Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria scale says I am a Guest

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Aria scale keeps registering me as a guest.

I have gone on the website and assigned those measurements to myself with several weigh ins. The issue persists. I did every step from your help article at https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Why-is-my-scale-recognizing-me-as-a-guest

I asked FitbitSupport on twitter for what to do. They directed me to other support channels at https://twitter.com/FitbitSupport/status/671125370855292928 where I got the contact number.

Now I am on hold for Fitbit to answer. It has been over an hour and 45 minutes. While I wait, can anybody help me fix this issue with my Aria scale, please?

Holding for Fitbit support.Holding for Fitbit support.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
178 REPLIES 178

Facing North didn't work.

Every time we pull batteries out, we are essentially making the scale forget and resetting it. This seems to be the default go-to for all FitBit products. If it doesn't work, reset it. The problem is, these things should work from day one. There shouldn't be this constant need to reset. Why should any of us need to do anything with these scales. Aside from initial set-up, these things should just work they way they are intended to without the need to constantly be messing around. Why should I even NEED to reset the scale if I'm the ONLY one using it. I should also note that the Aria2 uses symbols instead of initials which I really hate. It's easier to remember letters than symbols because you know, you set them to be your OWN initials. So there isn't a place to set initials in the fitbit app.

If I reset the scale back to factory defaults then after about 5 to 10 consecutive weigh-ins (must be one every day), it will remember me until I go back to weighing myself once a week, then it goes right back to forgetting who I am. I didn't think technology was supposed to go senile that quickly. These do fix the issue, but only temporarily before it eventually goes back to the same behavior and we are back to the reset again.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It worked! It was the waiting 15 seconds part that I wasn’t doing.

Thanks so much
Best Answer

I've tried everything in this thread.

I've tried several other methods like introducing myself and saying 'hi', 'how are you today', 'tell me about your day'. I've danced for it, bought it flowers, tried almost everything except making love with it but it still sees me only as a guest.

Anybody knows a solution to why my Aria doesn't want to know me?

Is it time to give her up and look for another scale to build a relationship?

Best Answer

Did you wait 15 seconds before replacing the batteries?  That was my issue.

I hope you two can work things out.  

Best Answer

Yes I did, waited 15, 30 seconds and a couple of minutes but she still doesn't want to know me.

Thanks for your reply and concern.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This still didn't work for me. It is on hardwood floor and I am the only user. I have to login on the computer to register myself every time. It is very annoying for a scale that is supposed to be smart, it sure has a lot of issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah I agree.

I've solved it by buying a Withings Body Cardio Scale, it works straight away without any hassle, it even was cheaper than the Aria when I bought it and has more measurements. My only regret is that I choose Fitbit first...

But I have a nice Fitbit doorstop now Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is the same issue with all FitBit devices. They have all these procedures for "fixing" it but why doesn't it just work as intended. Why do I have to constantly do things to reset this or reset that. I set my scale up, it worked for a few days, then it stopped. Why? Nobody ever really answers the question as to why a scale would suddenly change it's behavior. I think that there is an underlying software issue in the core of everything fitbit that has been coded badly or not coded in a way that would stop these things from happening. You would think that they would have people looking in to the WHY of these things and not just saying "reset" or "reboot" when those things are only temporary fixes. We've had countless issues with the watches as well. We have been a fit-bit family for several years but we are all slowing trying to find something other than fit-bit.

Best Answer

My scale always stays in the same place, on a hardwood floor. Sometimes it registers as me, sometimes it registers me as my spouse and sometimes it registers me as a guest. No carpeting is not the answer in this case.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the solution🙌

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've wasted a lot of time reading this and other forum posts and trying to figure out why I've been manually reassigning my weight measurement from Guest to my account for the last few years. Given the time I've spent I thought I should share some of my notes in case they are helpful to others. These are based on what I have seen, read, and learned in talking to a Fitbit rep today (1 (877) 623-4997 -- the first phone tree had an option (I think it was 2) for Aria, and I got on the phone with a friendly chap in less than a minute and had a pretty good conversation -- this may be the exception as far as responsiveness, but my one attempt suggests they can be reached and be helpful). My experience is with the original gen 1 Aria that came out in 2012. It is important to note that the Aria 2, which apparently features a larger screen, bgn networking, and some ability to tell the scale which user you are is likely a bit of a different beast when it comes to possible resolutions. I should also disclaim that my own scale appears to have a non-working BF% sensor and presumably because of that none of these will work for me.

Another aside: I've noticed that the weight my scale reports and the weight captured in my app are different, usually by .1 or .2 pounds. I would speculate that Fitbit is actually storing weight in kilograms and converting them to pounds to display (they apparently did something like that for British users measuring themselves in stones), but that is just a guess. If it is NOT a conversion/display issue and the weights are being captured as slightly different, that could be another source of the problem.

Summary of typical fixes I've seen, read about, and heard from tech support:

1. Ensure Aria is on a Smooth Level Surface: Place scale on a smooth and level surface such as bathroom tile, laminate, or hard wood. Tile may be preferred. Consider using a level to ensure chosen surface is level. Avoid carpet.

2. Ensure Body Fat % is Being Captured: According to tech support, BF% must be captured by the scale for the weight to be mapped to a user account. BF% may not be measured if 1) you aren't barefoot, 2) the scale surface is too dirty (wash it with a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol), 3) your feet are too dirty or too callused (consider a good wash or a pedicure), or 4) the BF% sensor is broken (this apparently happens).

3. Ensure Aria is sufficiently close to WiFi Router: Some have reported success after moving their scale closer to the router. This may be a coincidence or more reflective of a difference in the flooring, as it is hard to explain why connectivity issues would manifest in weigh-ins being relayed consistently and correctly but the user not being recognized.

4. Change Aria name to match your user initials: I don't have any idea why this would help, but some feel it has.

5. Update/Verify Fitbit Profile Settings: Make sure your profile settings show a weight that is consistent with what the scale currently reads; make sure the height and gender that is correct (I'd speculate that this affects how BF% is calculated, but that is just a guess).

6. Reassign or Remove all Existing Guest Weights from Log / History: I.e. Go through prior weigh-ins in the app or on the website and either remove or assign to a user all Guest measurements.

7. Alternative to 4 -- Extreme: Delete ALL PRIOR WEIGHT MEASUREMENTS. I believe you'd have to do this via the website because I don't think the app will show you the full record of measurements.

8. Reassign your weight from Guest to your Account Five Consecutive Times: Weigh yourself on the scale, allow it to call you a guest and sync online to your profile, then reassign your weight from Guest to your account. Repeat this process 4 more times (for a total of 5), at which point you should be recognized.

9. Remove Battery and Reassign Weight: Remove a single battery, wait at least fifteen full seconds (maybe go with 30 to be safe), and then repeat option 8.

10. Reset Aria using Pin Hole on Underside: I did this by inserting a paper clip end in the hole while a single battery was removed, reinserting the battery, and then removing the paper clip. I was told simply inserting the pin for 10 seconds while the scale was off (one battery remove) would do it, but that didn't seem to work for me. When I did it this put my scale into "Setup Active" mode, and I had to use the app to try to set it up again (and at the moment I can't get it to see any networks .. so tread carefully here). I was cautioned by tech support that if you insert the pin too long it may erase the actual program on the scale permanently so that the scale no longer does anything. 

11. Try Your Luck with a New Device: Life is short. We should probably put a cap on how much time we spend troubleshooting "automatically logs my weight". The Withings Cardio and Yunmai Smart Scale have been mentioned by others as potential alternatives that may be able to link to the Fitbit ecosystem. I'm the solo user of my scale and I've been reassigning my weight from guest for about five years. I wish they had a "default to user X" option instead of default to Guest.

12. Pay Attention to Your Invitations: Some folks said they felt like how the registered for Fitbit affected its ability to recognize them. E.g. who sent the invitations, did the use the website or app, etc. Again -- not sure why this would be a reason, but FYI.

Best Answer

Thanks, midofru, that's the first intelligent post I've seen about this.

We had the scales working right for two people, but it was continually showing the name of person 4 for person 3, and refused to say anything but Guest for person 4, with no option to tap to change it.

Dozens of weighings for them both, followed by correcting the name in the app, didn't change anything.

After reading midofru's post, I realised it wasn't showing BF for person 4. What I think fixed that was changing person 4's height on the website by a little bit. Next weighing, it said BF? for person 4 instead of just the weight. The weighing after that showed a BF reading and showed his initials. Then it started recognising person 3 as person 3. (Note, around this time I also changed person 4's "scale nickname". I can't see how that would have fixed it, but it might have, and I note that midofru has listed this as a possible fix. I had changed it before though, so I doubt it.)

My theory is that the change in height triggered the website to forward that to the scales, which made it start calculating BF.

I suspect we got into this mess because of an increase in weight that made person 3 and 4 weigh the same for a while, plus people weighing themselves in socks, plus people refusing to tap to correct the name if it was wrong.

Fitbit should really issue a through checklist of things to check and do to get things working. The official solutions are half baked and don't cover all situations.

I was able to speed up the testing by knowing everyone's login details, and by loading myself up with weights so I could do all the weighings myself. Hopefully I haven't set us up for future problems by doing that. I can fake the weight, can't fake the BF.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not in my case the scales are on a tiled floor.  It records as a guest every time.

Brian

Best Answer
0 Votes

Didn't help me. I've tried everything. Deleted the scales. Added them in. Do not buyt!!!

Best Answer

I heard google has bought Fitbit. Maybe they’ll put an end to this nonsense.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Lets Hope So I just had to buy a new one as my battery is not holding its
charge properly. Makes you wonder how long these electric vehicles are
going to last.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, why can't i access those instructions?! It says access denied!

Best Answer

Which instructions do you mean, MileD1975?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Xmnuz,

I was looking for the troubleshooting link to get the Aria to recognize me. I found it elsewhere, after 3 days of manually logging my weight it started recognizing me.

Thanks!
Mike

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

mine are also saying i am a guest but as i have gained over a stone in the past 10 weeks i am presuming it thinks i am someone else.Hopefully once i have lost that weight it will recognise me as i am hopeless at setting it up🤣

Best Answer
0 Votes