Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers using Fitbit Profiles

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit needs to do something to get rid of all the scammers plagueing the app. Their profiles are pretty easy to recognize. 

1 recently joined, usually with no personal information or posts

2 they join lots of groups

3 they send out dozens of friend requests to women

Seems to me it would be fairly easy for Fitbit to develop a routine to recognize these creeps and block them. It’s really ruining the community for a lot of women. 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
81 REPLIES 81

There are definitely scammers out there posing as women too, not quite as prevalent though.

I get multiple of these requests/day. I would think Fitbit would want to clean up the community and get rid of all these fake profiles, like other communities are currently doing. 

Best Answer

Im pretty sure they are all fake pictures that the scammers get from Instagram or elsewhere. I also think bots may be generating some of these fake profiles. And from the horrible English, I’m guessing most of them are foreign. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone!

Thanks for sharing all of those details, pictures and feedback.

Be sure to share the information with our support team. Please do know that we are always looking for ways to improve the overall experience. 

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
Thank you, Lanuza! I know you will come up with something!

Carolyn Anderson

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Instead of just giving a pat answer, I wish Fitbit would actually take some action. All they need to do is add a Report option with "Suspect Fake Profile" and those of us who are savvy could do their hunting for them. I write about fraud professionally, so I can smell a fake profile a mile away. I won't post the details here because I don't want to tip off the scammers to help them fool people better, but it's not hard to spot them. Fitbit is not going to bother to ferret them out, so they need to either add a reporting option. Or better yet, require a connecting device to participate in the community. That would eliminate virtually all of them in one fell swoop.

Best Answer

Totally agree. I can’t stand when a company creates a community and then isn’t responsible for it. They should care about protecting their real customers, providing a safe community, and a good user experience. 

Best Answer

PS. I have more than 200 blocked. 

Best Answer

Why not have the verified accounts with check marks?

Best Answer

Hello everyone.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback on the matter. 

Please do know that we take all comments seriously and that we are always looking for ways to improve the overall Fitbit experience. 

As soon as we have anything to announce on the matter we'll be sure to post about it for everyone to see.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you, Lanuza!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit Update 11/1/2018: Hey everyone, just an update, you can now report inappropriate profiles. For instructions, please see this article

Hi everyone!

I just quickly wanted to add that if this happens to you, please keep in kind that you have the option to block the user friend requesting you, in addition to not accepting the friend request. Instead, please choose to "ignore" the request.

Thanks for your patience while we look into this problem further. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
Thank you to the moderator s. We appreciate your work!

Carolyn Anderson

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Could you tell me how to donthe google search? I’ll need to do that for this one that contacted me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Take a screenshot of the picture their using them open google and type in google image search. Then paste the pic and it will search for you. It doesn’t always work but it can sometimes 

Best Answer
I tried that. It didn’t work. Smh I will keep trying. I will troll Facebook myself. I am determined to let this guy know his children are being exploited.

Sent from S. Moorer's iPhone
Best Answer

I don’t know who marked this topic as solved, but it definitely is NOT. Fitbit needs to step up and provide a safe online community. Eliminate scammer profiles, and don’t let new ones be created.  Stop enabling scammers to exploit unsuspecting peoples pictures.  There continue to be dozens of posts about this. WHY isn’t Fitbit taking care of this. 

Best Answer

This is NOT an accepted solution in the original posters (my) opinion. As I stated in a previous comment, we are all well aware that we can ingnore and block these creeps. Fitbit needs to FIX this problem.  Stop allowing scammers to prey on the Fitbit community and exploit unsuspecting people’s pictures. Be responsible and Provide a safe online community.  This problem will only be solved when Fitbit stops it from happening. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone! 

Thanks for sharing your experience, we definitely understand how terrible it must be. 

As mentioned before, please know that this is being looked into. As soon as we have anything to share we'll be sure to post about it.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All!  A friend of mine just started a new group today called "Scammers and Creeps" as one of the fitbit groups.  We are posting these mens pictures, their profile page, the messages they send us - anything at all that we can share with others to shame them.  We are doing what we can to allow others to be aware of who these creeps are.  Yes, they can change their names and their pictures (they probably just choose a google image anyway).  But their grammar is horrible as is their command (or lack thereof) of the English language.  Most admit to being overseas or working on a rig in the ocean.  And yes, to those who have commented that we can just block or ignore.  Maybe they just are not attracted to those of you who made those comments.  But many of us get at least 10 each day.  They rarely ever have any step counts, badges or trophies and their introduction reads exactly like they copied and pasted it from match.com.  Also none of them have a device connected.  

We have all (in our group) asked Fitbit to not allow anyone to have access to the app or website unless they have an active device linked to it.  This would eliminate the majority of these creeps.  

I am on my third Fitbit device.  Once this ones stops working - and if Fitbit has not taken any action to make this a fitness community - because there are actions they can take - and get rid of the creepy stalkers and also the women who are posing half naked, again, no steps, no device, and making provocative comments which are very disgusting ----   I will never purchase another Fitbit - and many others have already left the app and website and gone to other fitness wearables.  

Fitbit folks - you have been informed that you have customers that are very unhappy with your lack of action.  Please listen and do something!

Best Answer
How do I find this group?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab A
Best Answer