Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428
Today I used the "Track my exercise" to use the GPS on my Blaze. When I was done the "Track my Exercise" stats showed 14000+ steps while my dashboard showed 11000+ steps. Do you know why that would be?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes music control does work from any screen. A ls stated in the main thread on music control, hold on the top right button.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well I'm really disappointed got my fitbit blaze today and the GPS tracking doesn't seem to connect.  I have a Note 4 ANdrois version 5.1.1 I have it connected to bluetooth and GPS on but I can't get it to connect .  If this won't work I;ll be sending this fitbit back and go back to using my one.

Fitbit One + MyFitnessPal = - 100lbs
::You can't outrun your fork ::
Best Answer
0 Votes

@LocoMutant do you have notifacations enabled on the Blaze? Swipe down while on the home screen, or hope the top right button from any screen.

Is the Fitbit app running at least in background.

Does the Blaze say "Connecting to phone", then what message do you see?

This error message could be a clue as to where the problem is.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue Yes I have notifications enabled, and the fitbit is running in the background on the app I even click the tracking tile and get gps to pin point my location.  I have the GPS on and bluetooth enabled and synced.  When I go to the blaze when I select walk I get connecting to phone and then I get a red phone in the corner with a cross and it says check fitbit app.

Fitbit One + MyFitnessPal = - 100lbs
::You can't outrun your fork ::
Best Answer
0 Votes

When you go to the FitBit App on the Note, does it show connected (always connected - i.e. a blue bluetooth icon right next to the Blaze)?

I had this issue at some point (and ocassionally once every couple of weeks).  I restart the phone, and also restart the device.  Wait for a couple of minutes for BT to connect the device to the phone and then check the Fitbit App again.  If it shows always connected, it will (should) also find the GPS on the phone from the Exercise Walk (and otheractivities) menu.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why does my phone needs to be connected to the internet to be able to use the GPS connected feature in my Blaze? This really sucks when I am visiting new countries and I don't have Internet during my run.

Is there any reason for this? why can't we just use the connected GPS feature without internet?

Also, it would be great if we could share the GPS exercises with the map as a google-maps-view instead of attaching pictures to it.

Endomondo is really cool for this, and when you click on the map you can see a full view of details of your friends exercie, please implement something like that soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MiichaelD the Android phone does not need any internet connection to use the connected GPS. I'll assume it's the same for iOS.

@LocoMutant I had the same "Can't find phone" tonight. I first tried going into the settings on the Blaze and then did a Shutdown. Started it up and it connected right away.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi @Rich_Lau.
I realized that I need internet connection to start an exercise with GPS (at least at the beginning) other wise I would get a Cannot find phone error.
In the US I never go this problem since I always have my data turned on, but now that I am travelling somewhere else I noticed it and also It is confirmed in this post, it says that the app shouls be open and internet connection is required.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting doing a search of your phones model I see you have the international version of my phone.

I just tried again, I turned all Internet connections off, left BT on, the Blaze had no problems.

So I'll try something else and put the phone into airplane mode, turn on Bluetooth, yup I get phone not found. Restarted  tracker, still not connecting.

I turn off Airplane mode, then go into settings and turn network off, the GPD connected.

Not sure if this helps but I find on airplane mode it doesn't work, but going into settings and turning off all internet access does work for me.

BTW my month started yesterday and I'm already at 1.8 gig of data.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@MichaelD, that is my experience. Connected GPS works without internet, but will not set up the connection without internet.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,, I had the same issue after toggling between Preview Dashboard and previous one. I sorted it by doing a reset on Blaze, (left button & bottom right together), and switching phone of and rebooting it. I then reconnected and fault was gone. Hope this helps, (I'm on IPhone 6). 😃
dhywb ?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe I'm just not getting it but I've done everything correctly (seemingly) and I cannot find the map of the route I tracked yesterday. I'm an Android user with Fitbit Blaze (yes...I'm a newb!) and I had Bluetooth, Data and Location Services all turned on in my device settings and my phone was fully charged and connected to my Blaze. I had the Blaze fully charged, paired and connected to my phone. I went to the Exercise section on my Blaze and selected walk. I waited for it to find my phone, then made sure the phone was locked onto my location. I tapped go and went on my way with my phone on my hip. When I finished, I tapped pause and then the flag to see my stats. The stats were great and I loved seeing that data...gave me encouragement to work harder. However, nowhere on the device or my phone can I find the map that was supposed to be tracking my walk. Friend suggested that perhaps I was supposed to tap the "go" arrow within the app on my phone to track my movement but if that's the case, why did I pay WAY more money for the Blaze to have "connected GPS" if I still have to use my phone's app to accomplish GPS tracking?!! What am I missing!?! Help please! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi , I had a similar issue on iphone6 whilst on holiday, as soon as I had a decent WiFi connection, the maps were all pulled through the to accompany the data I could already see. Not sure if this helps.... 😕

Dave...
dhywb ?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, Dave. But unfortunately, it doesn't help me! Even with wi-fi on, I still don't get a map of the walk. I've got stats for heart rate, calories and impact but no map of the route. Maybe I'm expecting it to show up somewhere it isn't supposed to or maybe I'm just not going to the right place within the app. (That's my suspicion!) Either way, it's very frutstrating! Thanks anyway!

Best Answer
0 Votes
It sounds like that watch is not actually using the GPS of your phone and
its just recording the steps rather than mapping the route ?

Is it definitely showing as phone connected when you start?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't read all the posts on this topic, so sorry if I am repeating somebody.  On the Fitbit app on your phone, using the new dashboard, chose the Weekly Excercise Tile that has the pentagon (well, if your goal is 5 days per week) with the person running inside of it and it will say, for example, "2 of 5 Days" in it.  Scroll down the list of days until you find the day you walked with the map and you will find it there.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I fixed mine by turning power saving mode off on my phone.  Now I get the maps on my run. I have t tried walks. 

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

gaz 3287 "It sounds like that watch is not actually using the GPS of your phone and
its just recording the steps rather than mapping the route ?
Is it definitely showing as phone connected when you start?"

It was. I double-checked all settings before I set off on my way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yooper: "I haven't read all the posts on this topic, so sorry if I am repeating somebody.  On the Fitbit app on your phone, using the new dashboard, chose the Weekly Excercise Tile that has the pentagon (well, if your goal is 5 days per week) with the person running inside of it and it will say, for example, "2 of 5 Days" in it.  Scroll down the list of days until you find the day you walked with the map and you will find it there."

That's exactly where I went, expecting to find the data and maps but no maps.

Best Answer
0 Votes