Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing issues since 2.64 Android app update

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 1/29

Hey, everyone! I wanted to announce that Android app version: 2.65.1 has been fully released. If you haven't already, please update the app! This should help with syncing and also contains some improvements for those of you on Android 8.0 (Oreo). 

If you are on Android 8.0 (Oreo), please check out this help article with more information about the Notifications you are receiving from the app. Please let me know if this changes anything for you all. Our team is always at work to improve the Fitbit experience on Android. Thanks for your cooperation! 

Fitbit Update: 1/22

Hi, Android users! Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate. 

If you continue to have difficulty syncing, please use an alternate device if available. I will provide any future updates here, so please stay tuned. 

Fitbit Update: 1/19

Hi Android Users - Our team is aware that some Android users on Android 8.0 Oreo may be experiencing syncing issues since the Fitbit app 2.64 update.

Our Android Team is actively working on a fix and hope to have it resolved shortly. In the meantime, I recommend syncing to an alternative supported device or computer if possible. Thanks very much for your patience as our team works to resolve this as quickly as possible. More updates to come!

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
336 REPLIES 336

@locoMoco  Thanks again..... Smile.... Last year I used BLE scanner to find my $aud5000 hearing aid in the garden...

So after the nRF disconnected I tested with BLE and it couldn't find the Ionic... BLE found my hearing aids and the Samsung TV..

So I restarted the Ionic and immediate success with nRF and all the technical stuff shows and it's connected... but wont sync.. so the restarting the Ionic triggered the Bluetooth..  7 minutes later the Ionic did a sync.. 54% battery life on the Ionic..(Dongle disconnected). Phone back on the charger because those scanners definitely suck the battery life..

Now no syncing again so I un-paired the Ionic and it never pairs again.and BLE and nRF don't "see" it...

I just forced a sync by turning Bluetooth off on the phone and letting the Ionic ask for permission.. It synced then.. But the Ionic still doesn't show on the phones Bluetooth.

So this is the flakiness we have.. I will continually try and pair the Ionic to the phone but... I won't disconnect the Ionic from the App. I will wait for v2.65 because a couple of weeks ago it took me over a day and I finished up using our Windows 10 computer to make the pairing etc..

When it works... it works.... and you have been very helpful giving the forum tsome testing Apps and help..

@locoMoco wrote:

After more experimenting, the Fitbit app may not be initiating a Bluetooth connection at all. Using nRF Connect, I established a connection to my Charge 2. I then started up the Fitbit app and lo and behold, the app synced to my Charge!

So as a workaround, install the app nRF Connect. Startup the app and after a short period of scanning, you should be able to see the name of your device. Mine shows up as "Charge 2". My wife's shows up as "Alta". Press the connect button and you'll see a bunch of techy stuff. Then startup your Fitbit app and it should sync! Make sure to disconnect (upper right hand corner in nRF Connect) after syncing to reduce battery consumption. The app BLE Scanner from Bluepixel Technologies should do the same thing with a less intimidating interface.

Moderator Edit: Format

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

I am running Android version 7.0 and having the same problems as these people

Best Answer

Deafening silence from Fitbit about these hundreds of problems.

Best Answer

I too have to unpair then pair my fitbit with my phone several times a day, it's ridiculous. Was working fine until 15 the January ie the day the app was updated 😡

Best Answer

Guess I'll add my name to this ever increasing list of users having this same problem. My problem started the same time as everyone else and I've tried everything everyone has tried here to resolve the problem but to no avail.

Come on Fitbit. Are you trying to get us to upgrade to another model now that the Surge is discontinued? You just made most if not all of us Surge users' tracker obsolete in one fell swoop with just one software update.

Best Answer

How do you download the old version?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the new version 2.65 and it still doesn't work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That would be great unfortunately I can't get it to work with my desktop computer either 😞

Best Answer

Have tried restart. Cannot turn Bluetooth off it just turns back on.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well, I am very cynical at my stage of life, and aren't surprised to hear that.

Downgrade to 2.63. It works.
Best Answer

Just checking in, since the last android update I can't sync my fitbit blaze to my android phone running OS version 6.0. I've tried rebooting the phone and the blaze, reinstalling the app, toggling bluetooth on and off, "forgetting" the blaze and blaze (classic), but now not even blaze is appearing as something to be paired to, only the classic option pops up. I can still sync to my Mac, but carrying it around to track workouts would certainly spice things up.

Best Answer
thats what i wanna know
Best Answer
0 Votes

Flex 2 won't synch to either of 2 phones in the home nor 2 computers. All suggested steps taken without any success. Worked fine before update. Based on lights flashing, it appears device is keeping track of steps. Seems like it took about 8 weeks to resolve the last time an update screwed things up. Fitbit needs to work harder & faster to fix this problem. It also needs to develop a better Quality Control system before it releases the next update. We are about ready to throw it down the drain.

Best Answer
This ia what i did.
1. Go to settings go to security and turn on unknown source.
2. Uninstall fitbit.
3. Google fitbit 2.60 apk i got it from apkmirror. Download. Then go to
downloan and install. Then go to your widgets and move the fitbit widget
back to main screen or wherever you had it. Hope this helps
Best Answer
My S8 Still have issues like I report previously.

Don't come with the compatible bullsh*t because always worked, please don't try to throw sand to customers eyes.

Thank you.

A good company would simply send a downgraded version and work with the one that is causing problems. But, since was from the night to day, I guess server problems.
Alta HR, S8, Android - Portugal
Best Answer
0 Votes

@locoMoco Thanks! This did the trick for me. Annoying to have to do this but better than not syncing until they fix the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my Fitbit Alta HR for only 2 weeks with no problem, then just today (1/24) the app will not sync at all. I tried doing what support suggested and uninstalled the app then reinstalled it since I had installed it before the bug fix on 1/22. The app still will not sync. This is very frustrating since apps should update automatically if there is a problem and the company fixes it. The customer should not have to go through the hassles that Support is telling us to do.

Best Answer

I downloaded 2.65.1 which is a beta and voila, it's syncing. It is way faster than any of my last versions and now has a notification "dot" on the icon.  Who knows if this will last.  Also, if you have the Sync Service on, it shows a notification in the top window when it syncs.  Only problem is it won't swipe away so I will have to turn that off (maybe a setting somewhere?)  I have a pixel2 with version 8.1 with the latest "mystery" patch which puts me at build number OPM2.171019.016

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39  "I un-paired the Ionic and it never pairs again.and BLE and nRF don't "see" it..."

Makes me think there is a bug in the Ionic code.  It definitely does not work the same way as my Charge.  When my Charge disconnects, it goes into advertising mode so scanning devices like phones can "see" it. I design my devices to do the same thing.

Note: If your Ionic is somehow still connected to your phone,  BLE and nRF will not "see" it because your Ionic is in connection mode, not advertising.  This is normal.  There is a connection timeout of I think 15 seconds which should cause a disconnect if one end of the connection is turned off.

Best Answer

locomoco is a genius. He actually got to the bottom of the problem (Fitbit's newest app update basically disabled the phone from making a connection to the tracker).

Now whether Fitbit's programmers actually read his post, that's a whole 'nother issue. Seems like 2.65 didn't fix anything so I'll be stuck on 2.55 (or 2.60) for the time being.

Best Answer