Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracked distance shows km, but number is in miles

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I trackes my first run using the Charge 2 together with my Android phone. It showed 5.72 km. I know for a fact that the distance is approx. 9 km, which equates to 5.6 miles. I therefore suspect that the number is miles, but every statistic takes into consideration that it is km. This shows me the wrong pace amongst other things.

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @Eplak, welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community! I was reading your post and I'm wondering if you have your length units in Centimeters? Note that the distance units are determined by the configuration of your Fitbit account.

If you have the settings in Centimeters / Kilometers the distance of your exercise will be display in Km. Now if you changed this to Feet / Inches; the distance will be displayed and recorded in miles.

You can review this by going to your Fitbit app > Tap account > Scroll down and in settings select "Advanced Settings" > Here you'll find units for you to review.

Also something important to remark here, is that your distance will depend either from your number of steps or your phone GPS if the activity was recorded using this feature. So if this was with GPS make sure the connection is not interrupted. A weak GPS signal can be caused by environmental factors such as tall buildings, dense forest, steep hills, or even thick cloud cover. All of these factors can interrupt the connection between your tracker and GPS satellites causing incorrect distance.

Hope this helps and let me know how it goes.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertoMEFirst, i have made sure it is set to centimeters. If i change units to inches the number becomes even smaller. (3.6)

Looking through the readings, it doesn't look like there have been any interruptions. I did run in a forest, but it is not a dense forest. I measured the exact route that was tracked by Fitbit in Google maps, as well as some local services from the people maintaining the tracks. All of them measured 9 km. And it seems to be a bit too coincidental that this equates to 5.6 miles which is almost exactly the same as what my Fitbit displays in km (5.72).

If you need any screenshots or more info, feel free to ask. I really want to figure this out!

(I am not a native English speaker, so if there is something you don't understand i may rephrase it 🙂 )

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello there @Eplak, my apologies for being absent and not posting any update recently. Thank you for providing me more details and rest assure your English is perfect, so no need to rephrase any word. However if the issue persists I would like to bother you with a screenshot to have a closer look of the issue you are experiencing.

However in the last week, we have released new versions of the Fitbit app.I'm sure you already have the latest version, but it case you don't you can find more details here: Android app version 2.65.1 is now available - 1/25. If you have this version already, I'm wondering if the issue persists?

In case it does, perhaps a restart will do the trick regarding the distance issue. If you need the instructions, use this post as a reference: How to restart your Charge 2?.

See you around until the next opportunity.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Eplak,

I'm wondering if you found a solution?  I ask because my Fitbit Inspire 2 - is doing exactly the same thing.  I just finished a 5 kilometer walk, but the Fitbit records it as a 3.1 kilometers.   Doing the math, 3.1 miles = 5.0 kilometers.  So the actual number displayed is miles, however it is showing as kilometers and tracking my goal setting based on kilometers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having this exact same problem tracking Hikes. I have the gps on, and the a 2.5k hike logs in at 1.6k …. But 1.6miles = 2.5k which I know this trail to be. This has been happening for a few weeks for me now. 
I have checked, and my units are set to km. When I check and toggle it back to miles, the distance converts to miles again, and gets even shorter. 
my gps track for the hike is complete, with no apparent drop-outs. I chatted with tech support and came up with no leads to fix this. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Carm99  - see your Versa 3 post.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes