Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Setup Failure

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am also unable to set up my Aria.

I followed all these directions (thanks to Erich for helpfully posting):
- Take out all the batteries and wait for one minute before placing them back in.
- Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
- Check that your Wi-Fi password is correct.
- Make sure the Aria scale is within 10 feet of the router.
- Make sure the scale wireless antenna has access to the main router signal, not to an extender.
- Your router needs to be configured to standard 802.11b (for more information about this you can contact your internet provider or your router's manufacturer)

My router is in this mode right now:  Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections.  I could have switched it to 802.11b only, but since it says it accepts 802.11b I left it in this mode.

Every time, I do the following:
1.  take out battery, replace battery after 1 minute
2.  Aria says V31 Wifi [SSID], Tap to Change
3.  I hold down lower edge, "Setup Active" appears on the scale
4.  I follow the instructions on my iPhone app, which has me log in to my Fitbit account
5.  It asks me to switch to AriaXXXX wireless network, which I do
6.  It seeks and finds my wireless network, which I select.

7.  It then asks me to switch back to my home wireless, which happens automatically on my iPhone, and then I click a button saying I am connected, and the iPhone attempts to connect to the Aria, BUT
8.  While I am doing that, and before I can get to the button, the scale says JOINING, then Wifi ERR, then goes dark.

5 attempts so far, it's packed and ready to go back pending a non-boilerplate response from Fitbit.  Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer
181 REPLIES 181

@dgraingerI've had my Aria since it was first released and didn't have any problems setting it up then or with it working properly. 

But for the last month or so it's been giving me problems much like yours; no BF measurement, not syncing. I recently installed a new WiFi router and had lots of problems re-installing the Aria. It still gives me the BF? error message. I'm losing confidence in this item that has served me well up until about a month ago.

I have to agree that some of the tech responses have not helped (stand on scale barefoot; set it up nearby your router, etc.).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine simply won't go into setup mode. I have removed battery and put in new ones and nothing. If I can't get it set up tonight I will send it back for a refund. This is really frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sr714 If your scale has already been paired once, you'll need to follow these instructions to return it to "Setup Active" mode. Per that article, you'll want to remove and reinsert the batteries, and then wait for the screen to display the "Tap to change" message.

At that point you'll want to press down firmly and briefly (less than a second) on the two corners farthest from the screen. If the scale display goes blank or begins to weigh you, you'll need to remove the batteries and repeat the process.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done all of that. The problem is that nothing happens with the LED on the front. I get no message. Very dissapointed with the scale and repacked and sent back for a refund

Best Answer
0 Votes
Did it literally take hours to set up between aria and the wifi? I too have a s3 and am having hard time even getting the scale to read setup mode....
Best Answer
0 Votes

@OneUser55 Check my post just above yours here - this will help you get the scale into "Setup Active" mode. If you continue to have trouble, let us know specifically what you're seeing and we will be happy to help!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm surprised at how difficult this thing is to setup but I guess that's not new.

My problem is where the webpage on the scale is never finding networks.

Battery pull -check

Tried both app and web page - check

Within a foot of router - check

only one router, no extender, no non-alpha characters in network name or password - check

webpage never shows other networks

tried typing it in manually - check - says selected network not found

verified router running mixed (bgn) network - check

tried setting router to b only - no good

Sent email with logs to support.

Any ideas? And YES i watched the videos and read the setup page. None of them offer any real troubleshooting (other than "remove batteries").

Best Answer
Exactly my situation, to a t.
Best Answer

I received a replacement from Fitbit two days ago. Initially the scale had problems syncing with one specific network on my router. When I changed networks, I finally got it to setup and sync. I'm also getting my BF readings.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've since then (and it's been two days since I sent the support email):

Reset everything, including pin reset of the Aria.

Renamed my home network - no dice

Tried whole process again

Tried the web setup with two different phones and a decrepid old Nook

In all cases, it connects to the Aria, but the aria never finds any networks.

Best Answer
My problem is I bought it in the store not thinking I would ever need to
return it so I didn't keep the receipt. Here I am three weeks later and I
can't return it because I can't find the receipt. I still think it should
at least display your weight and body fat on the screen so it's not useless
without a connection, but I followed the directions several times and it
never connects.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been having issues setting up my Aria - it will not move past step 2 and shuts off.   I have tried all the different alternatives given watched several youtube setup videos, followed instructions exactly per videos both on laptop and smartphone - doesn't seem to matter what I try Aria still turns off during step 2 and does not come back on without either standing on it or taking out batteries - either way it has not registered and has to start again only for same to happen. Aside from the fact that your software says it is for windows 7, I am running windows 8.1 but have tried both methods anyway.  What is making my Aria turn off?

Can someone out there please help me.

@FitbitCommunity wrote:

The simplest and quickest approach to setting up your Aria scale is by installing and running the setup software from here.

If you are unable to complete the setup with this software, we recommend using the web-based setup as a secondary alternative. Complete instructions for this process can be found in this help article, along with the instructional video below.

Setting up your Aria via the Web-based Method

For assistance with putting your Aria in "Setup Active" mode, please consult this post.

If you are unable to complete the setup process using the above information, check this help article for more setup tips. For further assistance, please contact our Support Team at http://contact.fitbit.com or join the discussion in our Aria Community forum. Be sure to provide as many details as possible about where in the process you are getting stuck and what error you are encountering.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I went on YouTube and search for Fitbit Aria set up. There is a video there who shows you how to set it up from your phone. It works perfect! It seems Fitbit should have mentioned this. http://youtu.be/jkbXQF9SrD4
Best Answer
0 Votes
http://youtu.be/jkbXQF9SrD4
Follow this link, use your phone to set it up - it works perfectly
Best Answer

Your problem sounds the same as the one I am having, tried everything and Aria always shuts off during step 2 and doesn't turn back on or get to step 3.

I have tried approx 50 times already over the past 4 days since it arrived.

I hope someone can help us otherwise I will need to workout how to send back also.

@bfox33 wrote:

I am also unable to set up my Aria.

I followed all these directions (thanks to Erich for helpfully posting):
- Take out all the batteries and wait for one minute before placing them back in.
- Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
- Check that your Wi-Fi password is correct.
- Make sure the Aria scale is within 10 feet of the router.
- Make sure the scale wireless antenna has access to the main router signal, not to an extender.
- Your router needs to be configured to standard 802.11b (for more information about this you can contact your internet provider or your router's manufacturer)

My router is in this mode right now:  Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections.  I could have switched it to 802.11b only, but since it says it accepts 802.11b I left it in this mode.

Every time, I do the following:
1.  take out battery, replace battery after 1 minute
2.  Aria says V31 Wifi [SSID], Tap to Change
3.  I hold down lower edge, "Setup Active" appears on the scale
4.  I follow the instructions on my iPhone app, which has me log in to my Fitbit account
5.  It asks me to switch to AriaXXXX wireless network, which I do
6.  It seeks and finds my wireless network, which I select.

7.  It then asks me to switch back to my home wireless, which happens automatically on my iPhone, and then I click a button saying I am connected, and the iPhone attempts to connect to the Aria, BUT
8.  While I am doing that, and before I can get to the button, the scale says JOINING, then Wifi ERR, then goes dark.

5 attempts so far, it's packed and ready to go back pending a non-boilerplate response from Fitbit.  Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem as me with exception that when mine goes to move on from step 2 to step 3 Aria turns off and doesn't come back on.

I am at wits end about to send email to seller in Australia to find out how I can send back and get full refund.

@RoccoPriiv wrote:

I'm surprised at how difficult this thing is to setup but I guess that's not new.

My problem is where the webpage on the scale is never finding networks.

Battery pull -check

Tried both app and web page - check

Within a foot of router - check

only one router, no extender, no non-alpha characters in network name or password - check

webpage never shows other networks

tried typing it in manually - check - says selected network not found

verified router running mixed (bgn) network - check

tried setting router to b only - no good

Sent email with logs to support.

Any ideas? And YES i watched the videos and read the setup page. None of them offer any real troubleshooting (other than "remove batteries").

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bjamlobo wrote:
http://youtu.be/jkbXQF9SrD4
Follow this link, use your phone to set it up - it works perfectly

Followed the instructions you posted but my aria still fails in fact I had found same video day or 2 earlier but it shuts off at step 2 connection point (after I have switched to aria network) and then does not come back on.  I have tried everything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've also tried this. Just pointing me at a video to do something I already said I did isn't helping.

Also: FitBit support said they were going to get back to me in "2 or more biz days", with no response.

Best Answer

Two more days with no response from Support. If I don't get a response in another two days, back it goes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

yeah, I have been waiting 2 days so far just to find out how to get a replacement as I am pretty sure mine is faulty being that it turns off during setup and doesn't turn back on.  I have sent through 4 emails to various addresses trying to get an answer and none are responding, including despatch centre it came from!  Not very happy at all!Smiley Sad

Best Answer
0 Votes