Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection error on Aria 2

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I got an Aria 2 scale with a Christmas Amazon voucher and set it up with little problem.

However my hub was getting old and losing its connection so Virgin Media sent me a new hub today.

I’ve connected everything else in the house successfully to the new hub except my Aria 2 scales.

It appears to connect successfully but I’ve noticed that the app doesn’t appear to save the network connection details.

The scales themselves keep showing “Connection Error”.

I’ve tried to connect now at least a dozen times. I’ve also tried deleting the app from my phone and reinstalling it. And also getting the app to forget the scales and then re-adding them.

I really think the issue is a software one - because as soon as the scales connect ok - the app then just shows a blank where the network should be.

The scales themselves are still working fine.

Hoping someone can help me please?

thanks

Ruth

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
40 REPLIES 40
I have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz signal.
That’s not the issue. As I understand it - the issue is that the Aria 2 needs an older protocol 800.11b whereas my new hub uses the newer 800.11ac.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Liverpool-Ruth @southpole Thank you guys for sharing your feedback.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issue, I also have virgin wifi. It's driving me crazy, I only bought the scales today and I'm seriously thinking of returning them! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
My issue resolved itself but it took a few weeks.

However the scales did always (and still do) sync every night over night.
--
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm the same, I have virgin wifi. App says they are connected but after I weigh myself the scales come up with a connection error message and 😞 face.

Did anyone find a solution of do I need to return my scales for a refund?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I don’t know of a fix - but mine started working again - after about a
month.
--
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

So they don't work as they should and sync after weigh in? Impossible to get help from Fitbit on this!

It's pretty bad in my opinion. Fitbit really not much help on this issue!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hey
Mine do now sync immediately on weighing - for a good month or so after I
swapped from a Virgin Hub 2 to a Virgin Hub 3, they only synced once a day
- overnight - but then they just starting working as they had before, ie
syncing immediately on weighing.
No idea why.
Thanks
Ruth
--
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

If the scale syncs overnight, then this is not a router protocol issue (802.11b vs 11ac etc).  The scale clearly CAN connect to the router.  Also, if it used to sync at weigh-in time, but not anymore, then this is unlikely to be a router issue.

Much more likely is that FitBit's server infrastructure is overloaded, and cannot handle the daytime load of people weighing in simultaneously.

MY guess is the description of the "CONNECTION ERROR" message is in the manual is inaccurate.  It says "The scale can't connect to your Wi-Fi network but the cause is unknown."  More likely what it really means is "I couldn't connect to the server and complete the task of syncing".

Best Answer
0 Votes
That makes sense and explains why mine just started working again.
Thank you
--
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

FYI this happened to me today with an Aria 2 after years of working fine. I'm on Comcast, and it synchronized fine earlier today. Then constant "Connection error" messages. I have 9 devices on my mesh wifi network using both 2.4 and 5GHz.

I did all the steps I've seen here and on other places including setting up a guest network, resetting router/wifi, removing device from configured devices in router (Linksys Velop v1), removing device from Fitbit app, adding device with phone (iPhone XR) on wifi with data mode disabled, performing hard reset on Aria2... it would get through the green check indicating it synchronized correctly, and this would even be shown in the Fitbit app "Synced today, ....". Then "connection error" after trying to actually weigh myself.

I noticed some weirdness in my router's DHCP DNS information... so I added 8.8.4.4 as the primary DNS server there. Boom! Worked fine.

I suspect Comcast is doing some "creative" things with traffic shaping. Good luck trying to talk people through this one, Fitbit... this is one time where an internal list of static IPs might be a good backup solution.

Best Answer

Same I am having the same connection error, connects fine for 10 secs then looks like it is loading and comes up with a connection error display. Just bought today as well, very frustrating 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My router is set for mixed b/g/n and the Aria 2 still won't read any networks (and not just mine, but no networks at all).

cdf

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry I can’t help. My scales just started working.
When I got the Connection Error they would sync overnight each day.
--
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

My Aria 2 used to connect to my WiFi just fine. I have Fiber internet so everything is set to 802.11n or 802.11ac 

my Aria 2 just stopped connecting to WiFi and now won’t sync even though it use to on the same internet. I read the other community comments. I removed my Aria 2 and was trying to reset it up but am not seeing the “AriaXXXXXX” on my phone or computer device to even set it up and now it looks like there are router technology issues? What do I do if it was working previously? I’ve had the same WiFi router and tech for over a year now and I’ve had the Aria 2 for less. 

nastasia 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry mine just started working itself ... no idea why!

--
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue, what does this mean?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry it resolved itself for me after a couple of weeks.
--
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

OK

The Aria2 uses 802.11b/g/n 2.4Ghz

The VM hub supports this but also supports 

802.11an/ac 5Ghz

it seems to default to the latter so even though the Aria2 should connect it doesn’t.  

To fix. 
open browser and connect to your hub.  
usually 192.168.0.1   so just type that as the address you want to go to.  
password is on underside of router.  NB.  Admin password NOT WiFi password

go to Advanced Settings..Wireless..Wireless Signal.

Disable 5ghz wireless.  
Apply Changes.  

Test WiFi still works on your device and then test the scales.  They should connect ok. 

Now, you can either leave as is or if you wish to reenable 5Ghz do the following.  
Go to .....

Advanced Settings..Security..

find the area that shows Attached Devices.  
You should see a list of all devices connected to your WiFi - But not the scales as these are not turned on.  
Stand on the scales to wake them up. 

click the Attached Devices REFRESH button 

keep pressing until the Aria2 appears and you can see the device details. 
Now select the Aria2 device 

then Add Device.   It should be showing as 2.4Ghz. 
if there is a second entry which has invalid entry then Delete It.   
Apply Changes
retest Aria 2 by standing on it.  It should connect OK.  
Now go back to the earlier instructions to locate and reenable the 5Ghz frequency. 

NB.  I had to do the above a few until it worked.  Hopefully yours will work first time.  

If for any reason you screw up and the router stops working just press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 60seconds to reset it to factory default.  

good luck.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Aria 2 was working for a couple of years and then suddenly stopped recognizing me. It recorded  my weight as Guest. 

I tried to forget the scale on my app and changed the batteries. Now it won’t even connect back to the app.  Nothing has changed including WiFi. Can someone help to first connect Aria back and then have aria recognize me. Thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes