Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Step off - Sensing - Thinking" Error

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi!

As many of the FitBit Aria users is seems that my unit has gone into "Step off - Sensing - Thinking - Error" mode.

I've read through the other similar threads, done the trouble shooting:

Remove one battery, wait 10 seconds, replace the battery, setup mode comes active and so on.

I've tried the same with fresh batteries.

Redone the setup process with both the web and the mac app.

Same result every time: Step off - Sensing - Thinking - Error

There have been no changes to my wifi network and I always use it bear footed.

I´ve even gone through the bother to remove all unknown devices that ever connected to my wifi router, just to be sure that I'd get a new network device, the aria, and guess what nothing happened.

This was done with the scales and computer both at less that a meter away from the wifi router. 

What can I do more?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
81 REPLIES 81

Please update me if you find a repair solution.  I can’t believe this product is truly ruined just because I changed the batteries.  I tried the superglue procedure with no success.  Please help.

Best Answer

Did this work for you? I also opened mine and found the broken arm. Have tried to glue but didn’t work

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, I couldn’t get mine to work correctly.  It seems really crazy that a crack in a small plastic part will totally render a not inexpensive scale totally useless. I am not pleased and I am looking at getting a Withings smart scale that Is highly rated.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How whas this problem handled???

I have the same problem and can't fix it...... 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

We had these errors, along with randomly turning itself on, wearing out batteries quickly, and mixing up people's accounts. If your scale is out of warranty, fitbit doesn't help you any, and you are considering throwing it out, try this first: Find a friend or local school or library with a 3D printer. Send them this link:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2988535  and ask them to print two replacement parts for your "front feet" on your printer.  Less than $1 for materials. Remove the back screws and pry apart the two halves of scale. (demos on youtube). Replace the cracked/bent pieces and reassemble. Mine has worked just fine for 3 months now. It looks a bit scratched up now, but no more errors, no more turning on randomly, no longer wearing through batteries. No I wouldn't buy another fitbit scale, but glad I get a little more use out of this one because I did like it, except for this major design flaw.

Best Answer

I have tried all of the tips and resetting and reconnecting and re set up and nothing has worked. Literally everything i did right and it still isnt working. i need help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Aria scales are also showing ERR after stepping then it says step off....thinkimg then ERR.   I have factory reset, removed, readded it to fit bit same problem. And I believe this was an app update that caused this. I want this resolved or Im going with Garmin watch and scales. 

Best Answer

Good luck.  I tried everything recommended and contacted fitbit with no answer only that if the fitbit isn't in warranty then they won't do anything.  Appalling customer service.  Such a shame as its such a good scale.  Recently I left it for about 3 months.  Again put in new batteries and thought, wow, the rest has done it good as it worked - ONCE - it worked once and then did its own thing with the same error message.  Garmin for me now.   

Best Answer

So upsetting.  I recently saw how much I paid for my Fitbit scale and it makes me sick that they consider it disposable.  I threw it out and bought a Withings Scale that is much cheaper and syncs with a number of Apps.   Nice looking too 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is this scale easily to sinc with the fitbit app?

I also experienced this......... Very weak of fitbit...

Really upsetting!!

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very easy - just a shame it doesn't work !  🤣

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you changed the wifi, it is very likely that your router doesn't have the b standard active. Go to WIFI advanced settings on the router, make sure 802.11 b/g/n is active.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I read several threads about the Aria suddenly starting the Step off...Step off...Step off...ERR message. 

Reset did not work, stepping on it five times did not work, etc.  I finally read about someone who found some broken plastic bits inside, that caused the multiple sensors to cause the software to be confused, ending in ERR. 

So I opened up our Aria, and in looking for any broken plastic bits I found none!  But in examining the four sensors, I discovered that the white platic assembly had come loose from the black plastic clip that would usually hold the white plastic assembly in place; instead it 'floated'...evidently causing the ERR.  I pushed it back in place, put batteries in to dry run a test without the case, and IT WORKED again.  So I put the bottom cover back in place, and our Aria is once again working!

--Wilton

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Wilton,
That’s great that you were able to fix yours. Unfortunately, I had broken pieces inside mine. Hopefully, your post will help others.
Jeff

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

It is Fitbit issue not part broken.  See how many cases here now. 

My story. Bought fitbit aria 1 at 2017 office works.   At 2018 after battery changed it show error thinking error.  Claimed warranty and gave me a new one.  Then I hardly to use it 

Then 2021 Jan. It is exactly same error again after battery change.   As no more warranty left. And I opened inside. Nothing broken. 

Did you hear other brand have same issue ?  Feeling like fitbit programmed this way.  Only last one battery round....    From 2017 I read online until now still not solved yet . Disappointing..

Best Answer

Pried my Aria (8+ years old) open and there are no plastic pieces inside. 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The white 'springs' around the sensor had broken on mine  - tried to glue it.   Didn't work.  Someone posted some 3-D printed parts, but I just ended up buying a new scale - 

Best, Mike

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Zombywoof How did you get it opened? I narrowed it down to which sensor could be broken by testing the feet. One is super loose and the other 3 are fine. So I added shims to 3 (including the one I suspected as being the problem) and it showed the error, then I switched the shims to not include the one I suspected as a problem with the result of the error not happening, so it's definitely the really loose one....but HOW do I get it opened. Mine appears to be glued not screwed. I don't want to break it, but at this point it's not really working. Quite an expensive device to be so fragile. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Could you tell me what the advice was please?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@StampMyArt  I know this might be a little to late in responding but to get the back off of the Aria remove the 2 small philips (star) head screws in the battery compartment and then use a stiff lever tool (I used a large metal nail file) around the entire outside edge to work the back off the holding pins.  You may have to go around the scale a few times to completely get the back off.

I opened mine up after working with the less than useless customer service department that has no real service department just online receptionists who tell you to buy a new scale. I didnt find any broken plastic piece(s) in my scale and mine like others quit working after the batteries were replaced.  I originally put in lithium AA batteries right from the start which was probably a bad idea since the batteries lasted longer than the warranty did.  So once the batteries died so did the scale. As this was honestly a way too expensive scale to have it just die just outside the warranty period and have no service support, there is no chance I will spend the money to replace it with another Fitbit.  In fact, we have been a Fitbit free home now for a while.  Every Fitbit product our family purchased have now died only one died while still under warranty and was replaced the rest died just out of warranty so no help there.  Given the price of Fitbit products and the horrendous Lack of Service Department no further Fitbit products will EVER be purchased. The scale was just the last straw.  Good luck I hope you are able to get yours going again.

Best Answer
0 Votes