Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Setup Failure

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am also unable to set up my Aria.

I followed all these directions (thanks to Erich for helpfully posting):
- Take out all the batteries and wait for one minute before placing them back in.
- Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
- Check that your Wi-Fi password is correct.
- Make sure the Aria scale is within 10 feet of the router.
- Make sure the scale wireless antenna has access to the main router signal, not to an extender.
- Your router needs to be configured to standard 802.11b (for more information about this you can contact your internet provider or your router's manufacturer)

My router is in this mode right now:  Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections.  I could have switched it to 802.11b only, but since it says it accepts 802.11b I left it in this mode.

Every time, I do the following:
1.  take out battery, replace battery after 1 minute
2.  Aria says V31 Wifi [SSID], Tap to Change
3.  I hold down lower edge, "Setup Active" appears on the scale
4.  I follow the instructions on my iPhone app, which has me log in to my Fitbit account
5.  It asks me to switch to AriaXXXX wireless network, which I do
6.  It seeks and finds my wireless network, which I select.

7.  It then asks me to switch back to my home wireless, which happens automatically on my iPhone, and then I click a button saying I am connected, and the iPhone attempts to connect to the Aria, BUT
8.  While I am doing that, and before I can get to the button, the scale says JOINING, then Wifi ERR, then goes dark.

5 attempts so far, it's packed and ready to go back pending a non-boilerplate response from Fitbit.  Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@bfox33 When you get to the end of the setup process, it sounds like you are switching back to your own network before the scale connects.  Try this instead:

When you get to the point where you enter your home network's password, and click "Submit", go ahead and do that and then put down the device.  Do nothing at all and just watch the scale's screen while it attempts to join your network.  You do not need to press that final button, and it sounds like that might be causing the problem.

If you still get a "WIFI ERR" message at the end, it is likely one of two problems:

- Your password may be incorrect. Check this article for help with verifying your password.

- Your router may not be properly configured for the Aria. It needs to accept 802.11b signals, and be set to DHCP. If you are not comfortable changing your router settings, please contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

You can also contact our Support Team at http://contact.fitbit.com for further help.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
181 REPLIES 181

I feel your frustration.  I've enjoyed my scale for six months.  Then I got a new router.  The software thinks everything is great.  I get a big smily success until I step on the scale.   ERR    I'm really pissed.  Customer service just keeps walking me through the steps to re do set up.  Well I've redone set up so many times I no longer need directions.   It's probably too late to get a refund.  I have a very expensive paper weight.  Grrrr..

Best Answer

@bfox33 When you get to the end of the setup process, it sounds like you are switching back to your own network before the scale connects.  Try this instead:

When you get to the point where you enter your home network's password, and click "Submit", go ahead and do that and then put down the device.  Do nothing at all and just watch the scale's screen while it attempts to join your network.  You do not need to press that final button, and it sounds like that might be causing the problem.

If you still get a "WIFI ERR" message at the end, it is likely one of two problems:

- Your password may be incorrect. Check this article for help with verifying your password.

- Your router may not be properly configured for the Aria. It needs to accept 802.11b signals, and be set to DHCP. If you are not comfortable changing your router settings, please contact your ISP or router manufacturer.

You can also contact our Support Team at http://contact.fitbit.com for further help.

Best Answer

@dorvisbunn If you are consistently seeing "Sensing", "Thinking", and then "Err" on your scale, please respond to your support case and let them know that you are seeing this specific pattern.  They will be able to assist you further once you provide them with these details.

Best Answer

Success!  You were correct that apparently you don't want to hit "I'm Connected" before the scale has a chance to fully sync - when I just let it go, it connected and worked fine.  Thank you!

Best Answer
still not working. I am now requesting a new scale
Best Answer

last month i configure a aria scale and i have a lot of problems

finally I solve all the problems changing the security of the wifi to WEB not WPA or WPA2.

Best Answer

Hi, I have been dealig with the same issues for the last three hours.  I, too, have turned everything off and rebooted everything, my router is mixed and accepts the (b), it's set to DCHP, but every time I reconfigure the Aria and attempt to "tap" it, it goes blank.  I've gotten it to work before but with no connection.  I'll tap it in the same place I did before where it worked and to no avail.  What does that mean when it goes blank?  I've pinched the sides, didn't work; "tapped" the corners, didn't work; "tapped" the middle of the left and right sides, didn't work.  Very, Very frustrating after three hours!

Found another posting and figured out what I was doing wrong.  I have to press on it like you're giving it CPR with your thumbs.  It worked and at least I'm at the setup point again -- whew!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I tried to set up my Aria scale and it failed on 2 computers, both using the setup program and the web based set up and still no luck.  I finally was able to set it up using my iPhone.  After 4 hours, I finally suceeded and almost sent my scale back!  

Best Answer

I'm glad I read the forum posts before getting upset.  Had the exact same problem.  Scale would not connect despite repeated attempts.  Kept getting ERR message.  The problem was the router setting.  It would have been nice if the instructions mentioned that. Ours did need to be recofigured to "B". I just called Comcast/Infinity and the rep was able to take care of it remotely. He was pretty familiar with this situation (he had a fitbit too).    Changing to B, in most cases wont slow-or-harm existing connections with other devices, but it may 'throttle' back connection speeds.  It really depends on how you use the internet. So far we have not noticed any changes with any of our other internet connected devices. 

Best Answer

Setting up my Aria sure was a problem.  It took me over 2 hours.  I tried both my computer and my cell phone.  Finally the wifi on my cell is where it connected.  It was a pain having to start set up on the phone, then go into my wifi setup, then go back into the Aria setup, then go back into wifi set up.  Finally got it to  work.

FitBit should highlight the instructions where you need to go into your WIFI setting then come back to the Fitbit settings.  It got very confusing.

I am glad it's working very well and have no other problems with it.

Best Answer

For a $125.00 scale, I kind of expect the latest tech. Still messing around trying to get mine set up...*sigh* iPhone setup isn't working, software isn't working, fitbit customer service, while very nice, seem to stick to the same script...ah well, steping away for a bit, clear the mind, come back and try again in a bit! 

Best Answer

The directions are very tricky, that's for sure.  I used my Samsung Galaxy s3 since it was easier going back and forth for the WIFI settings.  Remember that you need to go into your phone setting and SWITCH to the ARIA to connect to WIFI.  Then once it is set up (hope it doesn't take hours like it did me), you then go back into your phone settings and switch back to normal WIFI, not the ARIA.  Yes, it does take patience but in the end, I found it was worth it because I didn't want to give up.  I won't let technology ruin me! 

Best Answer

I have tried everything mentioned on here. My scale is connected to my wireless connection but I can't finish the setup? I am sending it back and telling everyone I know not to waste their money!

Oh, and it emailed for help and got nothing back but an automated response that they got my message. Very disappointed!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Hi,

I'm ready to throw this scale out the window, my wife bought it for her to use, I'm an ultra running and don't need a scale only to see how much skinnier I am after a log run.  I'm also a techie and did everything to get it connect to my network and it says it's connected but all she get is "Thinking" and "ERR" every time.  The scale even tells us it's on our network but ERR every time.  And every time using all the different methods, iPhone, Android, Macbook, iMac, Windows 7 Window 8 dowloaded program and web app all say that it's successful and we get the check mark on both the scale and application but then it's just ERR-UGH. And yes I've changed my wireless network configuration just a many times, my network even says it's connected an has an IP address but it's still not connecting.

At this point all I want is to return the scale and get our money back.  I glad all you other folks had success but I have tried maybe 100 or more times in a 4 day period sometimes for hours!  I sent an email to technical support so I hope that they have an answer.

Best Answer

I too have spent 3 hours trying to connect - re-booted computer more than once / tried with the iphone / checked and double checked passwords - tried everything I can think of!

When will aria have phone help like most other companies - bearing in mind their seeming success I cannot understand why you cannot phone and talk to a tech?  I am considering sending it back and also cancelling my order for a "Force" which is on backorder.

Best Answer

The thing that is most problematic is this email that they sent us: 

We are sorry to hear that your Aria scale is displaying a "Thinking...ERR" message after completing the setup process.
Rest assured that you are now at good hands, let your wife know that we will be glad to assist you with your Aria scale. This message indicates that your scale is properly setup so keep in mind that your efforts were rewarded. The main caused of this situation is by your scale attempting to calibrate after being moved.

The scale says that it's set up but we still ge the "ERR" message when she steps on it.  It also states that it's connected to our network but does not show the wifi siginal.  I just want to return it and get my money back at this point.

Best Answer
I sent mine back. I was tired of them acting like I was just technologically illiterate, sending me the same instructions over and over again. I think they need to work on their software, but they seem to refuse to admit there is any problem!
Best Answer

Cant get my Aria through the setup process. Im using a macbook and also have tried on my Iphone. Got all the way through setup with Iphone until last step the scale reverts back to displaying the setup scrolling message. Someone must know what the trick to this is... Any help appreciated.

Best Answer

I'm embarrassed to say that after 5 days of working on trying to get my Aria set up, I finally did it. And it was so easy. I found that my wireless router is hooked up to my desktop computer (the one I was trying to connect with), but it needs to be set up through a wireless unit such as the laptop I have on my wireless network, once I did it that way, everything went smooth.

So for those of you who can't connect through your desktop but have a laptop connected to your wireless network, try following the set up instructions through the laptop, worked for me the first time!

Best Answer
0 Votes