Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications do not work on Android Oreo

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've been testing the Call/text/app notifications feature on my Fitbit Blaze and I've noticed that this just simply does not work for Android Oreo (8.0.0) anymore. A bunch of people who use my Android app that enhances notifications for Fitbit also noted that notifications no longer work on their newly updated Android 8.0 phones.

It appears that the Fitbit app is not properly compatible with Android Oreo. This is unacceptable as Google released the developer pre-release SDK for a while now so that developers can update their apps. Please fix this as soon as possible as Google Nexus and Pixel phone are soon going to get Android Oreo (8.0). Some, like me, are already on it and for now we have a broken notification feature!

Best Answer
76 REPLIES 76

My Charge2 is syncing perfectly but I'm still not able to get notifications.  I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I have a Google Pixel.  Maybe it's device related?

Best Answer

I have had android Oreo on a nexus 6p and now on a pixel XL, both have not worked properly with notifications or GPS. 

Was totally fine on 7.1.2.

When doing a run GPS just doesn't work on the watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can confirm that clearing the app cache (I did not clear data, just cache) and restarting your phone restores notifications. I was previously also getting the "enable notifications" screen as mentioned by previous posts. Now notifications work as expected.

Phone: Pixel

Android Version: 8.0.0

Fitbit: Charge 2HR

Fitbit Firmware: 22.22.54.6

Best Answer

Thanks! So far *knock on wood* that seems to have fixed it.

Just hope I don't have to do that every day or something.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Add me to the list of people having issues since going to Android O.  I have a Pixel XL and it seems as if everything is set up correctly. 

One thing I have noticed is that it will occasionally ask me again to set up my 'Trusted Device' as if it's reconnecting a new Bluetooth source.  That seems odd to me and I've never had that issue with either my S8 or my Pixel on Android N.  I've had the Fitbit for a while now and just moved to the Pixel XL.

Hoping to hear a solution to this soon.

Thanks for escalating this, guys!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted the prior message and about 3 hours later, they magically started working.  During the day, I had updated the firmware on the FitBit and synced it several times.  I had also turned on and off the various settings related to texting.  I'm not sure what the magic step was, but I'm happy that it's working again.

Best Answer

Clearing the app cache has worked, and if it magically stops working again, I'll try that again. I wonder when the phone OS is updated, you must clear the app cache for it to keep working properly?

Best Answer

I'm having intermittent success.  Sorry for the 3 messages in as many days.

It wasn't working then it was.  Then, it stopped working again.

Last night, I went into the app and toggled off and on the notifications and it started to work again.

Today, they were working fine.  I had my car bluetooth connected to my phone this morning and it was fine.  It disconnected properly, as well.  I also had Pokemon Go on my phone connected and disconnected several times.  I know that it had disconnected and not impacted my Fitbit at least once.  I cannot be positive that another disconnect didn't cause it, but I'm not sure at all.

Would love some help!

Thanks so much.

Tim

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Pixel XL with Oreo, including the October security update.  

No notifications at all on my Charge 2 since the September update.

I had no trouble at all on prior versions of Android and I've tried everything suggested to fix to no avail.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also cleared app and cache data and then got prompted about location services. I don't get the main enable notifications window anymore when going into notifications, it seems like that is sticking now. Hopefully this will work. Need to test GPS tracking.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Connected GPS seems to be working now. It tracked a run perfectly for me today.

Nexus 5X Android 8.0 Oreo - Fitbit app version 2.59 - Charge 2 firmware version 22.22.55.2

A few weeks ago, I restarted the tracker, removed it from my app and then re-added it. Then I disabled the MobileTrack setting and enabled notifications. This did not solve the problem, but it may be part of the solution. Note: it seemed that no matter what, at this point the app could not recognize that I did in fact enable notifications.

More recently, within Android I went to Settings -> Storage -> Other apps -> Fitbit  and selected "Clear Data" and "Clear Cache". I then launched the Fitbit app and synced the Charge 2. This time it did see that notifications were enabled.

I went for a run today and it tracked perfectly. Hopefully this holds up and if so, this looks like it could be the comprehensive solution to this problem. I hope this helps you all as well. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why do we keep getting the same canned message?  This needs to be fixed.  I have posted on Facebook and Facebook messenger and keep getting the same reply.  Please get this fixed, I would like to return my device.  It use to work, and no longer does as advertised.

@GrocacheAZ wrote:

Notifications and calls not working on Charge 2 he on Oreo 8.0. This is a bug that needs to be fixed

@RobertoME wrote:

Hello @litetaker, good to see  you around one more time and thank you for bring this to my attention.

At the moment I can say we haven't received reports that confirm the Fitbit app is not working with Android 8.0 (Oreo). With the exception of some scenarios that were running a beta version of the new Android OS. In which cases the cause was the Fitbit app does not work with beta versions.

As far I am informed, the official version is rolling out. So I will share the feedback you have brought to my attention with my teammates to keep an eye on this and see how it develops. In the meantime I recommend to review the suggested troubleshooting steps, in case you haven't  for notifications issues: My tracker isn't receiving notifications (Android Fitbit app).

If I got updates I will let you know and for more news stay tuned to the Fitbit Community.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I should get my Pixel 2 XL on Wednesday or Thursday.  Looking forward to seeing if it ships with 8.1, as happened with the Pixel and 7.1 last year, and if the problems go away.  Bluetooth is broken with a LOT of devices, car head units, headphones, etc., on 8.0.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, everyone!

I do have an update for you all and would like for you to adjust the following setting inside the Fitbit app:

1. Go to your Account by tapping the Account icon on the upper-right hand side. 
  2. Tap on your tracker tile. 
  3. Scroll down and select Notifications. 
  4. Toggle 'On' the "Enable Notification Widget". 

By enabling this notification, your tracker should remain connected in the background with your Android device. Please let me know how it goes! I appreciate your cooperation on this. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried that weeks ago and just tried it again. It has no effect whatsoever.  No notifications at all for anything, calls, texts or calendar. It’s to the point that I’m considering selling my Fitbit.  It no longer serves its purpose.   If this doesn’t work with my Pixel 2, I’m moving on to another fitness tracking solution. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll try that. 

It did work fine for a bit after I cleared the cache, but then recently it occasionally forgets that I'm logged into the device and if I try to go on a run or walk with GPS (phone on my person), the Fitbit it scroll something about checking the Fitbit App because I think it can't connect to it or some other issue. So maybe its just occasionally loosing connection even though its right next to it?

Anyway, I'll try the "enable notification widget" and see if that works more reliably. Hope it doesn't suck the battery down more tho.....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Didn't work for me, then I rebooted my phone and it worked for a couple of tries, then stopped working again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What didn't work? Lots of things have been discussed in this thread.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Didn't work for me either.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Text and call notifications

@sweetcuppncakes wrote:

What didn't work? Lots of things have been discussed in this thread.

Best Answer
0 Votes