighugs

Read this first post from @EdsonFitbit about the problems you described. There is an updated app, so you'll want to get it. click to go to the post

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

lollll "GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!"

yet still not a single mention of what Fitbit will be doing to compensate all the data and dollars they've pillaged

Extremely poor

Best Answer
0 Votes