Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers using Fitbit Profiles

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit needs to do something to get rid of all the scammers plagueing the app. Their profiles are pretty easy to recognize. 

1 recently joined, usually with no personal information or posts

2 they join lots of groups

3 they send out dozens of friend requests to women

Seems to me it would be fairly easy for Fitbit to develop a routine to recognize these creeps and block them. It’s really ruining the community for a lot of women. 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
81 REPLIES 81

I am glad to see that this might get taken care of. I do not accept any friend requests from men at all. Which is sad because I think there are plenty out there that are legit and want to encourage others or be encouraged. Thanks to all who are speaking up!

Best Answer
Sad to say, I don’t accept any requests from men either. I agree. These people are spoiling it for many of us who want to use Fitbit to improve our health.

Carolyn

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hello everyone!

We would really appreciate if you all could get in touch with our support team and share some information about the fake or scam accounts that are adding you all. You can see the different methods to reach our support team by clicking here.

Thanks for bringing all of this up. Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
The only options I see are Twitter, phone, or live chat. Not good options for me.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Just return the email to Lanzo. He has a personal address on your email. I sent a detailed account of what happened to me.

Carolyn Anderson

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I posted a few screenshots of my scammers on the twitter link. They let me know they got them. I think there’s really nothing to do but not friend suspicious ones. I just got a request from one that is in every group there is and hardly any steps and no posts. Not gonna accept 

Best Answer

I had three new ones today.  All with just joined dates, and all with only women listed as friends.  None had any FitBit activity. 

Best Answer

Meg,

Did you see my post on the scammers page?  I posted pictures of where to find Lanuzo. 

Best Answer
I saw it. Thanks.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I figured from day 1 they were scammers. I've never accepted any. I'm sure there is nothing that can be done. They will keep creating new accounts. It is just annoying that peoplevdo this!

Sent from my Galaxy Tab A
Best Answer
Unfortunately not everyone is as savvy as you! I bought a Fitbit to help get my blood pressure down while I was under stress. (I’m writing my doctoral dissertation.). It never occurred to me that people would do anything but use the Forums to improve their health. It was several weeks, and four men chasing me before I figured out what was going on. And then it was only because another Forum member posted the link to a YouTube video about Romance Scammers that it occurred to me, what was happening.

I don’t agree there is thing that can be done. I have talked with my friends who have Garmin and Apple fitness trackers, and they do not have this problem. I think it’s because Fitbit does not require registration of the Fitbit tracker to get into the forums.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hey everyone.

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

As I mentioned, be sure to get in touch with our support team if you can. Please do know that this is being looked into as soon as we have any news to share on the matter we'll be sure to let everyone know.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Here’s my latest request. I did a reverse image search and found the real guy on Instagram as capt Scala, lolE5002787-948B-44F9-A5DD-7708352A2AD4.png

A63EEEC2-F591-4BD9-87CB-142872C3E73D.png

Best Answer

You are very clever and tracing the pictures.  I have attached a picture of the requests that I received (just on Monday and Tuesday) Fitbit Scammers.pngso, there are a ton of then.  But I'm not sure these are posting by the man pictured.  A clever person could steal pictures from other sites, and use that. 

Best Answer

It’s easy to search. Just screen shot their photo and do a google reverse image lookup. Some you can find others you can’t 

Best Answer

And this has what to do with the Android app?

Best Answer
0 Votes

How is this an Android problem? Is a problem with Fitbit in general and shouldn't be in the Android forum. I come here looking for information concerning the app, not people complaining about getting friend requests that they can ignore.

Best Answer

Well, you’re a guy so wouldn’t understand how frustrating it is to be hounded every day by friend requests from loser scam artists that should never have access to the community. I didn’t start this discussion on the Android forum but there was a reason, just not sure what it was. We are trying to prevent those scammers from having access. Garmin does not have this problem. If you don’t want to be supportive, you can ignore this like you’re saying we should ignore the requests

Best Answer

If you have a positive comment of where you think this topic would be more appropriate feel free to suggest it. 

Whenever a tech company puts up a forum/community they have a duty to moderate it. In the case of Fitbit, the app community does not seem to be moderated.  I would suggest that you ignore this one thread rather than suggesting that the hundreds of (mostly) women getting new daily requests from scammers just ignore those hundreds and thousands of annoying daily requests. 

Best Answer

@Dervari if you often peruse this forum you may have noticed that the moderators often move threads here to reach a wider audience. I assume that is why these ladies have posted here.

The thread is clearly labelled as to its content which you don't have to read if you have no interest in it.

Personally I am waiting to see if any of the gentlemen out there have experienced similar issues as none of us really know who or maybe what is behind our avatars.

Best Answer