Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Msgs only show Sender's name (RESOLVED)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/12/19

Hey all!

We're still investigating and working on a fix for this text notification issue on Android. 

In addition to not receiving the correct text notification, we're now aware this is also affecting call notifications. Some of you may only see a previous caller's name and not the person actually calling you at the time you're receiving the notification. 

When we have more information for a fix, we'll announce it here in this thread. Please stay tuned for updates! 

Fitbit Update: 7/30/19

Hi everyone.

We're aware of these issues with receiving only the sender's name from your text messages. This appears to have started with the Fitbit for Android app version 3.0. If you're experiencing this yourself with your Fitbit device, please know we're working on a fix. 

While our team investigates this further, we just ask for your patience. Once I have information for a fix, I'll make an announcement here on this thread. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
795 REPLIES 795

google fitbit app 2.90.  Then download it to your phone.  Then uninstall your current fitbit app.  Install the 2.90 you downloaded. Set it up, and go to play store to stop automatic updates for 2.90. and it should work.

Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I cant find v2.90.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JackieSJ

Gooto a website called A. p. K. Mirror (but no dots or spaces)

They have it and the instructions on how to install it, but the Fitbit community software doesn't let me share the link directly or spell out their name

Best Answer
I am so confused do I have to download the a.p.k. mirror app and then it
will give me instructions on how to get to 2.90 - when I go to this app it
is wanting me to download Optup
Best Answer
0 Votes
You are a star. It worked. Xx
Best Answer

@LFH 

I can't share a direct link but I will provide some pictures from my phone if the process.

On your phone search the same phrase I show I've searched below:

Screenshot_20191009-165709_Firefox.png

Pick the one with the (noarch) (Android 5.0+) part. You will get to the following page.

Screenshot_20191009-170305_Firefox.png

If you scroll further down the page you will see a big Download button like the one pictured below

Screenshot_20191009-170311_Firefox.png

 when the Download completes, a file will be saved to your phone. Tap on it to bring up the installer window.

Screenshot_20191009-165831_Firefox.png

 it will pop up a warning that your browser (chrome, firefox, etc) isn't allowed to install apps from unknown sources, and asks if you want to go to settings to change it. Tap settings.

Screenshot_20191009-165908_Package_installer.png

 the settings page has a little switch to enable installing from unknown sources. I've attached what it enabled looks like on my phone.

Screenshot_20191009-165916_Settings.png

 once it is enabled, tape the arrow in the top corner to return to the install page. The install button will be at the bottom right of the screen.

You must sync your tracker, and delete the broken Fitbit app from your phone before installing using this guide.

Best Answer

THANK YOU!!!!!!!?!

Best Answer
Flex still unresolved. Works at some times most of time not. I have to
constantly reset on charger turn off blue tooth on my lg stylo 4, force
shutdown app then turn everything back on. I have uninstalled app over
versions 3.5 to the latest3.7. I have also tried removing device and
reinstalling device. No luck. I constantly get flex denied pairing
request. Hope this helps or provides some insight.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry no help here, I am a Fitbit user and have no tech help to offer.
I just posted some suggestions after my fix on my Ionic.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all, thank you for the updates. I am sorry for the delayed response.  

Thanks to all for the efforts to resolve the issue, sharing the solutions and steps you've tried. Our team is actively working on this issue, please keep an eye on the updates here. I appreciate your patience and understanding. 

Let me know if you have further questions. 

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pretty sure posting a link to a thread about iOS in an Android forum isn't going to help anyone here... 

Best Answer

That article is only about iOS devices, but most of the people with issues
on this forum thread are Android users. Is your team aware of the problems
on Android? It has been a good 3 months now.

Moderator edit: content 

Best Answer

@LiliyaFitbit this can't be a serious response????? Have you read this thread? Of all android users? We've listed our devices and android versions. Why in the world would a link to iOS 13 sync issues be something we'd want to follow?

And why in the world is this thread still marked as "solved" when it could not be further from solved? 

These type of "updates" that just say "we know, we're working on it," are honestly more frustrating than no response from Fitbit at all. 

Best Answer

Dang, iOS users get their own help article and a huge banner across the site header letting them know their recent issue is being worked on and we get like the fifth update going on four months that there is no update.

This is what is called tone deaf. The Fitbit employee replying saw a thread with an issue listed in the title and saw the number of replies and issued a canned response. At this point I'd be surprised if the engineers of the Android app are even aware there is an issue. It is inexcusable at this point that the update we get is "Hey guys, no update. Keep your eyes out for the next non-update over in the help article for iOS users."

Best Answer

pizzaboy192 great job with the explanation and screen shots for downgrading the fitbit app.  Lets just hope they leave it up! 

Best Answer

Hello, any update on this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

For those who need downgrade instructions, here you go.

1. Uninstall the Fitbit app
  2. From your phone, go to a - p - k - mirror.com (without the dashes or spaces)
  3. Search for Fitbit
  4. Find the last 2.x version which I think is 2.95
  5. Download the install a - p - k file for 2.95 to your phone
  6. Tap on the file to install it
    1. You may need to turn on settings to allow installing from other sources
  7. *IMPORTANT* As soon as the 2.x version is installed, open up the Play Store, to My Apps, find Fitbit and tap it, tap the Menu Icon and TURN OFF the Auto Update ability for the Fitbit app.  If you don't do this, the app will automatically upgrade back to 3.x and break again
  8. Launch the Fitbit app and it should be v2.x
  9. Log in with your standard information and all your date should be there

I typed this up from memory since I did it a long time ago and I'm still on 2.95 and it works fine.

**CAUTION**  Do not ever go into the Play Store and tap Update All when you have pending updates.  Tapping Update All will update the fitbit app and break it and you'll have to do these steps again.

Best Answer

Galaxy S10 - Charge 2 - unresolved

Best Answer
0 Votes

Downgraded to version 2.90 and call/text notifications are working again. Thanks!

Best Answer

Thank you Kelemvor, version 2.95 works!  LG8 ThinQ running android 9. I was not getting any call and text notifications since sometime in July.  Now I get the text senders name and the message scroll's below.  I tried the mid July version 3.01 for fun but it did not work.

Now I have to be sure not to update it.  Come on Fitbit, get this resolved!

Best Answer