Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Setup Failure

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am also unable to set up my Aria.

I followed all these directions (thanks to Erich for helpfully posting):
- Take out all the batteries and wait for one minute before placing them back in.
- Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
- Check that your Wi-Fi password is correct.
- Make sure the Aria scale is within 10 feet of the router.
- Make sure the scale wireless antenna has access to the main router signal, not to an extender.
- Your router needs to be configured to standard 802.11b (for more information about this you can contact your internet provider or your router's manufacturer)

My router is in this mode right now:  Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections.  I could have switched it to 802.11b only, but since it says it accepts 802.11b I left it in this mode.

Every time, I do the following:
1.  take out battery, replace battery after 1 minute
2.  Aria says V31 Wifi [SSID], Tap to Change
3.  I hold down lower edge, "Setup Active" appears on the scale
4.  I follow the instructions on my iPhone app, which has me log in to my Fitbit account
5.  It asks me to switch to AriaXXXX wireless network, which I do
6.  It seeks and finds my wireless network, which I select.

7.  It then asks me to switch back to my home wireless, which happens automatically on my iPhone, and then I click a button saying I am connected, and the iPhone attempts to connect to the Aria, BUT
8.  While I am doing that, and before I can get to the button, the scale says JOINING, then Wifi ERR, then goes dark.

5 attempts so far, it's packed and ready to go back pending a non-boilerplate response from Fitbit.  Any help is appreciated!

Best Answer
181 REPLIES 181

@SeanLIamTwomey You'll find the complete walkthrough of setup procedures in this article. There are two different methods described - if neither one works for you, please let us know exactly where you run into trouble so that we can help you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I finally figured out the issue with my Aira scale – there is no further need for any support at this time.

Please remove me from this discussion.

thank you,
Annette Hannah
Best Answer
0 Votes

It seems to me that if so many people are posting about the same issue, the device is the problem, not the person, not the network...the scale! I have been at it for 2 days. All of my setting are correct and still will not recognize my wifi, through a laptop OR ipad. The scale needs to be pulled if it isn't going to work correctly. 

When we know better, we do better. ~ Maya Angelou
Best Answer

I have been contacting Fitbit customer service seeking to return the Aria scale. I can't set it up and I don't want to waste any more time fooling with the thing.  They have not responded to my request for return information. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nancd I'm sorry you had trouble setting up your Aria. If you'd like to share the specifics of what you've encountered, we will be happy to offer assistance. If you'd prefer to return the scale, our team will be in contact shortly to assist you with that process.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not going to do anything else.  I want to return it.  It is too much trouble and I do not trust it.  It is taking up too much time.  No one will tell me how to return it.  I only get stuff about how to continue to waste my time.  I am done. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nancd,

We called and called and finally after sending them the model number,
serial number and everything else they sent us a new one and told us to
keep the old one. They didn't want it back. Since receiving the scale I
have been successful in setting it up to work.

--
Bernie
Best Answer
0 Votes

I see that there is a return policy online.  Too bad there is no address.  I just don't want to fool with the thing anymore.  It is too time consuming.   I am glad you finally got one to work. 

I would like to recover my $129.00.  Even if there is some restocking fee it would be better to send it back. 

Since there is no return address, I believe they must not intend to let me send it back. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@nancd I'm sorry the Aria didn't work out for you. If you purchased the scale directly through our website, you can return it for a full refund within 45 days.

If you've already relayed this desire to our support team, they will respond with an RMA number and instructions to help you with this process. They will be in touch very soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is the deal with these scales , I have gone through 2 and the set up still will not work.

Do they test these scales before they mass produce them ???

If they have all these problem why don't they address them and why no phone support ???

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SM51 Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your setup. Please check this help article, which offers two methods to get you setup. If neither one works, please let us know specifically where in the process you get stuck, so that we can help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Other than Fitbit showing its capability of using 1990s wifi hardware (fail) I finally got this to work.

It turns out a neighbor had a network named linksys_guest and I was trying to use my linksys network name... well the scale was trying to join my neighbors by default - apparently it can't handle two wifi names that start with the same letters even though they are different (shocker).

Changed the wifi name and it joined up right away... 

Last fitbit product I ever buy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was so excited to get my scale, and now I just want to stomp on it. It absolutely refuses to set up. I have followed all the directions, over and over again. I've rebooted my computer, I'ver restarted my router, I've placed to scale and the computer in the closest possible proximity to the router...nothing works. Everytime I get to the part where you connect to your wireless network, it connects for a moment and then disconnects me from my own network! When I reconnect it, I have to go through the login verification all over again, then it might sustain the connection, but never gets any further than "step 2 - sending information to your scale." And it just freezes, right there, presumably until the world ends.

I am beyond frustrated at this point. Why doesn't Fitbit offer live help?!? The email system is slow and basically worthless. Ughhhhhh 

Best Answer
I was able to return the scale. Fitbit was kind enough to give me a refund.

Nancy

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

This sounds exatally like what I have experienced. I loved my scales. It was not my choice to get the new router. Comcast made me install new one. I had no problem changing over any product other than the Aria scales. Mine are also past warranty. They still work, they just dont sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I give up with this thing.  We have the WiFi connected OK, but all I ever get is Thinking-ERR.  The guide & email support just say "pull the batteries for 10 sec and retry".  Customer support is useless.  They do not seem to be able help us at all.

How do I tell the Aria to just be a scale?

Best Answer

But what about when they are not able to help?  They are useless.

@Matthew wrote:

@dorvisbunn If you are consistently seeing "Sensing", "Thinking", and then "Err" on your scale, please respond to your support case and let them know that you are seeing this specific pattern.  They will be able to assist you further once you provide them with these details.

Best Answer
0 Votes
They were kind enough to take mine back and send me a refund. I hope they are able to come out with an Aria that works someday.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Simcha6 Like most of life's interactions, communication is key. If you let our team know specifically what you are seeing as a result of the troubleshooting process, they will guide you to a solution. I understand that it's frustrating when technology doesn't work as you expect it to, but our team will not leave you without a resolution.

Best Answer
0 Votes
After chatting with support and another user, my aria is working perfectly.
If anyone is having trouble, make sure the scale is as close as possible to
your router and on a hard, flat surface - that's what made the difference!
Best Answer