Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification issues after updating to Android 10

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 1/15/2020

Hello, Android users!

We've been seeing a lot of you that recently have upgraded to Android OS 10 report that you're now having difficulty receiving notifications to your Fitbit watches. 

I've merged many posts together and we've escalated the issue to our developers to investigate.

Thanks for stopping by the Community to post and let us know about this issue. Subscribe to the thread so you can see any updates after we receive more information. We appreciate your patience! 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone.

I appreciate the time taken in trying the troubleshooting steps suggested in this thread, as well for sharing your feedback about this situation.

If you continue having issues to receive notifications and your phone was updated to Android 10, please make sure to try the following instructions in the given order:

1. Exhaust the troubleshooting steps described in this help article.
  2. Uninstall then reinstall the Fitbit app.
  3. Perform a soft reset of your phone.

I have closed this thread to further comments to help keep the community organized but if you need to report a new issue or need additional assistance, please open a new topic.

Thanks again for all your feedback and contributions on this thread.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
667 REPLIES 667

I updated my Google Pixel 2 to the Android 10 OS I haven't received any texts or phone calls. I've tried resetting multiple times-bluetooth and settings. Does my Alta not support notifications anymore?

Best Answer

Hi @Bmckinzie, welcome to the Community Forums!

First, I'd like to appreciate your effort and patience troubleshooting this situation prior to posting. When was the first time you experienced this with your Google Pixel 2? If you haven't already done so, I recommend you to check: How do I get notifications from my phone on my Fitbit device? to see that all the necessary requirements to receive notifications on your Alta are correctly configured. After verifying this, please try the troubleshooting steps that are specified on: My Fitbit device isn't receiving notifications from my phone and let me know how it goes. 

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nothing works, not even the test call. 

Best Answer

Since updating my Pixel (gen 1) to Android 10, I've noticed several problems with notifications on my Fitbit Versa:

1. Not getting any email notifications
  2. Text notifications are spotty
  3. Other apps also not doing notifications
  4. Phone calls seem to still be working properly

Additionally, I often have problems with "Finding Device" spinning forever.

I've rebooted my Fitbit (Versa), rebooted the phone, cleared the cache, etc.

Not. Working. Properly.

Please advise on when an updated app will fix these problems.

Best Answer

I've had the Alta for about a year (gave up on the Flex due to lousy battery and sync performance -- and I need a very small faceplate due to a small wrist). 

The Alta has actually been working quite well for me. It *generally* doesn't have a problem syncing (occasionally it does, but it's easy enough to fix by just closing the app, restarting Bluetooth, and restarting the app). Until my Google Pixel 3 phone updated to the current version of the Android OS. Yup, my phone running the latest version of the OS no longer receives notifications. Nothing. Diddly. 

Yes, I've restarted the phone. Yes, I have the current version of the app (3.6). Yes, I've restarted everything. A million times. Yes, I've checked and everything is set as expected (notifications are enabled where appropriate, Bluetooth is enabled, yada yada yada). This is an incompatibility with the OS.

Is Fitbit planning to fix this issue? Or are those of us on the cutting edge of the new OS expected to just hang out here without notifications? Or, am I just screwed because I have an older (no longer supported) Fitbit? Or will I have the same issue with ANY Fitbit device?

Can someone please advise?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Best Answer

Hello @JoeActor, it's nice to see you again participating here in the Community Forums!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and for the details that were shared in your post. To better assist you with this situation, can you please let me know when was the first time you experienced this? Regarding the notifications concern I recommend you to check: How do I get notifications from my phone on my Fitbit device? to see that all the necessary requirements to receive notifications on your Versa are correctly configured.

After verifying this, please try the troubleshooting steps that are specified on: My Fitbit device isn't receiving notifications from my phone and let me know how it goes.

Regarding the syncing concern, please check how the syncing procedure works here and see if there's a missing requirement on your Pixel that's preventing the syncing procedure to be smoothly completed after the Android version was updated. Also, you can move forward to the troubleshooting steps that are specified on: Why won't my Fitbit device sync?.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm well versed with all the troubleshooting steps. 

If I restart my phone, restart the fitbit, kill the fitbit app, clear the cache, turn bluetooth off/on, etc... the notifications will work properly for a while. Then they stop for no apparent reason.

It's really not functioning properly if I have to keep resetting my phone, the app, bluetooth or the fitbit.

This has been a problem for quite a while, but seems to be worse since installing Android 10.

Spotty synching is the norm for me.

(and I have a supported device - Pixel, latest app, and all updates installed)

Best Answer

I'm having the same exact problem.

Best Answer

Same here

Best Answer

Hello @sue_sd, thanks for your post! It's nice to see you again participating here in the Community Forums. My apologies for the delay in responding your post.

I appreciate all the information and details that were shared in your post regarding the difficulties experienced with the notifications on your Alta device, thanks for troubleshooting this situation prior to posting too. To better assist you with this situation, can you please let me know when was the first time you experienced this?

If you haven't already done so, I recommend you to check: How do I get notifications from my phone on my Fitbit device? to see that all the necessary requirements to receive notifications on your Alta are correctly configured. I suggest you to re-setup the notifications feature on your device too. 

After verifying the above, please try the troubleshooting steps that are specified on: My Fitbit device isn't receiving notifications from my phone and let me know how it goes.

Keep me posted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply but, as I stated, notifications worked fine BEFORE the OS update to version 10, and then they stopped working after that. I was an early updater (the first week of September). I noticed I wasn't getting text notifications about a week later. I started trying to resolve the issue intermittently by checking and rechecking all settings. I think I'm getting call notifications now, but text notifications are not coming through.

As I stated in my post, I have checked *and* tested EVERYTHING. I've reset my device. I have the current app. All settings are appropriate. The only setting I will not enable is "always connected" because it drains the battery on my phone. Exponentially. Just. Won't. Do it. Period. (There is no way an app should drain the battery like that, so sorry, won't do it. I did test it once, and it didn't matter, btw.) 

Text message notifications are not working. I believe this is an incompatibility with the OS. Can you please check with the developers and find out if they plan to fix this issue, and when? (I work in software, this was a major update to the Android OS, I know this is a bug with the device and/or app.)  Thank you.

Best Answer

I am having a simial issue.  I am getting notifications for everything except text messages.  I have a Pixel 3XL and am also running Android 10 on it.  I get notification for all apps except the Messages App.  Don't the restarts and re-sync, but no matter what I do I can not get texts to go to my Fitbit Versa.  I have even changed the default text app in Fitbit to something else and manually added the Messages app to receive notifications.

Best Answer

I have the same issues but with an HR charge 2.

This is a gross issue impacting a ton of users on Android 10.

This must be prioritized immediately. The lack of support for such a large userbase is appalling. 

Best Answer

My Versa also stopped receiving notifications for texts, emails and Facebook posts. I've done all the troubleshooting tips and still nothing. Spent over and hour talking to Fitbit with limited answers. Seems lots of people are having an issue but Fitbit doesn't seem to be acknowledging it or communicating what they are doing to fix anything. Very disappointing 

Best Answer

Still having this issue. Still no solution...

Best Answer
0 Votes

So after posting this I remove the App from my phone and then reinstalled it.  Its seems to be sending me text alerts again, so I'll give it a few days and see how it goes, I think it took a few days after the upgrade to 10 for it to stop working.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply and update @Bmckinzie, sorry for the delay in responding.

Thank you for taking into consideration the troubleshooting steps that were shared on my previous post. To better assist you with this, can you please send me a screenshot of the notifications settings from the messages app on your Google Pixel 2? I'll verify that all the settings are correctly configured.

Looking forward ot your reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, that lasted for a couple of days, but now I'm once again not getting anything syncing to my Fitbit.  Just went in the app and it hadn't synced in almost 36 hours even though its set to sync all day.

This is very frustrating that my Fitbit is no longer working as it should.  Please look into these issues with Android 10.

Best Answer

@RicardoFitbit -- do our concerns get logged with Fitbit support? Are troubletickets or bug tickets or eTrack or Jira issues (or whatever ticketing system you use) logged to track these?

This is an obvious issue and all we are getting are palliative responses that (obviously) do not work. We all have done everything except revert back to the previous version of Android OS (and I'm sorry, but that is not an option). We have ALL done everything we are supposed to do on our end. Therefore, it's your issue.

I have not seen or heard a single response that says Fitbit is going to take responsibility for this issue. That Fitbit will look into the issue and respond. 

Can you please advise? 

Best Answer