Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity difficulties between Aria and Comcast/Xfinity routers

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone! It has come to our attention that some users are experiencing issues with syncing/setting up Aria scales with Comcast/Xfinity routers and we are currently reviewing. 

There is a workaround that has helped most users. For this, follow the instructions below:

• Once logged in,  visit https://internet.xfinity.com/more
  • Edit wifi settings under "Additional Settings"
  • Click on 2.4 frequency edit button.
  • Select g/n, hit save.
  • When the screen refreshes, click edit again, select b/g/n and hit save. 
  • Stand on scale
  • Continue with the regular setup process

Thank you all for your patience. Any update available, I'll make sure to share it in this thread.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
607 REPLIES 607

As previously reported for Comcast/Xfinity  Arris  TG3482G modem/router not compatible. The day it was installed my Aria failed to sync regardless of any updates or sync attempts. Comcast is phasing out support of "b" formatted wifi on new equipment.

Best Answer

I tried those instructions exactly (several times) and still can not get reconnected.  I also have Comcast and my make is Arris and model TG1682G.  My dad has the same model as me and the workaround instructions worked for him last night but he was kicked off again today and cant get reconnected.  Please help!  I haven't been able to use my scale for months now.

Best Answer

Mobile apps developers, god bless them trying to keep up!  But in this case, it’s become apparent that one source needs to be fixed.  If we all have different internet providers, different routers, different operating systems, and none of the scales are working, fix the source!   Think about it, all of the other Fitbit devices are working.  Forget about the quick router fix, as yes, as soon as you reconnect the next day, the default settings kick back in.

Best Answer

When will there be a firmware upgrade to deal with Aria's failure to connect to modern routers and remain secure? Otherwise, its just a piece of junk in my home right now.

I just found another issue is that the aria will only connect to routers using alpha numeric characters in their passwords. As you know, Uverse and other secured networks don't rely only upon alpha numeric characters. I don't plan on changing my secure password on 20 Hue Lights, my Nest, two phones, three Ipads, a Roku TV, two FireTV's, and 6 Echo devices because of the failure of Fitbit to keep current on security requirements. Very disappointed and actually quite angry.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have noticed same. I changed one to accommodate the scale. What happens now is that I still get the Thinking & ERR stuff, but the weight is transmitted to , and can be seen on the Fitbit site, but is not displayed ( or returned to scale?).

Capt. Kees E. Kruisheer from my IPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have an Xfinity router. Device type XB3. Model: DPC3941T

I logged into my router and changed the settings to include 802.11b/g/n (it was set to just g/n, as many others have described). The configuration did not hold and my scale still cannot sync.

FitBit - my Surge also recently stopped syncing. I have contacted support who has 3 times, in 3 separate emails, asked me to perform the same troubleshooting steps. It is as if the support staff is not reading case history. I have been a loyal customer since 2011 and owned no less than 7 devices. Nearly every device has had issues at some point, but the customer service was phenomenal, so I stuck with it.

I am so frustrated by both of these issues that I have been researching other options, such as Garmin.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been loyal to Fitbit since 2013. But I am so over this. I am also thinking about jumping over to Garmin. Ugh...

Best Answer
0 Votes

+1 for same issue, using xfinity (but seems that doesn't matter).

Have reconnected Aria multiple times, and it works for couple mins, then loses wifi again. On firmware v39   

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Aria last synced on 3/28/18

I had been weighing myself every morning, and did not notice the wifi error until about a week later. 

The scale is less that 3' away from the router. It appears other users have had similar issues around the same time, but all I can find on the forums are their similar complaints, no solution. An x appears over the wifi logo as an error message -it  appears briefly after the sync icon tried for about 10 animations. There are no words or other warnings, That is why it took me a while to realize it wasn't syncing. I actually noticed the lack of data in my FitBit app before realizing the scale wasn't syncing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have a dual band router that runs on 2.4g and 5g? If so, your 2.4g mode is likely set to 802.11 g/n (standard) and the Aria requires it run on mode 802.11 b (which will basically kill off your 5g band from what I've been told). I just spent the last several hours undoing all the damage I did by changing my mode to b from g/n...

A scale isn't worth this mess. Looks like I'm done with Aria....

Best Answer
I actually went though that hassle when I first set up my Aria. I had to go
in and are sure I had a network set to 802.11 b, I even changed the name of
my network to remove any non alpha/numerical characters. I made sure there
was a proper network JSUT for the Aria, and then I had to go to all of my
other devices in my home and life and update the network settings.

I only had my Aria for about a month. The hassle of set up was killing me
between phone and computer and finally figuring out the network issue. It's
frustrating that FtiBit hasn't even responded with the proper way to reset
the Aria and network, other than just an entire re-set up - and that was
such a hassle.
Best Answer

Yes, I have a dual band router, but following all the recommendations did not help. New routers no longer support the “b” WiFi protocol required by the Aria series. Not to be serious but perhaps you rename the Aria  **ahem**. No letters or special characters of course.

P-O-S renamed ahem by the auto correct

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Thanks so much for this workaround.  It worked pefectly the first time I did it.  I believe when Xfinity (my ISP) does updates and reboots of there system I will need to do this from time to time but it's better than paying for a scale that does'nt work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have given up trying to fix this.  It messes up almost every day and I personally am not going to go through the trouble. Now, when I weigh myself, I have my phone and enter the new weight.  A Hassle.

As others have written, I wish Aria would acknowledge that this scale will not work.  It should be front and center before anyone else buys this scale from now on.  Comcast will not support the "b" technology so "  Buyer Beware"!!!!

I have had the scale for several years so I understand the technology issue.  What is disappointing is that the new Aria appears to have the same problem from what I have read.  I'm not going to spend $150 on a scale that doesn't incorporate the newest technology.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow a big group of people with Aria issues around the same time. This look very suspicious. I suspect Fitbit pushed some software update to mess our older Aria scales to nudge us into buying newer ones  or maybe their new version Aria 2.

"Last time my Aria recorded weight was on Feb 24, 2018. 

Maybe with others we can find a pattern of when their scales stopped working."

Best Answer

I am so disgusted with Fitbit it's always the same. Customer service rep is script reading telling me to call Comcast.  I bought this scale in July 2017 and as of March it will not sync. I am tired of troubleshooting and trying to get it to work.  These products have been very ify lately my Alta gold series also.  There has got to be a better product on the market. Nothing has changed I refuse to continue to indulge in anymore Fitbit products and I will be telling my friends also.

Best Answer

I have the latest ang greatest from Comcast  ( XFi advanced gateway ) and b channel for 2.4 is not even an option g/n only

Best Answer

Reported this to Fitbit in April with no real response. They are not interested in staying ahead of technology.

Best Answer
I agree totally

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is what I have been doing as well.

Best Answer