Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Sensing, Step Off, Thinking, Err" message

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Starting a new thread as the previous similar threads are marked as Solved, but when you read them they are NOT Solved, just full of unhappy ARIA customers and a fitbit moderator that gives the same advice time and time again despite it not working.

But unlike the other threads my issue did not start after I changed the batteries. I had only changed them 4 months ago (I put a little label on the cover when I change batteries on a device so I know how often it needs doing) and also my fitbit app says it fully charged. It also says the firmware is v39

As one of the troubleshooting steps was to take out the battery wait 15 seconds and replace I did this and noted my ARIA has a firmware of v29 (Not v39)

So why does my fitbit app report v39 for the aria when its actually on v29

Have fitbit pushed out a poor firmware update that has bricked our scales ??

if so then thats fitbit's fault, as at no stage was I asked to approve a firmware update or asked to automatically accept an update, in which case if fitbit broke it, they should fix it at their cost and regardless of the warantee status of out scales. (mine is out of warrantee) 

I tried everything the fit bit moderator suggested and all the troubleshooting steps that were referenced, so please dont tell me to do them again. Ask your product team if firmware v39 has broken our scales and can they fix it. PLEASE - Make your customers happy.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

Well the pin did not work for me and the scales will sadly be consigned to landfill.  Yes, I got the followup from support but that was only a link to the warranties are and you guessed it - My scales are more than a year old so there is nothing Fitbit will do.  A shame because for the time our family used them they were awesome now just an expensive mistake to learn from.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why do you not just tell us to revert to the warranty when we've followed your remedial steps without success. 

This is such a convoluted process and so frustrating for a non-tech enthusiastic Fitbit supporter!

What I needed was someone to say follow all these steps.... no luck?  Quick and clean!

Replacement scales are coming but ohhh   the time we've wasted on this problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbitreply to your message of 26/feb.

@JuanJoFitbit wrote:

@Jollyrotter @Joepass I'm sorry for the late response. However, I was able to get in touch with our Support team and was told that they reached you via email. Was a solution provided?

Yes - FitBit support did get in touch and I'm pleased to say that they found a solution for me which was to replace the scale with an Aria 2 (the Aria 1 is no longer available)

The scale arrived yesterday and I was able to weigh myself for the first time in two months. Thank you for your help. I hope the other people who have the same problem also get a resolution.

So, now what do I do about the 2.5 kg I have gained in the interim ….  🙂

Best Answer

Well done Jollyrotter,

Was your Aria 1 still under warranty?  Mine is over 12 months so not covered.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yep I hear ya. Mine is already dumped - super disappointed in the whole non effort by FitBit. Seemed like a great product until IT decided to stop functioning.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Apparently, there are a lot of hidden rules on this forum, so this will be my third attempt to post without being censored:

Has there been any REAL resolution to this problem? I currently have my THIRD Aria 1 scale, that was replaced twice for this problem. Now this one has the same problem. both other times it was under warranty, but not now. After the second failure, I asked for a refund, and they outright refused, so I was forced to accept the third (defective) unit.

What has Fitbit been willing to do to replace an obviously defective product that we all paid a lot of money for?

Has anyone that was out of warranty been able to convince Fitbit to stand behind their brand and replace this very obviously defective product? I sure would like a positive resolution since I purchased it in good faith that it would actually perform as advertised. Like all the other people on this thread, mine did not.

Best Answer

@zorrodog @Jeanne657 @LisaO62 @peteyj We understand that this isn't the resolution you were hoping for and your comments are appreciated.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you JuanJo, 

Although our (includes @Jeanne657 ) scales were out of warranty they have been replaced and we sure they will be well used and every bit as helpful to our health as the previous ones.   Having recently moved up to Fitbit Charge and Fitbit Versa respectively it will be a relief to be able to keep with Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have also had endless problems in the last 2 weeks and no help getting a solution despite chats and emails. The Aria scale is only 18 months old and I have been advised to buy a new one.

I am not surprised that Fitbit doesn't support their product or help their customers. I have had a total run around from them as well.

I wonder why your out of warranty scale was replaced when my 18 month old scale was not. They recommended that I purchase a new one. Why would I purchase a new $180 scale that doesn't last longer than 18 months. Ten dollars a month for a scale is too expensive.

no support from the company and money wasted

definitely no resolution, only a lot of wasted time trying to solve the problem ( how many times does someone have to tell me to remove the batteries)

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had a similar issue for months. I just tried the reset button, removing the batteries, etc. nothing has worked yet. we just moved 2 weeks ago so I had reset the wifi setting on it, so I know that didnt work to fix it. It's getting ridiculous. I have the same updated software.and no recent attempts from Fitbit to send a patch to fix it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
well, my aria 1 lasted 18 months...
will there be any staff reaching out to me to resolve this issue?
Thanks.

Tai
Best Answer
0 Votes
I hope so. I am still waiting to hear a response on mine. I've had mine for
about 4 years before this error started happening.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine also lasted 18 months and the company reached out to tell me to buy another one since the old one is out of warranty. Why would I throw good money after bad?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

No, I have not been contacted by them with any kind of resolution, just messages as to why they censored my posts...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

In case anyone on this thread is considering buying a new scale instead of waiting for Fitbit to resolve this, you may find my post interesting. I found a much more affordable replacement. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Reposting but removing content that apparently offended Fitbit.....

Explanation from Fitbit as to why they removed my post.....

I wanted to let you know that I've removed one of your recent posts, quoted below, as we don't allow discussion of legal action against Fitbit on the Community. We ask that you refrain from posting in this manner.
@Beckymasters71 -  Count me in.  I can't tell you the countless hours I have wasted trying to troubleshoot my Fitbit Aria 1 myself and on the phone with useless Fitbit Tech Support; the folks I've spoken with are friendly enough but have basically offered the exact same advice as found on the forums and it still hasn't solved the problem. And the suggestion to purchase a new Aria 2 @ $130 to replace my Aria 1 that stopped working after 18 months is just silly. I like my Fitbit Iconic but can tell you that I won't be purchasing another Fitbit product ever. I'm done. Just waiting for the Apple watch to have comparable sleep-tracking capabilities as Fitbit and I will make the switch."

Best Answer
Don't hold your breath... I've pretty much given up. If I see an action that might make them responsible for selling me a known defective item, I might be able to become whole again.
Best Answer

Gawd I thought I was crazy when this started on my aria. Battery draining, turning on mysteriously, now the stupid err message. No response from customer (no) support. New scale? Think we should be given a new one, not buy. Fitbit????? Where are you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good luck.  My Aria got the infamous 'err' message after 'thinking' and all I was told by support is that I was out of the 365 day warranty they offer and that they hoped I enjoyed my Aria while it worked for the couple years (what?! That's it?!) and then sent me to their site to order a new Aria.

Decided to take my business elsewhere and just ordered a new smart wifi scale that offers more features than Fitbit's Aria (1 and 2) for half the price and it gets EXCELLENT reviews and customer service seems to be much better as well based off reviews.  Will update forum when I get new scale, but overall it is a highly regarded scale that costs much less than Fitbit's Aria series.  Extremely disappointed with Fitbit's customer support given this is a software issue with their scales and they don't care to do anything about it except force you to order a new one if it's outside the short warranty - for $130+ scale, you'd think these things would last long than a couple years....

Best Answer
0 Votes

My battery died.  I changed it and now I get the error message too.  I noticed that the scale says v37 while the fitbit.com website states that it is v39.  I have looked for the fitbit update but do not see it anywhere.  It appears that the problem is an update that none of us can get our hands on....or has somebody figured out how to update?  Thanks!

Best Answer