Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage increased - RESOLVED 7/13

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update 7/13/2018: This issue is now resolved, please ensure you are on the latest app. Thanks very much for your reports. I'll be closing this thread for future replies. 

Fitbit Update 07/11/2018: Thanks for your ongoing patience as we worked to resolve this issue. We released an update to the Fitbit app for Android, version 2.74.2, that we believe addresses any remaining concerns related to this issue. Please update the Fitbit app as soon as possible.

In addition, all of your Fitbit data synced and remained secure during the issue and none of your data was sent anywhere else. We take our obligation to safeguard your data very seriously and are sorry for any concern that this error may have caused.

Fitbit Update 07/09/2018:

Great news, everyone! Today we released the Fitbit for Android app version 2.74.1 to all users. This app version released improvements for the issue you are all currently experiencing with an increase in your phone's data usage. Please update the app as soon as possible!

Please let me know how it goes after updating the app. I would like to hear you all confirm that your data/battery usage levels have decreased. 

Thanks for all your help and cooperation! 

Fitbit Update 07/08/2018:

Hi, everyone!

Thanks so much for your reports of this data/battery issue on your Android devices. 

Our team is still actively investigating the cause and we will keep you updated with any new information. We really appreciate your cooperation in the meantime and hope to get this resolved soon. 

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: 

Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
638 REPLIES 638

Had my versa replaced, and just got the new device hooked up to my phone last Sunday. In the last week, it has used 131 MB of data. I am on Project Fi, so I pay for my data usage, and normally only average about .5GB of data per month. I am currently at .96GB used, with a week left.

Not sure what is going on with the App, but this sucks for those of us who pay for their data according to what they actually use. No reason that the fitbit should be draining this much battery and eating away at my data.

Best Answer

Hi - has the update wiped all data also? All of my data, except for today, has been wiped? 

I have restarted my phone, logged out of the app, then uninstalled and reinstalled the app - and this wiped even more data? The display also looks incomplete? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@EdsonFitbit wrote:

Fitbit Update 07/06/2018: Hey everyone -- First off, thank you for all of your reports. We are working to resolve an issue which can cause the Fitbit app for Android to consume a large amount of mobile data. In the meantime, uninstalling and re-installing the Fitbit app may help resolve related loading & crashing issues. Thanks for your patience!

I will make sure to keep everyone updated on this issue when I have something new to share. Thanks for your patience, more updates to come soon.

Fitbit Update 07/05/2018: Community members have reported an increase of mobile data by the Fitbit app on Android devices.

I've made our Android team aware of this and they are currently working on getting this issue resolved. When I hear an update on the status of this issue, I will make sure to let everyone here know what I hear.

Thanks for your reports and continued patience.

Hi - has the update wiped all data also? All of my data, except for today, has been wiped? 

I have restarted my Samsung S8+ logged out of the app, then uninstalled and reinstalled the app - and this wiped even more data? The display also looks incomplete? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks to all who posted here and especially thanks to Fitbit for the alert on this forum. I checked and I have not seen the mega usage of mobile data that some have seen, but The fitbit app has used more data since July 1 than It used in all of June. Based on this information I have turned off background data usage for the app. 

After giving this some thought, I have decided to turn off mobile data on my phone and turn it on only if I am out and need to access mobile data. I have a plan that charges me for each bit of data that I use and I need to be very conservative with data usage. Most of the time I am in WiFi range so this won’t be too bad as a temporary fix for me. I realize that for most people this would not work at all. 

In the meantime I am giving up on having notifications work. I will revisit this in two weeks and hope that by then I will be able to get my Versa to work as an actual smartphone and not just as a pedometer that has a clock. 

Best Answer

I was complaining that suddenly my phone seems to be dying a lot faster, I started taking the charger with me everywhere (yeah, lots of jokes from hubby related to my "brick", but the brick had a pretty great battery life previously). I didn't relate it to the Fitbit app. Then I read this post and looked at the data usage - I have a 4Gb plan monthly and I never go over, so I didn't get any notifications, but I realized this month, 1Gb of that data was consumed by FitBit app, so I am very close to the limit. And this is only recently, as I monitor my usage periodically...

Best Answer

Fitbit Update 7/6/2018: Our Android team has pushed a fix into the beta version of the Fitbit app for this issue. If you'd like to test the fix out in the beta version of the app, do the following:

Instructions for downloading the beta app:
1. Using a Google email address, go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/fitbit-android-sync-beta and join the Android beta group.
2. Once you are a part of the group, using your mobile device, go to https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.fitbit.FitbitMobile 
3. Tap "BECOME A TESTER."  You will receive the message "You are now a tester."
4. You will be directed to the Fitbit app on the Play Store. (Please note that the beta app description and screenshots will be the same as the production app.) Click on Install or Update app. 
5. Open the Fitbit app and log in to your account.  There is no indication that you are using the beta except for the fact that you are able to send logs (Menu>Help>Send Log).

Instructions for feedback:
1. When you run into issues (for example, with sync failure or tracker battery life), send feedback by tapping the menu button on your Android device, then "Help > Send Log."  Please add a line to the email briefly describing your issue.
2. When you want to share feature suggestions or improvements, please post comments to the Fitbit Android Sync Beta group. 
3. Share your device model number if you do not see sync options in the Fitbit App by sending us a log via the app (Menu>Help>Send Log). Please add the following description to the email: "Don't see sync options."

Thanks everyone!
Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

@ErickFitbitThank you for the update and information on the beta version of the App.

I must be mad but I have signed up and am running v.2.74.1.

Best Answer

@Marc_PL You're welcome. I totally understand the frustration and will continue to update this thread with new updates. Let me know if the beta app helps relieve the issue. 

Thanks for giving it a try and I hope to have this fixed soon.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

This has happened on my iPhone 6 as well. I used 2 gb in a few days last month.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So far so good with the beta app. Fitbit hasn't even shown up on my battery starts, but I've been on WiFi. About to head out for a hike, do will give it a good mobile data test.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the update @ErickFitbit. I've got the beta version install, and it appears that my battery is draining really quickly again. Will give it some time before reporting fully, but not looking great at the moment. 

Ionic, Blaze, Charge HR, Flex. Android 7.0 (Samsung Galaxy S8)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you.  Ive had this issue for 3 days now.  My phone gets very hot and system device notification that fitbit is draining battery.  Ice always had Bluetooth inn and always connected so i get all notifications never an issue. Glad I'm not the only one was worried..

Look forward to the fix

Best Answer

Battery being drained on my Samsung Galaxy S8.  Constant warnings about the Fitbit app.

Best Answer

Ps my phone is s7 edge

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, the beta version hasn't improved things for me. Prior to the recent issues, Fitbit would use between 5 and 10mb of data a day. Its just used 7.62mb in the last 30 minutes. I'm going to uninstall again, as my battery is fast draining as well again. Screenshot_20180706-224353_Settings.jpg

Ionic, Blaze, Charge HR, Flex. Android 7.0 (Samsung Galaxy S8)
Best Answer

My Fitbit app on my iPhone hasn't synced my versa since June 24th, 2018. I've restarted my watch, I also deleted and re downloaded the app, I also forgot the device and it found my Versa but it has been stuck on Connecting to Tracker.

Best Answer

I got the same problem that fitbit app used over 800 MB. It still used mobile data even I switched off background data and logged out. It is a serious problem.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy C7 Pro

Fitbit app 2.73

Charge2 and Versa

Best Answer
0 Votes

The beta version of the app seems to fix the data and battery issues.  No problems so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also having the issue. As suggested, I have uninstalled the app but am now unable to redownload. The app has also been overheating my phone. I had it sitting next to my air conditioning vent while charging and still got the phone overheating warning simultaneous to the fitbit is overloading the CPU warning others have mentioned. I'm running a samsung s8 with the latest updates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would like to point out that having a beta branch whose change log consists only of 

"Bug fixes and performance improvements" 

Is in no way helpful to knowing what has actually changed. What bugs have been fixed, and in what situations a user should expect improved performance. 

If beta testers are not told what is changed, they cannot test those changes, and report back on if the issue is fixed or not. 

a little transparency goes a long way towards building community trust and improving user feedback and bug reports.  You have a small army of people ready and willing to test any fixes you might produce, but then don't tell them what you've fixed so they can test it...

Best Answer