Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications do not work on Android Oreo

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've been testing the Call/text/app notifications feature on my Fitbit Blaze and I've noticed that this just simply does not work for Android Oreo (8.0.0) anymore. A bunch of people who use my Android app that enhances notifications for Fitbit also noted that notifications no longer work on their newly updated Android 8.0 phones.

It appears that the Fitbit app is not properly compatible with Android Oreo. This is unacceptable as Google released the developer pre-release SDK for a while now so that developers can update their apps. Please fix this as soon as possible as Google Nexus and Pixel phone are soon going to get Android Oreo (8.0). Some, like me, are already on it and for now we have a broken notification feature!

Best Answer
76 REPLIES 76

@GrocacheAZ wrote:

Text and call notifications

@sweetcuppncakes wrote:

What didn't work? Lots of things have been discussed in this thread.

Sorry, I meant which fixes did you try? Have you tried clearing app data and cache in Android?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes.  It worked perfectly before the Oreo update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GeorgiDi wrote:

I can confirm that clearing the app cache (I did not clear data, just cache) and restarting your phone restores notifications. I was previously also getting the "enable notifications" screen as mentioned by previous posts. Now notifications work as expected.

Phone: Pixel

Android Version: 8.0.0

Fitbit: Charge 2HR

Fitbit Firmware: 22.22.54.6

It worked for me too!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't use notifications as I found that my phone was easier and faster to read. However I did enable them for my Blaze at the suggestion of @AlessFitbit, on the Oreo GPS thread, to enable the Notification Widget. I came to this thread when I realized that the widget kept disappearing. The thread hasn't helped much.

My Nexus 5X was recently upgraded to Oreo and the next day to Fitbit 2.60. And then the following day I went for a hike and lost GPS connection in less than 100 steps. That had been the first issue with Oreo that I had seen. Reading this thread I realized that with Oreo, my apps have been disappearing from the draw faster and widgets have been closing within a few hours of not using the app that started them. I thought it was a benefit as I no longer needed to close them manually to reduce clutter.

I now wonder if a change in Oreo is causing the intermittent notification issue for some users, or if the other apps are having issues with Oreo after I am done with them.

The upgrade to Oreo is so far much better than the upgrade to Marshmallow was. Even the hardware, including the touch screen, became issues. Fitbit is my most used app and is so far the only one with actual issues.

The last 3 days I have seen a lot of small issues with the Fitbit app. Most occurred once or twice and were quick to fix. A few more common ones have quick work arounds. The only one that is not currently workable for me is the GPS issue, and the sub issue of the notification widget that it apparently needs.

Until I see a fix, most likely an update to Oreo and/or Fitbit, I will keep doing different things to make the GPS work. (And following threads like this one.)

Have a Terrific day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Roberto, by any chance have you heard of any updates? Thank you, Annie

Best Answer
0 Votes

The wait is way to long.  I'm wearing my Garmin until they can figure this out.  Giving up.  Keep getting the same canned message everytime I ask for a update.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my FitBit for xmas lat year, now I have updated to OREO and the notifications have quit.

I have bragged to all my friends on how nice it is to get my phone call notifications and texts to my fitbit and now i don't I will be telling everyone that this is no longer the case and to consider another brand for this xmas gifting.

This has been going on too long I am losing confidence that Fitbit is not a solution and their customer commitment is questionable.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've been able to get it to work in the past, you have to keep shutting the
watch off and your phone off to reset things.
However, its now very spotty if I can get it to work at all. Right now the
notifications work, but not the tracker. I can't get the tracker to come
back.
😞
Best Answer

Looks like people have been complaining of this issue for months. I too can't get calls, or any notifications on my fitbit since I switched to the Plex. It really reduces the value of the fitbit for me.

I have the fitbit app version 2.61.1 and am running Android 8.0.0.

Any updates on when this issue will be resolved?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@tektoo wrote:

@GeorgiDi wrote:

I can confirm that clearing the app cache (I did not clear data, just cache) and restarting your phone restores notifications. I was previously also getting the "enable notifications" screen as mentioned by previous posts. Now notifications work as expected.

Phone: Pixel

Android Version: 8.0.0

Fitbit: Charge 2HR

Fitbit Firmware: 22.22.54.6

It worked for me too!!!!

Me too. Had this issue since my Oneplus 3T got upgraded to Oreo and could not get past the Enable Notifications screen. Now they are back and working with my Blaze. Thank you 👍

Best Answer
0 Votes
Let us know if that continues to work. It worked at first for me, but now
about every week or two it "forgets" and I have to restart both the phone
and the watch in the hopes that it will continue. Sometimes the
notifications do, but not the tracker. Then all of a sudden the tracker
will start working again, then maybe a week later stop for no apparent
reason. My guess is Oreo made the Fitbit software very unstable or
something like that to wear it works seemingly randomly.

Hope it continues to work for you flawlessly.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, everyone! It sounds like many of you have gotten your Notifications back by clearing your cache for the Fitbit app. I suggest giving that a try if you haven't already! I'll be around if there are any questions. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
I understand your frustration and this is an Oreo problem not a Fitbit
problem.

Since its release in August, Oreo has been horrible with Bluetooth. Tons of
devices, including other fitness trackers, smart watches, headphones,
speakers and a huge amount of car audio systems have had difficulties
connecting, syncing or working with Oreo.

Google has slowly been fixing the problems with updates and workarounds and
people are still having problems.

I'm just to the point with my pixel 2 XL on the November update where are
just about everything is working, though my car's bluetooth still won't
activate the Google Assistant.

There's really nothing that device makers can do. It's up to Google to fix
it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a little late to this party, but I just got a Pixel 2 XL with Oreo (8.1). I was not receiving any text notifications either. I tried clearing the cache and restarting the phone, but that didn't work. Then I toggled the SMS permission off and then on in both the app and the phone, and all of a sudden the notifications came back to life. I don't know if it fixed it but it seems to be working now.

Best Answer

Hi. I have run into this problem as well with Android 8/Oreo. I have followed a lot of the suggestions (clearing cache, restarting android, restarting the fitbit blaze, turning on and off blue tooth, etc) and some of them work for a while and then it stops again. I followed the instructions to disable battery optimization of bluetooth in Android settings and I have been getting notifications for several days now. Usually it would have stopped working by now. I thought I'd share and if anyone is still having troubles, I hope this helps.

https://www.theandroidsoul.com/fix-android-oreo-bluetooth-issues/#jump-disable-battery-optimization

1. Open device Settings and go to Battery.
  2. Tap the 3-dot menu present at the top right corner and select “Battery Optimization”.
  3. Turn off Battery Optimization for “Bluetooth MIDI service” and the apps that you use with Bluetooth such as Play Music, Phone etc.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had zero issues in regards to receiving notifications with 8.0.  honestly I thought they improved...  Did your device go off line?  My said my heart beat wasn't detectable during sleep (scary) but I hooked it up to the charger, as it charged he'd the power button like 4 second, Fitbit logo re appears and your good as new.

Also at the Google play store you can find for free at app called FIT NOTIFICATIONS.  It gives more options of what notifications are recieved, and to they go through really well.

Last... Have you ever done a "clear case" from the recovery mode screen?  You can clear cashed data so many ways, but this is the only way to clear junk trapped on your WiFi and Bluetooth.  You'd be surprised of the instant notice in performance over cleaned.  Example... On Google maps my GPS dot was directly over my house.  If I typed "current location" at the top of the screen, instantly the screen slides 5 miles to the left with a red arrow of my location... Leaving my blue GPS dot at my house.  Anyway, my phone was signal would get stuck at the cell tower that was there....  After I googled how to clear cashed data in recovery mode my blue dot and current location match.  WiFi and Bluetooth cleared off a year's worth of crap!

Think outside the box, don't blame Oreo so quick, We need to be accountable that we as humans place blame by default when we don't stop to think about the possibility of there being info that we didn't know about, so we assume we have the answer.  Try those steps, you have nothing to lose. Just some knowledge to learn. 😁

Best Answer

Hi, Oreo users! I have some exciting updates for you. Thanks for your patience while our team investigated these changes and made improvements for Notifications on the Oreo (8.0) OS. If you haven't already, please update the app to version: 2.65.1. This update contains the necessary changes to continuously receive your notifications. 

Please check out this help article for more information. If there are any new issues that come up, please report them through a new discussion. I am closing this thread to prevent duplicate topics. Thanks again for your cooperation! See you all around the boards. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer