Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet Connection error message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'm getting a brand new error, for the past couple of days. Each morning, my Fitbit Charge 3 connects to my Samsung phone but the Fitbit app won't connect to the Internet or sync until after I've restarted my phone. I get a message in the top middle of the Fitbit Android app that says "No Internet Connection". Toggling WiFi, Bluetooth and mobile networks does nothing. But a full restart does the trick and once restarted, I'm pretty good for the rest of the day.

Not a big deal or a game changer, but I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing!

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer
54 REPLIES 54

I am NOT using a VPN and have the same problem.

But I am using an ad-blocker (DNS66, fairly similar to Blokada)

If Fixbit would share the domain names of their advertising companies (that the app is using) then it would make life a lot simpler for us customers.

It will be one or more of these advertising domains:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts

as per my question here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/quot-No-Internet-Connection-quot-in-App-What-domains-bes...

Best Answer

Yeah this would help for us folks that have firewalls that block domains (harmful ones).

We just need to know which names to whitelist for syncing!

Thanks Fitbit support!

Best Answer

The tunneling function of my VPN is working. I have not had a problem with my fitbit app complaining about syncing. I can now use the app and have it use my phones location function to track my walks and biking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having the exact same problem. I use Norton VPN and when I turn it off poof! the problem disappears. However I am extremely uncomfortable not using VPN when I am  out and about!

Best Answer
0 Votes
  • Found a minor work around.  Went to Settings, Disconnect VPN, then refresh the Fitbit app. Was able to Add device, Sync and complete Firmware update.  If any interruption, the VPN will reconnect, and the 'No Internet Connection' will reappear on the app again.
Best Answer
0 Votes

hello, this appears to be an issue with ads and DNS resolution. I also use an ad blocking DNS server at home even with ad blocking disabled it still failed.... I changed the phone to use "private DNS" in the phone connection settings and it cleared the issue immediately. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also use a DNS level ad blocker, Pihole. With a great reluctance, I whitelisted "www.google-analytics.com" and after that the app started working. I don't like this but I guess my soul was already sold to Google when I bought my Sense. 😞

Best Answer

Tried setting up my daughters phone to her new Fitbit watch.  Phone had 'FamilyZone' which is a child safety app.  I had to turn that off to sync.  Essentially, a VPN type of access but this has now left the phone vulnerable.  Not a great design by FitBit!

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is my Fitbit Mobile Android app doing that an adblocker or VPN wants to prevent.

This is fishy on Fitbit's part. 

Can Fitbit give me one hostname to whitelist? 

I'm not going to turn off Internet protections just for Fitbit.

Rather, I'll look for a competing product that works with home networks better than Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

At the end of Feb I upgraded my phone from a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to a Galaxy S21 Ultra running Android 11. I have not seen this issue occur since I upgraded. Just wanted to pass that along to those following this issue. 

Best Answer

I have an S8 and am betting upgrading would eliminate a lot of my app and internet issues!! Did it cost a lot to upgrade?

Best Answer
The cost was for the new phone, not the software. How much depends on the
deal you get from your cell phone company. Mine was not cheap but it had
been years so I splurged a little. Glad I did. The S21 Ultra is a really
nice phone. The excruciating issues I had with the S7 Edge are just gone.
Best Answer
0 Votes
The internet connection through the phone network is fine. My home wireless
is not, probably because I run https://pi-hole.net/. It sends spam and ad
sites into a blackhole. It probably bans the site collecting biometrics
from the fitbit. If fitbit would tell me the hostname for that site, I'd
add it to my whitelist. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find that
information.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Pihole user here also. @ahof___ is right. The Fitbit app doesn't like the domain "www.google-analytics.com" being blocked. If you whitelist this doman the error goes away.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes