Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers using Fitbit Profiles

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit needs to do something to get rid of all the scammers plagueing the app. Their profiles are pretty easy to recognize. 

1 recently joined, usually with no personal information or posts

2 they join lots of groups

3 they send out dozens of friend requests to women

Seems to me it would be fairly easy for Fitbit to develop a routine to recognize these creeps and block them. It’s really ruining the community for a lot of women. 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Fitbit Update 11/1/2018: Hey everyone, just an update, you can now report inappropriate profiles. For instructions, please see this article

Hi everyone!

I just quickly wanted to add that if this happens to you, please keep in kind that you have the option to block the user friend requesting you, in addition to not accepting the friend request. Instead, please choose to "ignore" the request.

Thanks for your patience while we look into this problem further. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
81 REPLIES 81

And I know they can be reported, but many of us get multiple of these requests everyday. Reporting them all is a pain. 

Best Answer

I agree it's getting outta control. And another way to spot them, they immediately ask for an email address so that you can communicate out of the Fitbit app. 

Best Answer

We need to promote this topic on the app and get people to vote it up so that Fitbit will take notice. They don’t seem to pay attention to anything in the app. 

Best Answer

So annoyed as well. I just had 2 of them. 2 nd guy asked me straight up to send him $200 in iTunes gift cards to fix his computer. Definitely a foreign person by the way he talked. Ugh! Losers

Best Answer

I know. Vote the topic up so maybe Fitbit will notice. They always seem to go by first name & last initial. So do some legit people, but the scammer/bots always do. I have literally blocked over 100 of them and still get several bogus requests a day. It’s really ruining the community. You would think Fitbit would care. 

Best Answer

I know this is a App problem and not a Blaze. I'm moving to the Android forum even though its a problem for both. But it wont get seen here

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thanks Wendy. Hope it gets noticed and people vote it up. I think bots are generating these fake profiles. Seems like there are just too many for it to be individuals. There must be thousands of fake profiles out there if I’m getting hundreds. 

Best Answer

I also gave the app a bad review under the heading “scammers abound”. Not sure what it takes to get Fitbit to notice and correct the problem. One “bot man” was a member of fit seniors, several different local city groups, birth control, and about 40 other groups.  Umm not hard to figure out it’s fake Fitbit developers. 

Best Answer

I support this request.  Fitbit administration, I bought a Fitbit to bring my blood pressure down!  These scammers are bringing my blood pressure up!

Best Answer

This is definitely a problem.  Look at the recent SleepWell forum.  34 likes and 26 comments.  Sleepwell1.png

Best Answer

More comments.  Fitbit, HSleepwell2.pngelp us get this stopped!

Best Answer

Amazon review of Fitbit.png

Best Answer

I misspelled FitBit, but this may get some attention.  The review is on Amazon, where I purchased my Fitbit!

Best Answer

Hello everyone!

Thanks for sharing this with everyone. I definitely understand how frustrating all this can be. Be sure that I'll be passing all information on to the rest of the team. In the meantime I'd recommend that you keep blocking these types of users, it might not be a permanent solution but it is a workaround that is available.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Exactly, I get a lot of requests from 'men' but if you look closer their profile says 'female'. ' it's disgusting. I ignore or block otherwise they want to talk to you on other apps probably in hopes of gaining something.

Money

Best Answer

And half the time I look at their “groups” and they belong to birth control, pregnancy, and 6 different local cities. So obviously fake. I know we can just block air ignor, but you’d think Fitbit would feel some responsibility for getting rid of all these fake profiles and providing a better user experience for their true customers. 

Best Answer
Thank you, moderator. I have let participants in the forums that I am in know that you are working on this. We appreciate your support.

Carolyn Anderson

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Meg,  I think we are getting some action.  I posted information that the moderator has taken this to her work group to the forums where I am active, suggesting that they join th conversation here.  Do you have forums (members) that would also contribute? 

Carolyn 

Best Answer

Meg, I think we’re getting some action. I posted the information about the moderators response on this forum to my fit bit forums. Hopefully some of those members will also join the conversation here.  

Best Answer