Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications do not work on Android Oreo

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've been testing the Call/text/app notifications feature on my Fitbit Blaze and I've noticed that this just simply does not work for Android Oreo (8.0.0) anymore. A bunch of people who use my Android app that enhances notifications for Fitbit also noted that notifications no longer work on their newly updated Android 8.0 phones.

It appears that the Fitbit app is not properly compatible with Android Oreo. This is unacceptable as Google released the developer pre-release SDK for a while now so that developers can update their apps. Please fix this as soon as possible as Google Nexus and Pixel phone are soon going to get Android Oreo (8.0). Some, like me, are already on it and for now we have a broken notification feature!

Best Answer
76 REPLIES 76

Hello, Oreo users! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Sorry to hear you're all having difficulty receiving Notifications with the new Android 8.0 Oreo update. I will escalate this to our team so they can take a look at what is happening. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I, too, no longer have notifications on Android Oreo.  When I go into the app to check the notification settings, I get this screen:

Screenshot_20170914-223609.png

When I tap "Enable Notifications" it takes me to a screen showing that notification access is already turned on for Fitbit:

Screenshot_20170914-223643.png

Which makes sense because notifications were working before the update.  But the Fitbit app continues to think it does not have access and keeps showing the first image about enabling notifications.  Hope this helps!

Best Answer

I am getting the same on a Pixel XL with the latest (stock) September 8.0.0 Oreo update and version 2.57.1 of the Fitbit app. It seems like 2.57 version did not have this issue, but just that the notifications did not work. 2.57.1 now won't even detect that it has the correct permissions already.

Best Answer

I am having the same issue as the screenshot posted above. I have tried turning off the app permission via device settings directly and re-enabling through the Fitbit app and it still won't detect the setting correctly.

Best Answer

It's rather about the Fitbit app.

I am running S5 with Marshmallow (6.01) and Blaze for more than a year now and after Fitbit app upgrade to 2.58 - notifications stopped working (after several tries I once recieved test notification from Fitbit App itself, but any other notifications don't work at all (Calls, Messages, ...).

Time to switch the phone and replace Blaze with something more professional - it is 3rd time that I trusted Fitbit (1. Arm issues with Charge, 2. Broken band on Surge. 3 App issues ) no more Fitbit for me ($1000 in total would allow me to buy one proffesional smartwatch or tracker). 

Best Answer

I updated my Pixel XL to 8.0 on the afternoon of 9/10. Since then I have tracked 5 Bike rides while connected from my Blaze and while I have GPS route information showing on the Exercise tracking, the distance no longer works. For example a 43 minute ride today covering an estimated 8+ miles, shows a distance of 52 feet, and a 1 hour 6 minute ride yesterday that covers estimated 11+ miles shows a distance of 0.13 miles. The activity tracking on my account shows the deficiency for your review if necessary.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Add my wife and I, too.

We just bought Note 8's, and neither my Alta not her Charge2 HR will do notifications. 

Please remedy soon!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had the issues earlier in the week, but notifications are now starting to
work. Pixel XL on Oreo/charge2
--

Ryan
Best Answer
0 Votes
My notifications are still not working
Best Answer
0 Votes

@urbanryno What do you see when you go into the notifications settings in the app (the place where you can pick which apps you receive notifications for)?  Still not working for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

hello.  I have the following in my app:
calls : on

text messages : on and i chose messenger as the default app

calendar events: on and set to calendar app

advanced:

widget off

encryption off

bluetooth on

Best Answer
0 Votes
The Fitbit app is identified as receiving notifications in the
Notifications Setting and the Fitbit App Setting.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have no idea what started making mine work, but I did do a phone restart
and I cleared app cache. Who know 😉
--

Ryan
Best Answer

@urbanryno Thanks for the reply!  So you have Oreo on your Pixel XL and you can get to the notifications settings screen?  Interesting.  I can't even get that far because the app says it doesn't have notification access (although it does).  What version of the app do you have installed?  Also, do you have the September security patch for Oreo yet?  Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have Oreo on my Pixel XL. Notifications weren't working for about 5 days, and I applied the September patch some time in the middle. I had your same problem of it not recognizing that it had permissions but then one day it randomly started working and I checked to see if the app updated and it hadn't. Currently on Fitbit 2.57.1, Oreo 8.0.0 with build number OPR1.170623.026. Some time in the middle of the 5 days I went into developer settings and set Bluetooth AVRCP Version to 1.6, fairly certain it was coincidence that my notifications worked. Clearing app data/reinstalling seemed to have no effect. Restarted a few times as well.

Best Answer

@lostincode Thanks for the info!  I have the same versions as you on everything, however, I had not tried changing AVRCP to 1.6.  How has that been working out for you?  Any incompatibilities?  From what I understand, 1.6 is supposed to be backward compatible, but knowing how flakey Bluetooth is on Android, I was afraid to mess with it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Finally today my notifications have started working!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Also couldn't load notifications on pixel with Oreo. Clear app data and cache and restarted my phone. On loading the Fitbit app I got a message about location services needing to be enabled. Enabled both options and notifications page loaded fine...seems to be working now. 

Best Answer
Still not working, when will this be fixed? Google Pixel XL Oreo
Best Answer
0 Votes

yup, i have the latest security patch.. fitbit (charge 2) working fantastically now with all notifications.  could it be bluetooth related for those who still have issues?

Best Answer
0 Votes